1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Club Bergantino! Let's See Those Rigs!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by needmoney, May 10, 2007.

1. Jim Bergantino

Jim Bergantino Commercial User

Feb 27, 2003
    Bergantino Audio Systems
    This is incorrect. The speed of a woofer is directly related to its transient response which is dictated by the rate of change of current thru the voice coil. And since a voice coil is essentially an inductor, and inductors don't like the current to change thru them, the higher the inductance, the slower this rate of current change thru the coil and the "slower" the transient response or speed of the woofer. The transient response is also directly related to the frequency response. If you compare two similar size woofer's responses, one with a longer, higher inductance VC and one with a shorter, lower inductance VC, you notice the frequency response of the shorter coil extends higher. Mass has nothing to do with it. Mass does effect sensitivity and resonance but not speed. It is a constant in the force equation, as is BL (Motor strength- assuming it's a well designed motor). The rate of change in current is proportional to the acceleration of the system which is directly affected by the voice coil's inductance.

Put simpler, speed and acceleration are time variant parameters. So when you say the "speed" of a woofer is pretty much the magnetic force (BL) divided by the moving mass, you have a quotient derived by dividing two constants. There isn't a time variant parameter to be found in this equation.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    tombowlus, 3rdcurve, JGR and 9 others like this.
  2. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC

Lauzon custom dual coils. Kind of reminds me of F bass pickups, in a good way.

lo-freq likes this.
  3. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Sorry if this has already been discussed, but do folks recommend a HG410+HDN112 stack? I saw the combo posted on instagram and wondered if that's a good idea. Looked awesome though!

4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Isn't that 112 just going to get overwhelmed by the 410? Might be hard to even hear it.

5. Dan Robbins

Dan Robbins Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Central CA
    F62D8902-E72F-425A-A480-2ED29E0E4AB8. In my experience I would stick with the same size speakers… I think adding a 12 would get blurry. It always does for me.

HG410 and HDN 210 sounds EPIC. I might even like it better than HG710!!!,

there, I said it!!!!

5StringPocket and Fuzzbass like this.
  6. Well, I'm assuming the 12 is 8 ohms, and the 410 is 4, so, not THAT much of an imbalance of power.. . But, still ?
    I know nussink

Dan Robbins likes this.
  7. Dan Robbins

Dan Robbins Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Central CA
    I would guess that the brighter tweeter on the HDN112, as well as the deeper low end extension, could be a nice complement to the HG410.

Although, the immediacy of attack of the sealed HG410 might be compromised. You never know until you try!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  8. jazztonebass

jazztonebass

Apr 23, 2012
    Considering an HG 410 or a pair of Ref 210's. What sonic differences might I expect?

Dan Robbins likes this.
  9. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Just picked up this IP-112 that I’ve been hoping to pair with my Julie Monique for a long time. Really enjoying it paired up with an Nv115

4AA89020-BA57-4B7F-AB7C-5F7C1110DD10.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  10. Friday night. B|Amp > NV215 and Alleva-Copolllo EUT5. Such clarity with much oooomph! :hyper:
    20180705_221125.

zon6c-f, mwbonsall, Fuzzbass and 7 others like this.
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

From last night. I love sealed cabs for conditions like this: plate glass behind the band, concrete floor in front. Tight lows made the best of a poor situation.

IMG_20180707_205721.

zon6c-f, Dan Robbins, JGR and 7 others like this.
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Bumping your question for those who have tried both cabs. Haven't tried the REFs, but here's my 2¢ anyway: pretty sure the biggest difference will be that the HG is sealed while the REF is ported. IMO that would be a bigger factor than the rear speaker on the HG. Ported cabs tend to sound deeper/bigger, sealed cabs typically have "tighter" lows.

Dan Robbins likes this.
  13. David A. Davis

David A. Davis Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    Reiner?

JGR and Fuzzbass like this.
  14. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    Agreed! Same horn so highs will be close, but the ported ref 210 pair will give IMO deeper lows. But the HG310 will give IMO quicker as well as tighter response. Two different flavors of goodness, yet with commonality of highs.

Dan Robbins, kevk and Fuzzbass like this.
  15. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Was wondering if people tend to find the HD112 more aggressive/punchy because of the different tweeter compared to the REF112 or HT112ER.

Edit: Only asking because I was reading past threads on the HD112 and someone said the HD112 had "more punch" than the HT112ER, so I was wondering if that's the general consensus. Not sure if just a different tweeter could change the perception of how punchy a cab is, but it doesn't seem completely irrational. Do some prefer the HD line to the HT/REF, and why?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  16. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    what do you call a 2xCN210 + 1xCN112 rig? CN532? CN410112? Because thats what I'm cooking up over here. Just picked up a CN112 which is by far my favorite Berg 112 to put under my 210's for outdoor gigs. Cant wait to fire that rig up!

Fuzzbass, gkbass13 and tree_trunker like this.
  17. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Third gig Saturday with this dream rig, and I'm really, really loving it. So versatile.
    wellington1s.

I played with same band, same sound company/PA, and different/borrowed backline rig 3 days prior (festival). Difference was night and day.

metron, Joshua, walkbassman45 and 8 others like this.
  18. Lepparda

Lepparda

Sep 21, 2016
    HDN212 ?

19. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    yes sorry, HDN212

I used a CN212 for several years and many gigs. As great as it was, this has more authority.

PWV, rodl2005, tree_trunker and 2 others like this.
  20. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2006
    Bowen Island, CANADA
    Saturday’s gig in Snug Cove:

24977754-7DDB-494D-8C4D-04435C4F7058.

MyHG310, HandBox R-400 and Fender PJ as the back line. SO good! Had a few bands playing and everyone agreed this rig has got some serious mojo. The PJ into the front end on the R-400 is just so great for vintage tones. Never turned the amp past 11 o’clock so the Berg didn’t even break a sweat. But man... the HG310 captures everything and sounds so nice and balanced while remaining fat and authorative, articulate and detailed. Glorious!

Attached Files:

Dan Robbins, lo-freq, metron and 9 others like this.