1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Club Owners.. forgetful, negligent, etc

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Blah114, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    what is the best way to get club owners to return calls.. or club managers.. it seems they rarely return calls for bands.. and it's not just me.. the other bands I have spoken to complain of the same.. some bands bigger than us/me.

How do you all get club owners' attention? CD? Promo photos? e-mail?

I call places.. they say to e-mail.. I e-mail.. they don't respond.. it's really unbelievable.. and when I check out their websites I see they have slots opened months from now.. it seems there are some clubs that just do not want us in their rotation.. we're on the outside looking in.. I thought it was personal.. until I talked with several top bands in my area.. they have the same issues with various clubs.. and funny one club that does book us all the time.. will not return bigger bands' calls or e-mails.. why?

Struggling to understand.. we have the pictures, etc.. we have the songlists.. people like them.. what am I missing? Besides demos.. we're a new band, admittedly.. but everyone was new at first.. and after talking to established bands having the same issues.. it's amazing.. some club owners drink too much.. like anyone else.. and are just unorganized.. short of driving around.. I guess I need to walk into these places with a promo package.. vs mailing them, etc. myspace has not helped, either.

2. Having the same issues here. You just have to keep hitting these guys over the head with it until they are sick and tired from being bugged by you. You will eventually either win them over with your persistence or they will tell you to get lost! I think face to face is the best way. Stop by a bar at a non-busy time and give the owner info in person if possible. People are so busy they just don't take the time to respond to emails and phone calls the way the should.

3. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I don't know how large a regional area you're looking to solicit, but if it's primarily local (to me "local" is within 75 miles) then face-to-face works best. I can not think of a venue where we play that wasn't originally booked by a face-to-face meeting.

Once you are in the cycle of a venue, getting them to return calls is a piece of cake. Other than that you are just another one of the 100's of bands trying to get work. Of course, it's always important to have a decent press kit available along with a good demo, but talking to a booking manager or owner, live and in person, gets you pushed way up to the top of the pile. Worst case is that they don't feel you are a good fit for the joint, and then at least you know that venue is not worth pursuing .... ;)

4. Welcome to the music "business."

5. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    that one made me laugh.

This is nothing new.. but it's quite surprising other bands bigger than us, who've been around longer than us, are having the same issues..

I would think face to face would work.. but.. then you're "popping in.." I have had at least 3 club managers politely ask me to never pop in.. one of which books us a lot. the other two booked us for later this year..

Maybe there are no rules, but some of these people.. it's amazing they can run a business.. I have seen some drunk, passed out on FRI nights.. cavorting with their own employees (women).. while one guy was serving free drinks to his friends.. this was a club with house sound, ornate setup.. and about 10,000 sq feet.. huge place, established club.. owner won't return calls.. drinks all the time, and reportedly goes out with his employees.. anyway, it's just funny a guy like that (not all club owners are like this guy) can stay in business.. it just tells me it's a bad scene. I have found the hole in the wall clubs are the most honestly run.. one owner.. he tells you like it is, etc.. nothing more, nothing less. "Get people in here, don't be too loud and you'll be back..." maybe we should stick with the smaller places.. it seems the larger places are more unorganized, to me.. not all places that don't book us are "unorganized.." I have faced reality.. all I ask for is a returned call or e-mail... it seems one club out of 20 returns a call.. I am speaking of a 40-mile radius.

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Afraid this is old news. I run into this and wonder how some of these people can manage to keep the buisness open. You can keep trying and i found i always had the best luck going in and having a 1 0n 1 with the manger or who books. IMO a demo is needed not always but in better clubs a must.

7. sounds like there are alot of bands around and only a few nights to fit them in? clubs dont like booking live music, when a DJ is usually cheaper and will play longer/more likely to take requests

stick with the smaller clubs for now, get your foot in the door there, maybe those club owners will recommend you to others.

The most important thing IMO, more important to how good you guys are, is how you present yourself. Always show up 10 minutes early, always negotiate your rates ahead of time, set up quickly, practice hard, be nice to people, talk to people at the gig (not just to flirt) and eventually people will start coming out to see you, and then the clubs will call YOU!

8. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Plant your ass on one of their bar stools a few times a month and buy a few drinks. Get to know a few of the locals.

KO

9. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    The word "tenacity" hasn't been used nearly enough in this thread.

Call on a regular basis. Get to know them. Let them know that your band is available.

10. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    THIS. Also, tipping the waitresses while doing these kind of "reckon" operations is directly proportional to your chances to get in the door. This works better in smaller places where there isn't a lot of staff rotation: people will get to know you and when your face appears on a promo package, you'll get your shot.

I also don't get why managers told you never to "pop in", or whatever that means. Many bar gigs that I did, I was a regular or at least I actually went to the places I played in. Sure if you arrive there and bug the manager as if you were giving your CV, it looks bad. But after 1-2 beers, a quick talk is all you need.

On the subject of not returning phonecalls, if there is a group of people who are even more flaky than musicians, it's bar owners/managers.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Club owners that drink....kinda like drug dealers that snort their own product....unreliable, irresponsible, etc...don't take it personally....they treat all people the same.

I suggest sending a gift along with your promo kit...find out what their favorite drink is and send them a bottle.

12. jtrow

jtrow

Mar 1, 2009
    Mid America
    Just don't stop. Keep calling them, a few times a week if you have to. If the place is close to you, go there, meet the person in charge, talk to them. If you go there they will see you as someone, not just something on the other end of a phone line. Face-to-face is always your best bet.

13. YUP eyeball them. you are only looking at a 40 mile radius, so how many potential venues are we talking here? Eyeball them, they will either hire you,or tell you not to come back, either way, you either got a gig, or scratch that venue off the list and don't waste any more time with them. In the "bigger" bars/venues, is the manager doing the booking, or has he probably delegated that job to someone else?Make sure you are eyeballing the booking/decision maker.

14. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Dealing with owners/managers is the main reason why I don't run my own band.

You need them more than they need you. Once the booker knows from experience that your band will make him/her money, THEN he/she will be a lot more interested in returning your calls. But by that time you won't need to call, because you'll have a string of dates booked in advance. My main band has a year's worth booked at our best club, several months before the previous string runs out. That's the way to do it! :p