1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Club MBasses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thehurlatron, Apr 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Just making a thread for all things Mbasses.

Disclaimer:
    I am in no way affiliated with Mbasses, other than a fan. :D

Some months ago, I stumbled onto a used Mbasses MJ-5. It had some pup mods done, but otherwise stock.
    What an AWESOME bass.

I remember the name from seeing some custom (non-traditional) basses here on TB, but obviously found out that Jon Maghini (Mbasses owner/builder) is doing Jazz 4 and 5's now.

I'm SO impressed with the build quality of these basses, and Jon is a pleasure to deal with. (not to mention great prices, IMO)

So, just a fanboy thread for people to post pics, info and such. Older custom models, and newer J and P models all welcome!

By the way, all handmade in the USA!

2. Here's a couple pics of my MJ-5.
    Ash, light flame maple board. Aguilar OBP2. Modded with Nordstrand dual coils, and coil taps.

IMG_0017.

IMG_0009.

5fingerfrenzy likes this.
  3. Jon sent me a quick pic of the FIRST MBP-4
    Check out this ASH!
    the first MBP-5 is almost complete too!

IMG_0233.

4. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Sounds like a great idea :hyper:
    There are alot of TBers who sing the praises of Jon's basses, but I know of very few guys who actually own one. It would be awesome to see some more of Jon's work in one thread.
    So do we get numbers too? ;)

Here is mine. 2006 M3 custom fretless with Buckeye burl top and Black walnut body. Absolutely love the feel and huge sound of this bass. Lately I have had serious GAS for a Sadowsky since I love Jazzes, but I just can't bear to give this baby up.
    Do we get numbers

2011-03-22_23-44-08_98-1.
    mfret3.
    mfret1.
    mfret4.

5. Nice m3! That wood combo looks great.
    If you're in the market for a new jazz, you should look into the Mbasses mj- 4 or 5. Same great handmade quality as your m3, and only the price of a metro. (if it's not tricked out with a fancy top)

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I don't have an MBass, but Jon's made me three or four ramps now, and is a very nice guy.

7. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I've always said that Jon is one of the nicest guys in the business, and his work is impeccable. That P Bass looks killer!

Spaceman Ian likes this.
  8. Hey Nicky. Let's get some pics of that new mj-4 you had built! (and specs)

9. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Before he shipped the MJ4, he had mentioned that it was a bit heavier than I was hoping. We decided that I would try it out and see how it felt. The bass was easily one of the nicest and best playing '70's Fenders' I've ever played. One reason that I wanted to go custom was to try to find a lighter alternative to the 70's basses. QC and supporting a smaller builder being two other major factors. Even though I loved the tone and feel, I talked it over wil Jon, and I sent the bass back to have a lighter body made for it. It will use the same neck and hardware, but will be a swamp ash body. I should have the new bass soon!

Here are a few pics with the old body:
    get-attachment-10aspx.

get-attachment-9aspx.

get-attachment-8aspx.

10. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
  11. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Jan 21, 2011
    YYZ
    M3 (circa '09 - IIRC - the info was in the control cavity)

pic is from the previous owner - I'll snap some of my own someday & post...

Attached Files:

12. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Man I drooled over that one....I even had a weak moment and contacted the original seller to see if he wanted a trade. That top is just sick!!!

13. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Yeah, that is a gorgeous bass.

14. Here's a couple of new basses fresh from the shop.

The NEW model MBP-5 in Burgundy Mist.

An awesome looking (and I'm sure playing) MJ-4 in Sonic Blue

15. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    Hey all... I am trying to get my hands on an M3 if anyone has one that wants to let it go or know where I can get one, it would be greatly appreciated. Please PM me with any info.

16. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Good luck with that! :( Jon didn't seem to have made many M3 basses. I know he only made about 25 of the earlier shape (like mine) before he started making the sleeker shape (like PazzoBasso)- and those only for 3 years before he stopped custom production. In the past few years I've only seen 4 M3s here on TB and maybe one MEJ. I'll let you know if I see one, though! I'm always checking online to see if an ad pops up in CL etc...

17. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    Thank you very much.. yeah.. they are rare beasts for sure. I appreciate you keeping a look out! Keeping my fingers crossed.

18. mas502arc

mas502arc

May 14, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    I've never had the pleasure of playing one, but they look like killer basses.

It's a bummer he stopped making his 'custom' basses; I was really GAS'ing and saving up for one of his Excel Singlecuts :(

19. lefty1979

lefty1979

Mar 30, 2008
    DFW, texas
    Big thanks to Brian at the Low End Bass Shop and Jon Maghini for this one. Lefty M3 5 string, made in 2008. Alder body in a super-thin Nitro cherry burst finish (you can see the wood grain telegraphing through the finish!), 3 piece rock maple neck with 24 fret Macassar ebony fingerboard and heel laminate (never seen that one before!). Ebony ramp between the Lindy Fralin singlecoils. Aguilar OBP-3 preamp, hipshot bridge and ultralite tuners. Weighs about 8 1/2 lbs. Oh yeah, and the previous owner had Jimmy Haslip autograph the back of the headstock.

I was able to talk to Jon about the bass before I bought it, which helped me decide to go for it. Jon's a really nice guy and was super helpful. He remembered the bass very well. The previous owner had an extra 9v added to run the OBP-3 at 18 volts. Jon had seen the work before and wasn't happy with it. It was also set up righty. Jon graciously offered to clean up the electronics and set it up lefty for me, as well as give the bass a once over. It came out great! This is without a doubt the nicest instrument I've ever owned. Jon's setup is great. I'm still getting comfortable with the bass, but so far I'm very happy with it. Jon makes a great instrument.
    Here's some pics:
    DSCF0005-1.
    DSCF0006.
    DSCF0007.
    DSCF0009-1.
    DSCF0015.
    DSCF0017.
    DSCF0018.
    DSCF0023.

20. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    I played this bass (or one that looks just like it) at the NE GTG today. Simply outstanding

/rick