1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Club Bergantino! Let's See Those Rigs!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by needmoney, May 10, 2007.

1. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I use a REF-210 and REF-112 and it is kind of the modular 322.. You can also go with the HD's or the HT-ER's with the same cab combo and get great results...

Lex P., kevk, Lepparda and 1 other person like this.
  2. Lepparda

Lepparda

Sep 21, 2016
    The HD112/210 set up sounded pretty good at rehearsal yesterday.

FE3BEB89-A99E-4C68-A034-9269381651AC.

Joshbazz, zon6c-f, Joshua and 5 others like this.
  3. PeterF

PeterF Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2005
    North East Wisconsin
    Thanks guys. Anyone interested in trading an original HT/EX 112 ministack + some cash for one of the above mentioned set ups? The stack I have is GREAT just not quite enough for LOUD and below E

Joshbazz likes this.
  4. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Get a Ref-210 and add it to your 12's, one or both. Just an idea.

Mark

Joshbazz and David A. Davis like this.
  5. PeterF

PeterF Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2005
    North East Wisconsin
    I was thinking something like that
    thanks

6. Dan Robbins

Dan Robbins Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Central CA
    DCE2C9BD-94AD-450E-964C-1C0710970296. 250DC025-ADB3-4E73-A251-42759216222B.

Idiot Fish 3 cd release show at Art Boutiki, San Jose, California

The HG710 was tearing the roof off yesterday. I added a little bass on the Mesa D 800+ to fill out the bottom since these cabs are sealed. I ended up pulling out my mark bass tube 800 and trying it as a preamp into the Mesa. The tone improved greatly to my ears, and to the soundman and clubowners and bandmates. Fuller, Punchier, Bigger, and yet more clear. I am in enamored with the Markbass preamps. Unfortunately, they only go down to four ohms so I basically used the Mesa for EQ and to drop down to the 2.67 ohm load.
    The rig Definitely doesnt go as low as some ported cabs— it is pretty close with the bass boosted a bit— but at high-volume and for articulate playing this is absolutely the best sound I’ve ever had! It stays so tight and punchy without getting wooley or indistinct. My band mates in two of my bands absolutely love the sound! The sealed vibe would not be everyone’s cup of tea but I am loving it! Keep in mind I was coming from a barefaced big baby 2 which is the deepest bottom in a cab that I have personally ever owned. And honestly, I think it’s a bit too much.
    I was less than halfway up on the master and there was no need for more volume. I can’t imagine ever needing more.
    Best rig I’ve ever owned by a long shot!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Joshua, mwbonsall, Fuzzbass and 4 others like this.
  7. Dan Robbins

Mar 19, 2006
    Central CA
    Now THATS a happy bass player!!!
    I was even happier once I put the mark bass tube 800 preamp into the Mesa.

3B500810-BE5C-4413-A69D-67F582045A4E.

Jeffrey Wash, zon6c-f, Joshua and 6 others like this.
  8. husky123

husky123 Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Leesburg, VA
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses and Bergantino Audio Systems
    You had me at HG710.

dood, NOLA Bass, Joshua and 3 others like this.
  9. Dan Robbins

Mar 19, 2006
    Central CA
    You know what, I wonder if that HG410 is even broken in yet… The bottom will likely get deeper

10. mwbonsall

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Killer rig, all the way around. The height of the cabs is perfect. Have you tried the B Amp with that setup?

Mark

11. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    Used but minty REF112 on the way. Can’t wait to pair it up with one or both of my REF210’s.:bassist::hyper:

Hmmm, I may have to keep my eyes open for a second one.

looper, Fuzzbass, kevk and 2 others like this.
  12. Dan Robbins

Mar 19, 2006
    Central CA
    Thanks Mark! It really does sound amazing for what I am after. And those
    @Carey Nordstrand pickups just kill. Big single, big blade in the fretted, and big rigs in the fretless. NYXL strings are just epic for roundwounds. My favorite ever. And they last a long time.
    There is so much clarity now with the HG 710 at high-volume, it’s both incredibly inspiring, and very humbling… You can hear everything perfectly balanced and it’s just really makes me want to practice more because everything is laid bare. It’s kind of a clean slate for development of your technique to the utmost. As fast as you want to play, it’s all coherent. There’s no excuses. Whatever you put in comes out with stunning clarity, punch, and balanced tone from low to high, yet it’s still warm and with tons character. Not too hi-fi or sterile in any way. Just lovely!

