1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Club Bordwell Part 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jan 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    I like the clean look of this one:

upload_2019-1-29_3-10-1.

scottm, bassman74, Eminor3rd and 4 others like this.

2. Think I have one of your old 6-String 32" Scale basses ...btw What kind of strings would you recommend ? Tough to find proper strings for 32" scale...looking for nickel rounds. IMG_0855.

scottm and TolerancEJ like this.
  3. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    I play 31.5" scale basses, including 6 strings and I have my strings custom wound by Newtone Strings here in the UK, they make great Nickel strings and they're very good value for money, but I appreciate getting them over to the US might be pricey.
    I've also tried La Bella RX Nickels, they do a medium scale set of their RX Nickels in 6 string flavour >> La Bella Strings
    They weren't bad at all, great tension and fitted perfectly, just not as good as my Newtones ;) Probably a lot more cost effective for you than Newtones though.
    If you go for them, just be careful that you're getting the right set, their naming convention is pretty complex...

Eude

scottm and m2k2p like this.
  4. Thanks! I will try out the La Bella and see how it goes.

5. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    No problem, keep us posted on how you get on.

6. So far I am not finding these strings in-stock anywhere in Medium scale or any other 6-string 32" Medium scale sets. La Bella for some reason doesn't sell that gauge direct. Cliff recommends Curt Managan strings, may try those. I wish Dunlop Super Brights came in medium scale 6-string, as I use them on all my other basses.

7. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    Curt Mangan makes some great strings!

8. I talked to Curt on phone himself, he was very helpful. He had me measure the distance from the nut of the ball-end of the B-string. Ordered one set, think he ended up sending me one of his medium scale 4 string sets with separate B and C strings. Look forward to trying them

eude likes this.
  9. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    Please let us know how the strings work out for you.

10. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    Got this coming!

ef85c3b8-8f29-4365-831e-01db15dfe70c-jpeg.

This bass seems to have made the rounds. I previously had a Brubaker SC5, which was just about the best playing bass I have laid hands on. But it was Too Black, and not "Metal Enough", etc... Hoping to give this a Forever Home. Other than not being a 35" scale, it's pretty much my Dream Bass. Should be here next week. I'll let Y'all know what I think...

Jason Donfris, scottm, emjazz and 2 others like this.
  11. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Hello, fans of Bordwell! I wanted to ask your help.

This bass came my way in a trade. I'm glad I had the chance to play it a while, but a bass this well-crafted shouldn't sit in my closet. (Got too much stuff...)

Could y'all help me identify the model, and any other details I should put in a TB classified? Thanks in advance.

And AFAIK it's OK for me to ask its value, so advice as to a reasonable price is also appreciated.

bordwell 01. bordwell 02.

scottm, m2k2p and TolerancEJ like this.
  12. who

who

Apr 20, 2007
    Washington DC
    Ewo likes this.
  13. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The body shape (model) is “D Bass”, but that doesn’t really tell folks much.

Bordwells are all custom built, so you order the woods, electronics, and specs that you want, and pick the shape.

If you’re advertising it, you’ll want to include the woods, pickups and electronics (looks like Nordstrand dual coils, so probably a Nordy pre as well), and things like string spacing and scale length.

scottm, Ewo and TolerancEJ like this.
  14. First the Good news ....I had my Bordwell finally professional set-up and the bass plays/sounds awesome. I didn't have it set-up well and was tempted to maybe trade it for awhile.

the not as good news.... The B-string snapped while he was installing it for some reason. He cleaned up the old B a bit and put it back on for now. I called Mangan and they are sending me a new B-string, so great customer service on their part. Overall I really like the strings so far, so I look forward to getting the new B string . The B sounds really good especially for a 32" scale

scottm likes this.
  15. scottm

scottm Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    The top wood on this bass might be one of the nicest looking ones I have ever owned. I constantly think about rebuilding this bass with the exact same specs, the pics just do not do it justice!

I love these topics about finding good strings for a short scale bass.........
    Please don't tell anyone.... but for years I have just bought all types of brands and just cut them short to length with some tools out in my shed! lol
    People play them all the time and have no clue I just whack them down to size! With that said, I always play with the lightest gauges I can find with the brand.

However I do love Le Bella, they are always amazing. I even use a lot of DR, Ernie Ball for rock stuff, and I love Fender's flats!
    When I had that bass I think I used Elixirs though with the Nano Web, they were really cool but $$$$ at the time.

Lots of great post on here lately, I got another brand bass from a builder finishing up this summer but then its back to another order with Cliff!

-Scott

16. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    WOW! never heard of this before. i've heard of "sprung" strings, but never on snapping on install. that's just weird.

17. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005

18. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    It Came, It's Awesome! I played it for 4 hours, and wanted to play it more!!

TolerancEJ, emjazz and m2k2p like this.
  19. Yeah pictures don't do the bass justice. You picked quite a wood combination and body shape. I dig the Nordstrand pickups as well (So clear!) and is so easy to play. Definitely one of the nicer basses I have played period. If I ever get get a build from Cliff I would probably get a 4-string or maybe 5 with the Nordstrand Big Blademan pickups, not sure body-type yet Maybe the "Dia".

20. scottm

scottm Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    I've tried so many different really awesome pickups over the years, but once I tried Nordstrand pickups I was hooked. I really like the preamp you have, I think that same one is in my newest bass - Nordstrand 3 band. The pickups sound so good without a preamp I thankfully have a passive switch.

-ScottM