Club RickenFaker / FakenBacker - Show Your Fake Rics!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    The Ibanez would be the single rod neck thru, I think (and would happily be corrected on this point) that Hondo put their Pro II badge on that one too, very briefly, although the most common Hondo R bass is a bolt on. The Univox with dual rods would probably be an Aria going by one of several different names, and is a definite keeper if I'm right. They were excelent planks.

Bear in mind these numerous brands were all built in two or three factories, and sold to various marketeers, and there are maybe still one or two tiny ones we didn't hear of.

I don't think that any of this was a bad thing. Some major manufacturers like Tokai and Samick learned their chops by turning out copies.

One of the best P basses I ever owned was a 2003 Hard Puncher by Tokai. The next best after that was a 1982 Roadstar II from Ibanez. Musical instruments are like cookie recipes. We all have our own idea of the best one.

The world doesn't revolve around G, R, and F. Diversity, and your own idea of what works for you, is good.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    kodiakblair, BlueTalon and BassikBrad like this.
  2. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    Diversity and CREATIVITY are better.

BlueTalon likes this.
  3. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    Plus, what really works for you.

If it works for you, it's the best thing out there. Period.

BassikBrad likes this.
  4. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    My first ever bass was some second hand piece of junk which was all my mom could afford for my 12th birthday. It was a J bass, with a plywood body. It was awful. Truly awful.

But, the weird thing is, I loved it. It was MINE. It was MINE and my mom could afford it.

The point I am trying to make is, that had only expensive instruments been available, then I would not have had my first ever bass for my 12th birthday, and would not be playing now. Some people may see that as a good thing, point taken.

But, and this is relevant, copies of the thing you saw on TV are important to 12 year old musicians, they really are, and those kids are the future of this wonderful thing we all share which we call music. It's not our task to discourage them because of a body shape or some other such trivial device.

5. Man, if I were closer, I'd snatch that up. I like projects.

6. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    That’s an oddball, maybe early Chickenbacker? Looks like a Ric copied by looking at a blurry photo while drunk.

twocargar, Beej and MirandM like this.
  7. christpncher

christpncher

Mar 25, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Neither came with the original truss rod cover, I am assuming Univox because it has "Stereo-Sound" on the jack-plate.

8. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    My 4004LK project is fully at the mercy of (hopefully) post-covid supply lines as long as the proverbial piece of string. The other ongoing project, dangling on the end of the same lines of supply, is my "Ultimate J Bass". It's a race against time to see which one gets all of its parts first. The J is ahead by (literally) a neck right now.

9. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    Amusing fakenbacker related tale...

My neighbor has been learning piano, and frankly he's really not very good at it but there's a lot of Dunning - Kreuger effect going on with this guy. That's when you're so bad at something that you have literally no idea how bad you are, so you think "Oh damn I am GOOD at this", because you have no point of reference.

I've been nice to him and have complimented him (dishonestly but I am a nice person and it's not my place to be the ahole in the room) on his improving standard of playing, thinking he might take the hint to buy earphones for private practise but noooooooooooo. This is like one of those "Hey neighbor, we can hear you having sex" situations. And your neighbor has no embarrassment nerve and actually thinks you want to hear them having sex.

So, you know, it's a Sunday morning and I do like to lie in bed for a while because it's my one lazy a$$ day of the entire week, but our local pianist decides we all want to hear the world's worst ever rendition of something that was so badly played, I'm not even sure what it was. I suspect it may have been Gershwin. It was like when you see road kill, you're really not entirely sure what it started out as but its own mother wouldn't even recognize it.

Anyway, Having got dressed way too early for a Sunday morning, because my Sunday mornings are supposed to be Lionel Ritchie flavored and easy (wooooo-oooo-ooooo-oooh), I took my recycling out and there he is. The Piano Player.

Proud as a wedding night groom, and I am like oh heyyyyyyyy Jeff, did you check out headphones?

Oh no, he says, I love the way it sounds and feels.

(Ladies, I am sure we have all heard that one before. There is a reason I am a single parent.)

Well yes, Jeff, I can see that. But there's also a reason why you never hear ME practising.

He looked very puzzled and went back to his task of single handedly killing music.

For my own part, I plugged my stickerbombed faker into my Fender Rumble, dialled up my home brewed "Murder One" preset, grabbed an extra heavy Dunlop pick, and gave it 45 minutes of Lemmy's greatest hits thru the Seymour Duncan treble pickup (also known as set phasers to kill), including all 8 minutes of Orgone Accumulator.

It's all gone very quiet now. Object lessons can be valuable. I see headphones in Jeff's future.

As for me, my ears are still ringing. That thing can can make one hell of a noise.

10. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil

I simply cannot hit "like" on this enough times. I've also had to remind noisy, inconsiderate neighbours that they are unlikely to win any volume wars with me. I feel like I tend to hit the double whammy with them, as I'm likely to play some loud-ass Rush licks. Even at normal volumes, Geddy's voice alone is enough to make any and all head for the hills!

BassikBrad and ChickWithaRic like this.
  11. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    I don't like conflict and really prefer conversation but when I drop hints that are as subtle as a panzer division and they are not taken, especially when I go to great lengths to practice silently, it is time to take steps.

12. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    I aleready had one back in 1979, when you were, probably, not even born. I know exactly what I am saying. Tested, proven by others, end of story...

kodiakblair likes this.
  13. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    I was born in 1960 and bough my first 4001 in 1978. I'll be glad to wait while you extricate your foot from your mouth...:bored:

Gilmourisgod, StudioGC and BassikBrad like this.
  14. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Born 1961, bought my first bass in 1978 (does that make it a 79'?) at E.U. Wurlitzer in Boston. In those days, it wasnt unusual to find a STACK of Rics in stock, and I played 4-5 and picked the one with the skinniest neck. $450 with HSC, and after the perfunctory lecture about how rounds would void the warranty, out the door with a pack of Roto Swing 66. I tried really hard to be Squire, and like everybody else, failed, but damn he was good in his prime. Saw Yes in concert about 1 month after getting the Ric, a humbling experience. He played The Fish and crushed it. Ive come to like the shape of the newer 4003 better, but the fit and finish on that bass was far better than curent production. They were effectively hand made basses, and every one was different. If its possible to love an inanimate object, I was in love with that bass. I used to set it up on its stand so it was the first thing I saw in the morning. Sick, huh? I let some bandmates talk me into selling it, and to this day I cant reconstruct why. Too much weed, probably. :D My faker clones are IMHO better built than an off the shelf 4003, but they do it in days, not years, and I changed a few things to solve some inherent problems, and no finish issues, but if anyone has a 78' Ric signed on the back of the pickguard by Alex Higgins.....I want it bacK!

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  15. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    For $158, I'm interested...

HTB16eKVGFXXXXbhaXXXq6xXFXXX6.jpg

Novarocker, twocargar, Qlanq and 4 others like this.
  16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    Gilmourisgod and ChickWithaRic like this.
  17. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Thats worth $158, and you dont pay for the crappy electronics and hardware. Youll probably have to level and dress the frets, but you would even on a finished Chinese bass. Still a lot of work, i find finishing the hardest part. Its worth getting a case too, usually around $80. Nobody but Ric makes fitted cases for a Ric, believe me, i LOOKED!

ChickWithaRic likes this.
  18. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon

It's perfectly possible to love an inanimate object. Not just possible, but quite reasonable, given that we possess the (as far as we know amongst all other animals, unique) gift of abstract thought.

If you don't love it, you're not going to play it. My first bass was an unbranded J copy, with a plywood body and in spite of (or, quite possibly, BECAUSE of that) it still managed to sound fantastic. I modified the bejeezus out of it. I could switch the pickups to series or parallel, and could also set them out of phase if I wanted to. My dad helped me to modify it so had strings thru the body. It was cheap, it was nasty, it had no right to sound as good as it did, and I loved it. It was stolen, along with some of my other instruments and my Roland Bass Cube, during my first year at college in St Louis. It was like losing a family member. I still miss that weirdo plank.

On the other hand, I bought a Spector Euro LX in (counts on fingers) maybe 2014. It was a work of art, but I just didn't get along with it. I just found myself playing it less and less until it sat gathering dust on a stand in the corner and somebody made me an offer for it, and away it went.

Instruments have personalities. Quirks, flaws, imperfections. Just like cats. Or people.

19. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    I hate throwing away all the crappy hardware they come with. It's no use for even the Big Box Of Things, it's just a waste of money. Fretwork is not a problem, I'm fully set up for that, I even have a very nice Baroque crowning file,stainless steel fretboard protectors, and a full set of fret erasers. I'm not scared of doing frets. I see it as a basic skill for a musician.

Finish wise I favor a good quality grain filler & enhancer, then a good quality stain over the top. I found a really good range from the UK called "Village Green" and hey have some wonderful colors. I have a lovely pale rose that I'm dying to try, and a sage green I'm using now on my ultimate Jazz Bass. Then, tung oil, and refined beeswax for the finishing touch. You'd be surprised how durable that finish can be, and it's also easily repaired.

BassikBrad and Gilmourisgod like this.
  20. So this is a condition only affecting Chinese basses and covers every one of the 7 million they build every year.

Methinks you paint in far too broad strokes.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021