Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Club Owners- This deserves a thread of its own

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JWC, Oct 16, 2000.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    This is how to deal with those damn club owners. A dear friend told me what he did when he managed a band.

mgr.- "hello, may I speak to (insert owner's name)?

bartender- "he/she is not here right now.

mgr.- "ok, I represent (insert band name). I was told by the owner that he/she would listen to our demo and get back with us within a week. It has been 3 weeks now and we have not heard from him/her yet. I assume this is an oversight, so what we are going to do is be bringing in our equipment by about 7 p.m. for a soundcheck...."

bartender- "but...but...:

mgr.- "the band is going to go on at 10 promptly. They will play for 2 and a half hours or so...."

bartender- "but...you can't just..."

mgr.- "oh its ok...like a said its an oversight on his/her part. I know club owners better than that. They wouldn't dare not listen to a demo. We wish to paid in cash at the end of our set. Thanks, see ya Friday."

bartender- "....hello....are you still there....oh ****"

2. Oh My!!! If I had a nickel for every gig that went sour or unfavorable,I'd have back the money clubs owed my band.Check this out,I'm in a band that went on tour and had all or most of the contracts signed.You would think that our "reimbursement" was guarranteed.Nope!! Half the gigs didn't pay half of what was promised and we went into debt very quickly.It put a damper on our first tour.What a hard lesson to learn.

3. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Willie D, sad but true my friend. We know of this club out side of town we used to want to play. We sent tapes, photos, and the whole promo pack to this club owner over the course of 2 months. Since our first meeting with this person, we have been gigging all over and making a name for ourselves. So, we get back in touch with this person. Still no word back.

The irony.

I looked at the club's website not long ago. It said as such.

"where are all the music lovers in this town. it seems like no one cares about rock anymore. maybe this town is dead."

the truth

people are dead tired of seeing the same 3 bands every weekend for the past 10 years. this club had its chance to get a new, hard working band in the door. they screwed it up.

4. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Speaking from experience I can say that talking to ANY club owner is no different than talking to a cat!

Talk until you're blue in the face---none of it is going to make any sense to them! They think that just because they are a " business owner ", they automatically know more than a lowly musician ( wink-wink). And do they ever learn from their mistakes? Noooooooooooo!

Anyway, don't waste your time trying to convince them otherwise--you're just beatin' yer head against a wall! :D

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It helps to have a staff herpetologist on board to deal with the club owners.

6. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Heres two good tips,one very mature,and the other immature but effective.
    This first one was told to me by a musician friend of mine who is also an attorney.
    After you have a verbal commitment from the clubowner,mail them a confirmation letter,that spells out the paticulars.i.e.Date ,number of sets,money etc.He told me I didnt even have to get"return receipt requested",but I do.
    This makes it "official".
    I never had to take this next step, but if they short pay you,you take them to small claims court.Here in N.Y.if you name the business,not just an individual in the suit,they MUST be represented by an attorney.They will soon realize that it will cost them at least several hundred for that.(and more if you can get it adjourned and they have to show up twice!)And its probably cheaper to pay you.
    Tip number two is much more fun.
    A good friend with a Blues band that plays some seedy places does this.It works,and is hysterical.
    Go to a local "magic shop"or novelty store or practical joke catalog.And get yourself some stink bombs.These are little glass vials with somekind of ammonia and sulphur in them.The best way to do this is get someone not in the band to "do the deed".This one paticular night I went to see his band,the club owner told him not to do his last set,and shortpayed him.The band was all packed and 3/4s loaded up.My pal comes up to me gives me two of these stinkbombs and tells me to stomp on them in the bathroom,just after the band leaves.And then split quick and meet him behind the place across the street.I go to the bathroom ,step on the stinkbombs and go to the car and drive behind the store across the street.My pal and his band are there and we all peek across the street and see every single customer in the place leaving Pronto!!

[Edited by MrGump on 10-17-2000 at 09:31 PM]

7. I must admit that over the years I have been fairly treated on the whole. In some cases even been paid a little more than agreed when the venue has had a good night.
    One or two exceptions though. One in particular I remember was about 15 years ago in a club where we had a brilliant gig with 3 encores. The owner came up to us when all the gear was loaded into the van with two heavies and said “ It’s like this lads, because of the PA and Lighting hire, you’re not getting paid” There was nothing we could do. It was miles out of our area and these guys were REALLY heavy. Also there was no contract as we were trying hard to promote the band in any way we could.

The other bad one was when we were supporting Deep Purple many years ago. Our dressing room had a balcony and our drummer was on it trying to direct our roadies who were late. One of the doormen saw him and thought he was a fan trying to get in without a ticket. Two heavy bouncers burst into our room just as he was coming back from the balcony, ran over to him and kicked him to the floor before we could explain.
    Afterwards they were very apologetic and our drummer although very sore and shaken up managed to play the gig.

8. If a club is in the habit of stiffing people,GET THE WORD OUT to other bands,promoters,etc...Warn others about the dishonest club owner.I wish all states had a musician's union;at least you would be guarranteed a minimal amount.
    To Spike: Ouch!!!In all my years of gigging,I've never had that happen to a band member.
    To JWC: It's a pain to have to keep reminding someone of something as "trivial" a club date.
    To Onyx: I don't know ,I think cats are far more intelligent and I'm not a total cat lover.
    To Munjibunga and Mr. Gump:LOL!!!!!!
    To everyone else,my sympathy,being a musician isn't as glamorous as it seems.I guess "putting up" with these situations is part of paying our dues.

9. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    We played a club that suprized ur with an opening band. We were informed that we would split our playing time and cash with them. And if we had a problem with that, the door was open. Well we sucked it up, blew away the opening act and carried on like professionals. Four months later who winds up in my ER, i reminded him who i was and ordered some really not so pleasant test (they were medically justified), and sat back and enjoyed the show.

10. To mikemulcahy:LOL!!!!!! Daaaaaaannnnnnggggg!!! I hope you're not a proctologist!!! Whew, remind me to treat everyone with extra kindness.

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  12. Forgive me for being slow,What do you mean?

" Caution, slow bassist at play."