BTW the HG410 on its own is fantastic. If you like the HG310, you’ll LOVE the HG410, if you need more volume and depth. The HG310 gets super loud by itself—with amazing tone. I haven’t even really pushed the HG410 by itself. I probably could have played the show last night with only the HG410 but you know… Had to try the HG710!!

Hgeaven!!!
    ( sorry, couldn’t resist!)

@mwbonsall, I have not tried the B amp. It sounds like I am due for a trip to Gelb Music in Redwood City to check it out… but there’s nothing like actually using it at a gig or rehearsal in the space that you know at volume… With your own rig, etc.

@Jim Bergantino do you have a profile for the HG710 yet? Want to make one and send me an amp to try :)? Pretty please? I could show it to all of my bass students at home and at San Jose State and Santa Clara University… Probably sell an amp or two. I would likely buy it, especially if it has a brighter voice than the Mesa; more like my beloved 2016 Markbass tube 800.

How would you guys describe the voice of the B amp? I know that it has programmable EQ points and stuff. And that it can go down to 2.67 ohms. What is the impedance of the input of the amp? That’s incredibly important with piezoelectric upright bass pick ups. I guess I need to look online. Has anyone tried it was an upright bass? I use a David Gage realist lifeline pick up. Anyone using that set up? Does it digitize your audio signal? Or is it just digital control?

Well I am totally rambling on here but anyways… Thought I would share the love!!! If you can answer any of the questions above, please chime in!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    bebass likes this.
  13. crossover

crossover Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2010
    NY
    *in response*

Did someone say Reference 2x10 Cab? Offering up a mint example, at a nice discount - details found here

14. My B|amp isn't with me at the mo, but iirc it goes to 2 ohms.

I'd describe the voicing as neutral. It replicates or amplifies YOUR bass accurately. And it's eq is so malleable that you can get pretty much anything from it.
    The built in, and very adjustable drives, allow a great deal of variation here too.
    Into Berg cabs, it really slams! The onboard profiles for matching Berg cabs is just superb

mwbonsall likes this.
  15. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I have an older AE410. That was probably one of the shortage series cabs. I wish I waited to get some of his newer 410's.

16. mwbonsall

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    You nailed it, perfect description.

Mark

17. AmazingMumford

AmazingMumford Supporting Member

May 8, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Nothing wrong with the AE410--you've got a great cab! All Bergantinos are different shades of excellent. If you can swing a newer model, great, but don't agonize if you can't. The audience won't notice the "2-3%" difference.

Sanchan, Bassist30 and Fuzzbass like this.
  18. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I guess you are right but it was a short lived series. He had to realize something was not right. But it sounds pretty good.

19. AmazingMumford

AmazingMumford Supporting Member

May 8, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I may be remembering it incorrectly, but I thought that the run-up in the neodymium market had something to do with the "premature" end to the series rather than any design considerations. By the time prices came back down, there were some small improvements in the drivers that could be implemented (many find the new 10s and tweeter slightly more to their liking, but I emphasize the "slightly"). The HG and HDN series are great, but, if my "desert island" cab had to be an AE410, there would be no complaints. I have one, along with HT, HD, Ref, and NV cabs, and the AE is definitely no slouch.

GregC, rodl2005, jerry and 2 others like this.
  20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I had both the AE/212 and a AE4/10, they both sounded great to me and the two people I sold them to still love them. I just wanted to go more modular. Jim always seemed to move on in his product lines, always innovating and improving. I started with his initial HT series and I still think those cabs crush!