Club Bergantino! Let's See Those Rigs!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by needmoney, May 10, 2007.

1. For me, the cabs we're so good, I was intrigued st how good the amp might be.
    The reviews here helped, as did the Aus dealers service(George at Bass Gear Direct).
    Also, I'd just bought another quality brand class D amp that didn't suit me, A Genzler Magellan 800 and, again, the above mentioned dealer helped me out.
    I wasn't enamored with the B|Amp straight away, but the future firmware versions helped it become an indispensable part of my arsenal.

I mostly use tube amps, AD200B or Super Bassman, but any gig where there's poor access OR poor acoustics, and most rehearsals, the BAmp is it.

Kevan Campbell likes this.
  2. Valveman

Valveman Gold Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2012
    St. Augustine, FL
    Is there a way to get firmware updates for my B|Amp I which purchased used here on TB?

It is amazing how the HD212 came alive when using the cabinet profile. Outstanding gear!

2021-08-14 Bamp 1 sm.jpg

R&B, Kevan Campbell, lgrankin and 3 others like this.
  3. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    The Forte HP has become my go to amp. One of my 15" cabs needs the 100Hz punch and the treble shelf at 3500 Hz matches my HF horn crossover. Another cab (410) sounds best with the 2kHz bright engaged. The VRC is very transparent but along with the drive thickens up the tone and puts a bit of hair on it. Variable HPF and LPF defines the cabs working bandwidth and there is enough headroom it never runs out of gas. I don't need any other external effects for the music I play - one and done. Great amp!

I don't know if it's technically possible but it would be nice if a cabinet profile could be loaded into the Forte HP firmware...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    Ryno1330 likes this.
  4. Kerplunk

Kerplunk

Sep 29, 2015
    Umm, be sure to register on the berg website to get the latest firmware updates. It really is that simple.

Why did I choose the Bergantino lineup? Faith. Faith and belief. I was looking to update and improve my gear and sound. I decided to start with speakers. From what I could research, and was available, in my country, I contacted George at Bass Gear Direct, initially because I was interested in DNA speakers. He, being a proactive and personable guy, asked if I had considered Bergantino speakers. So I did some research. I didn't buy from George, but I found some second hand. I bought a HD210, awesome, so I snapped up a CN212 when one popped up. Totally impressed.

Then I heard of the Bamp. Once it was available here, I didn't hesitate. I've been happy ever since. The sound, the power, the updates, the service, the reliability, the deserved reputation. There was no way to test it prior. So I had faith in their reputation and believed what I researched and was reported and George's knowledgeable advice. What I wasn't happy with, is, how it made some recently purchased pedals redundant, and the price drop, not that long after release.

So I was thinking. If Jim were to bring out some kind of pedal preamp, maybe he could sell, at a reduced price, to those who chose to drop a deposit on such a pedal, in advance, as a preorder. It might offset costings, to bring such a pedal to the fore. It would show appreciation for those that have faith and belief in his offerings. And it would make it cheaper, umm I mean a good deal, for me. How about you? lol

macribas, Kevan Campbell and Valveman like this.
  5. willsellout

willsellout I apologize in advance. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'll chime in although my only previous Berg gear was the NV610 and the NV412. I remember calling Jim one day and asking a bunch of stupid questions and he took the time to answer them; this was quite a few years ago. That meant a lot for me so when I was looking at new amps the Berg stuff was on my list automatically. I've owned most brands amps from Markbass, Mesa, Gk, Eden, SWR etc.

