Club Bergantino! Let's See Those Rigs!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by needmoney, May 10, 2007.

1. Ryno1330

Ryno1330 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2020
    The HP is definitely not a dark amp.

mwbonsall and ExaltBass like this.
  2. OK so right up until today the Forte D was in front however I have started playing around with the VLPF and the Bright switch at 2k. Suddenly the 'too much warmth' tone I was getting from the HP is manageable and being able to dial the white noise out of my B:Assmaster is amazing. The D has a plug and play tone I could happily use all day but the HP is starting to shine with my pedalboard with the additional sculpting.

Hitting both of them with my Orange Two Stroke is also a great way to add body just where I want it.

The testing continues! :D

Amajew, Tim1, rodl2005 and 6 others like this.
  3. OK so I may be driving myself crazy here but am I right in assuming that the HP and D on the same settings should produce more or less the same tone?

There's something clear and deep about the D that I can't seem to dial in on the HP. Everything on the HP on the same settings always sounds warmer and woodier.

VLPF, VHPF, VRC and Drive are all disabled (or drive is matched with the BFT on the D). Either way the tone is always a bit warmer/woolier and woody.

@Jim Bergantino is there something about the preamps that are different? My brain is telling me to go with the HP for the control of the tone but my ears/heart really seem to dig the D more.

4. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    If your ears like the D more, that's the one you want :cool:

Even if the BFT circuits are identical on both amps, and I'm not 100% sure that's the case, the power sections are totally different and add their own tonal color as well.

I've never AB'd the two, but I have no issues getting the HP as bright as I need either.

5. The issue is that I am only able to play them solo at this time (I am in Melbourne, Australia and gigs/rehearsals aren't a thing for at least another 2 weeks due to lockdown) and fear that I like the D more only in this setting. I am aware that a slightly warmer and woodier tone probably cuts through a mix better.

Basically this is decision paralysis.

6. Jamie Hale

Jamie Hale

Jul 16, 2019
    @Plastalmonus If you like one better, why agonize? I don’t at all mean this in a condescending way, as I do the same thing sometimes, and end up with both. When my children were younger, I would take away both, and see which of the two they yelled at me for, first. I do something similar to myself, start to put them up for sale, and see which takes me longer. So you can’t have either—send them to me! Seriously, though, if either makes you happy, is there a best choice, in the end?

7. Amajew

Amajew Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Either amp I’m sure will be sweet!! What cabinet/s you using? Have you turned them up a bit to see if either amp feels different at a loud setting?
    I’ll tell you. I’m always using the lpf/HPF in a band setting. Also, having a great one knob compressor is a game changer as well! And lastly, the punch button adds a lot of depth at 100hz which may help close the gap of the difference in depth you’re feeling?

ExaltBass likes this.
  8. Yep it’s all the sculpting that keeps bringing me back to it. I am using the NXT212 and have turned it up to the point the Windows of my house are vibrating but yeah, just not a band situation with two guitarists and a drummer.

ExaltBass and Jamie Hale like this.
  9. Jim Bergantino

Jim Bergantino Commercial User

Feb 27, 2003
    Bergantino Audio Systems
    You’re not crazy. They are two different sounding amps. But two things to realize when comparing. The D has an always on compressor which is the HPs around 11:00 on the VRC. So you may want to turn the HPs VRC to that setting. Second, the two Master Volumes have different tapers and gains so you would have to use your ears to match volumes, but the HPs volume will be set higher to obtain the same relative volume of the D, up to the point where the HP will keep going due to having more power.

That all being said they are two different sounding and responding power sections. The HP is tighter and quicker and the D’s could be said to be a little warmer. Don’t try to force yourself to like one more than the other. They’re both great amps for what they do. Hope this helps!

10. That actually does help. I had thought they were the same but with the HP having more headroom and options.

I think I’ll go back to comparing the D and the HP against my AD200 instead of against each other. I definitely think I’m getting lost in what tone I am actually after which is leading to my indecisiveness.

That aside, you have made two beautiful amps, Jim. If only I could afford both :D

Joshua, Jamie Hale and Jim Bergantino like this.
  11. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender The less notes you play, the more money you make. Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Exactly! I did a comparison and opted for the built-in tone of the B Amp over the HP. To my ears at least, the B Amp sounded more warm and organic and the HP more clean and faster. How about tubeiness? <sp> The B Amp won me over.

I assuming here that the B Amp shares the same power topology as the Forte D.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021 at 9:06 AM
    MDBass likes this.
  12. Jim Bergantino

Jim Bergantino Commercial User

Feb 27, 2003
    Bergantino Audio Systems
    They do.

13. Ok after much deliberation I have settled on the Forte D. It really seemed to get me the closest to my AD200 tube head and the tone was just plug and play.

Now I just need to get out of lockdown so I can gig again.

gscroggin, MDBass, rodl2005 and 9 others like this.
  14. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Endorsing artist: Bergantino Audio Systems
    lt's great. The B Amp has made my life so much easier. I used to gig with a tube head and a pedal board. The Berg head has simplified my life greatly.

15. Lucky Chuck

Lucky Chuck Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2019
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    That's what I love about them. Thank you, thank you, thank you, J.B!

16. kevk

kevk Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Napa Valley
    HG410X…my favorite Berg cab(s)! :thumbsup:;)
    F33723F0-E359-4D54-82F2-4CE7E095A557.jpeg

17. Ryno1330

Ryno1330 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2020
    kevk likes this.
  18. AmazingMumford

AmazingMumford Supporting Member

May 8, 2011
    Massachusetts
    The colo(u)r-matched cable is a nice touch, too. All very sharp.

kevk and Fred312b like this.
  19. projectapollo

projectapollo Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Tennessee
    To the esteemed Bergaratti..... I have a lovely Reference 112 listed for sale if you wanted to get the best ceramic solution the boss ever made. I have shifted to the dark side for my cabinetry needs....Peace....

Fred312b likes this.
  20. projectapollo

projectapollo Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Tennessee
    Oh man - you just got that Sadowsky from the recent NYC batch? I almost pulled the trigger on that one. Want me some NYC single coilage in a five string formulation.....

Bergantino and Sadowsky NYC, supremely good taste there, mate.

rmayer, Heavy Dude and kevk like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021