Club RickenFaker / FakenBacker - Show Your Fake Rics!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    This is what I really don't get.

I'm currently making my ultimate J bass. Every single part is easily available, in quality levels ranging from dumpster fire to Rolls Royce, and you really can "clone" a J, or for that matter a P, from any year of manufacture you choose with a very high degree of accuracy. And the thing about this is, NOBODY LIFTS A FINGER!

Even when Sadowsky or Sandberg make commercial products that are very clearly "inspired" by the work of Leo Fender, it's kind of left alone.

It's just mind boggling.

2. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    A Chinese auto manufacturer copied the BMW X5 down to the last nut and bolt. The Chinese government told BMW to "cease and desist" their lawsuit. Like the late great Steve Jobs famously said, good artists copy. Great artists steal.

Novarocker, BassikBrad and MirandM like this.
  3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Fender and Gibson didn't agressively defend their Trade Dress, copyright, etc (not sure where the distinction lies), so they lost control of the designs, Ric didnt. Thats either admirable or aggravating depending on your point of view, but in either case its purely a legal distinction, not a moral one. For me, the moral issue comes in when you claim the mantle of IP protection and slap a flag sticker on your bass, then screw a small company because it’s easy. All that aside, there is a big difference in the basic build quality between a genuine Ric and all the currently available copies. Whether or not that’s worth the huge price difference is the subject of debate. Other than the 70’s Lawsuit basses, I’ve yet to see any Chinese clone that was more than a pale shadow of the real deal. A pale shadow of a really good bass can still be a decent bass, of course.

BassikBrad and MirandM like this.
  4. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    It is not, even, worth discussing something, which will implode by itself.
    While Ric still has some fame in appearance and legacy, it will fade away with the time.
    All other companies doing all possible ways to attract a new users with design, color, marketing, etc... they are doing, pretty much - nothing, appealing mostly on our (and mine) geriatric population.
    How much younger generations care who is some old, dead grandpa Chris Squire? They don't have generation's cultural identification with the most of the users of the Ric brand.
    They refused to address the notorious design and electronic issues and whole lot of ideas people are throwing on them. All they do is to lower production, rise prices and complain if someone else dare to try to produce similar shape.
    Let them have it all. Confident businesses do not complain.

5. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Ric is what it is...what and how they do "it" is on them, you either like them or not. I'm on my 5th ric right now. The first 4 i owned, i loved the way they looked, but not the way they played. The 4003s i have now is my new #1 bass in my gigging fleet. Never enjoyed ric's in the past enough to seek out a clone or fake. I can see the fun in buying a clone and modding to personal likes.

MirandM and Gilmourisgod like this.
  6. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    Yeah, I find the company itself to be obtuse at the best of times, and downright aggravating at most others. I knew none of this prior to buying my Rick, but I guess I lucked out, since I bought a used one older than me.

Have not had to deal with the company at all, apart from once having the temerity to ask about purchasing a different coloured TRC for my bass. I may as well have asked to sleep with John Hall's daughter while he was forced to watch on, such was the venom in their response to my request

sleddogn and MirandM like this.
  7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    You can get a variety of colors and finishes of fake TRC's on Aliexpress. Putting a fake TRC on a real Ric raises zero ethical concerns for me, since they wont sell you one at any price. You could always just buy one of the raised letter fakes and repaint it to your taste. A lot of people made black background/white letter ones by simply painting it black and then sanding the letters back to white plastic.

Novarocker and BlueTalon like this.
  8. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Man, i agree on the TRC. I've spent countless hours searching for different colored TRC's for my ric's. I found a guy out of country on etsy, that makes just about any color you want, but they aren't the raised letter ones. I would think someone could make a mold and then inject what ever color you want...then just wait for Ric to shut you down....lol

9. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    Oh, yes I've seen that. Frankly, that TRC request was for a now-aborted idea about cosmetically making over my bass. I'm perfectly happy with it now, and don't see myself needing a new TRC.

Wish I had saved that email response from them!

10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    This is the kind of shenannigans that make me nervous about buying off Aliexpress. Presumably people familiar with Rics would know you cant buy a real one on Aliexpress, but it isnt unusual to see photos of real Rics used to sell fakers. There isnt anybody policing stuff here. Thats pretty clearly a CS model, which you will not be receiving for $352. In fact since the photo was "borrowed", you dont really know what you'll get. Set neck? Neck through? Cream colored?
    https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32330055969.html?spm=a2g0n.productlist.0.0.15ba4a64hb3BWQ&browser_id=a4fe2fdeb2d848459fea3a085e98b73a&aff_trace_key=fca089b9d80c41a4a0b9d1dd499d2fb5-1620562039373-03218-UneMJZVf&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=1795117e74019cafe789161d773c722b4b6680905f&gclid=&_imgsrc_=ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1c0PJIpXXXXX9XXXXq6xXFXXXi.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg_.webp
    Hmmmmm........Buyer Beware

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    BassikBrad likes this.
  11. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    I'm in for 40 of the CS models at this price, think i'll get a discount on shipping?

12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    There's a local CL ad selling a phony Ric for $50. The way it is described, it sounds like a waste of $50.

13. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The real CS are rarer than hens teeth, and some of them had the laquer turn bright orange! Cool bass, but the prices are insane. It’s just a 4001s model with a hose shoe, some people have built their own. I think the real ones had slightly thinner bodies too.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  14. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    I'd buy it for the LOLs.

sloppy_phil and StereoPlayer like this.
  15. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    If you're lucky, you'll get to be "old" someday. Then perhaps you'll understand why referring to some of us as "geriatric" and Chris Squire as an "old dead grandpa" is just plain rude and disrespectful.
    PS:RIC hasn't lowered their production at all. You just can't or won't pony up to buy one.

BassikBrad likes this.
  16. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    I have a serious issue ponying up to buy a $3000 instrument that doesn't even have properly crowned and polished frets. And yes, I do own a real one, which is precisely why I said what I just said.

17. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I turn 60 in July, so I guess I’m getting into Grandpa territory myself, and the “Dead Grandpa Squire” comment stung a little. Everybody who lives long enough gets to see their teenage icons age and pass, and Squire will always be mine. I get it, a lot of younger bass players either never heard of him, or could care less what he played. I’ll totally admit I bought my first Ric because of him (and Geddy’s to a far lesser extent) only to find, like everyone else, that simply possessing a Ric did not get me his precise tone or pick chops! You can get close with a lot of basses, definitely with some of the Lawsuit Japanese basses, or even a Chickenbacker with Ric pups and electronics, but nothing sounds quite like a real Ric. My faker clones sound exactly like my old 78’ 4001, close enough , I guess. Oh, to be 16 and listening to Roundabout on my first turntable.

18. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    My 2020 4003 came to me new and very well built with no issues, save for a strap button that started backing out. But then again, I only paid $1775, so I could have lived with that if I hadn't replaced the origial strap buttons with Schaller S-loks.

19. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I bought a new 4003 from Wildwood in 2018, on sale for around $1200. My only complaint was the baseball-batty neck.

StudioGC likes this.
  20. christpncher

christpncher

Mar 25, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    They are both neck-through. One is a Univox that actually has 2 truss rods. The other I am not sure who made it but was told Ibanez from the shop I got it from, single rod.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021