I was really looking for something to hit me like the old Eden amps did and I did a lot of posting on here and a lot of research and trusted that Jim wouldn't put anything out that wasn't absolutely fantastic. I purchase the Forte HP over the Bamp because I prefer the more straight forward approach to the HP and I liked the extra horsepower, even though I will likely never use it. When it arrived and I plugged it in, it was immediately apparent that this amp was something special. I really love it. Haven't really had a chance to put it through its paces live yet, but hopefully that will be remedied here this month when my job slows down and I have more time. So take my opinion for what its worth given the fact that I haven't played it in a band context.
    The build quality is stellar, the relatively simple layout is intuitive and extremely effective. The Aux in, which I use every day is clean as hell. I was afraid it would be too "audiophile" for me, but it's the exact opposite if you want it to be. This is one of the first amps I've personally owned where i can clearly hear the voice of my basses. The Ray' sounds like a Ray and my Ric sounds like a Ric. My jazz with flats sounds like a jazz with flats. I know that sounds silly, but with other amps there always seemed to be something standing in the way of the natural tone of my instruments. I guess I never really knew what i wanted out of an amp until I plugged into the Bergantino and found it. Hope this helps.

R&B, GregC, Frankie Fender and 5 others like this.
  6. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Register it on the Bergantino website- Jim even takes care of buyers of used B|amps!

Audioholic_one and Valveman like this.
  7. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    I was an Aguilar artist for a few years: they took reasonably good care of me, but I was never fully happy with their cabs.

They moved away from the GS line which was fantastic, just as I joined the roaster, and into the SL and DB lines: both of which are quite mediocre, especially for the price point.

After settling into that NOS DB750 setup for a few years I finally gave into a friends insistence to try a new amp: that was the Monique 700, which beat out the DB750 head to head, and I eventually picked up a Bergantino cab while on the road to replace my DB cabs which I’d really gotten to rather loathe.

Another year or two down the line, and another friend had another amp he was bugging me to try: that ended up being the Forté HP, and any remaining amps and cabs in my collection were sold.

I tested the HDN’s on tour initially which were really solid, but the NXT’s took the neo thing to a whole new level and the aesthetic of the NXV line was just icing on the cake for me.

No wonder I didn’t find the perfect supercab in that pretty extensive shootout I did a few years ago: it hadn’t been designed quite yet :cool:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  8. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I guess you could say I kind of lucked into it. I was leaving town with a band in less than an hour for a long run and had been wanting a really nice “backup amp” for my Ampeg Heritage SVT & 8x10 rig. On the way to call I stopped by a local boutique guitar store to talk to them about what I was wanting in an amp, and they directed me to the B Amp Mk I.

The funny thing about my experience was that I didn’t understand the concept of the firmware updates at all and chose the B Amp Mk I strictly on how much I like the super-flexible EQ, clean sound, onboard compressor and 1/8” input for quiet rehearsing, only learning six month later how cool the periodic updates from Jim really are.

Anyway, I purchased the B Amp Mk I and went on the run with the band. That weekend I ended up using the B Amp instead of the Ampeg and was floored at how much I preferred the sound of the Bergantino to the Ampeg within a band context…not surprisingly, the B Amp VERY quickly dethroned the SVT! The following next week I went back and bought an HDN212 as well (my first foray into neo cabs and 12” drivers).

Eventually I was able to sell off my Ampeg and Aguilar rigs and from there on have been completely happy and inspired with my Bergantino collection.

9. Amajew

Amajew Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2016

Wanted to give a little more feedback regarding.... TONE!! I didn't really answer that.

I use the Forte HP at rehearsals where they have an ampeg 810 on site. I'm not sure the model, but it can get loud and destroy drywall I'm sure. The difference between the 810 with even one of my HDN212's (but I highly prefer the 412 beast rig even at lower volumes) is the clarity of the bass tone. My overdrive pedals have so much more in terms of audible differences. Best way I can describe it is through the 810 there isn't a lot of variance with my pedals individually turned on but with the Berg 212's the difference is night and day.

You could say the 810 sounds like it has a blanket on it, it's just a very different animal.

I can hear myself much much better through the berg cabs than the 810. The 810 to me, in comparison is a big, heavy mud box.

EQ changes on the HP come through the speakers much more with Bergs vs the ampeg.

It's actually a little weird to get used to the Berg cabs cause they are so "transparent".

For reference I have a Darkglass X, Damnation Audio MBD-2 and a DSM Sub Atomic.

The Darkglass gives me that metal clank I love but my drive is only about 9-11 oclock, so not over saturated. The MBD-2 give me my most clean tone with some good tube feel, drive is set pretty low. The Sub Atomic has this hairy, super ballsy OD tone that cuts through like a sledgehammer.

I've been running the HP without any of the drive profiles. When I've tried the BFT, B15 or tube screamer it seemed to have changed my EQ shape way too much when I'd use any of the 3 pedals stacked.

I get great tones from each of the 3 pedals on their own and I've been experimenting with stacking the darkglass x with the MBD-2 and the Sub Atomic with the MBD-2.

msb, jthisdell, deff and 3 others like this.
  10. forrestlaw

forrestlaw Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Houston
    Done. I do have two quick questions.

1) How do I know if my B Amp has the latest firmware? I'm presuming it does since it's so new?

2) I didn't see a cab profile on the amp or website for the NXV210 I have being delivered today. What should I use?

11. Upon start up, the display should cycle through some info. As far as I remember, the firmware should come up on there

Frankie Fender likes this.
  12. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender The less notes you play, the more money you make. Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I would go with the NXT210. Same drivers and an additional tweeter.

mwbonsall likes this.
  13. Oddball question. I’m waiting on my nxt112 to ship, hopefully arrive the middle of this month. :hyper: I’ve found a GR210 cab, used, and priced very reasonably. I’m thinking it might make a nice matchup with the nxt112. Anyone here tried mixing the GR stuff with Berg? Thinking a reasonably priced 322 setup might be a perfect early birthday present for myself. I’m running a nxt212 and forte hp at the moment. Thanks for any input.

14. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    NE ND
    I like those new NXV cabs. The 112 with a BAmp would be killer. The cab reminds me of my current ******* 12T-V cab. I have a tweeter but I turn it almost all the way off.

15. Ryno1330

Ryno1330 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Hey Berg friends. Curious what the Bamp mk 2 has for drive options? Is it just the BFT in different flavors and the fuzz, or are there others like some of the Forte HP offerings?
    Also, does anyone know if the fuzz is the same as the Forte's? I love my HP to death but having saveable presets is quite tempting - just mulling things over.

16. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender The less notes you play, the more money you make. Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Massachusetts
    The MK2 has BFT in O/D (preamp tube emulated breakup), Distortion (power tube emulated breakup), and Fuzz. All customizable with amount of Drive, Gain and Blend, saveable as presets. One of the many reasons I love mine!

gscroggin and Ryno1330 like this.
  17. Well after a few days of going AWOL in the post the Forte D and Forte HP both turned up safe and sound.

I have only had about 10 minutes with each so far but as of right now I am actually feeling the Forte D is in front. It could be an issue of too many options for me but with (as far as I can tell) like for like settings between the two I am really digging the D over the HP. The D so far, without quite getting there, is able to be dialled in close to my AD200. Just missing a bit of that low end heft but I may be able to still dial that in with a bit of experimentation.

I am going to download the OD firmware for the HP. I assume it came with the BFT installed as standard..?

Bergs.jpeg

lgrankin and gscroggin like this.
  18. Does anybody else find the Forte D inherently bright (even with the bright switch off)?

In comparison to the HP it seems a lot brighter at the same settings... or maybe the HP is dark...

I turned the treble on the D to 0 and it was still putting out some highs. I did have the High Mids turned down but not off.

19. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    It is the optional firmware that puts the HP clearly ahead IME, and I too own an AD200 and like to get as close to it as possible. Good luck, I look forward to reading your conclusions. Can't go wrong either way with Bergantino.

20. I put the OD on it still isn't lighting the fires for me.

May I ask what settings you have on yours? Despite working in software development I am a bit of a luddite when it comes to amps so too many knobs confuse me. :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021