Club RickenFaker / FakenBacker - Show Your Fake Rics!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    I've thrown better looking people out of my bed, and I'm not even fussy.

Charlie28711 and Aceonbass like this.
  2. rickreck

rickreck

Jul 14, 2019
    Japan
    NBD!
    I've been looking for a 4001 copy in good condition for a few years now, and I finally found one and bought it: a 1978 GRECO RB700. It looks so beautiful in daylight that I can't believe it's more than 40 years old, but when I shine the light on it at night, the wonderful grain shows. The sound is a little different from the stock RIC, but not bad. Also, the strings are currently tape-wound, and I plan to replace them with round strings soon. I'm sure it will sound great. Thanks for reading!
    P.S. The tail of the bridge has a lot of lift. Hey GRECO, you don't have to copy all this lol.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
    IMG_4912.JPG
    upload_2021-7-18_13-53-44.jpeg
    upload_2021-7-18_13-55-34.jpeg IMG_4931.JPG IMG_E4959 (2).JPG IMG_4958 (2).JPG

Attached Files:

405BassGuy, Grunthor, Qlanq and 10 others like this.
  3. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    That's a beauty. Just buy a replacement bridge.

4. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Nice grain on that one! The Allparts clone bridge is a drop in replacement for around $60-80, or the Hipshot for $150. If you put Ric hi-gains in it, no reason it wouldnt sound identical to a stock 4003.

5. rickreck

rickreck

Jul 14, 2019
    Japan
    To those who have replied, thank you. I actually have a RIC bridge and a hipshot bridge. Either one is fine, but I'd like to adopt the one with perfectly matching screw holes. I don't want to drill new screw holes in this beautiful body.

StereoPlayer likes this.
  6. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    Oh my goodness, the lacing and figuring on that wood is furniture grade. I believe I'm right in saying that the Greco and Aria copies were made in the same place by the same people, and are generally regarded as the best of the clones. There is a story of an Aria being switched for a genuine Ric that had been rented from a music store, and it was quite some time before anybody realized what had happened.

rodl2005 likes this.
  7. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    If you want to use it as a "player", definitely go with the Hipshot or wait for Jeff Babicz to release his direct 1:1 replacement.

8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
  9. rickreck

rickreck

Jul 14, 2019
    Japan
    Thanks for the interesting story. But the most common theory around me is that Greco is Fujigen and Aria is Matsumoku. However, there may have been something like what you said in the long history. It's the past, and there is no way for an outsider to know. Still, the story of the instruments being switched is interesting;).

rodl2005 likes this.
  10. rickreck

rickreck

Jul 14, 2019
    Japan
    Thanks for the info, if the RIC and hipshot don't work I'll get the all parts. Babicz is a no-go because it doesn't solve my tail lift problem.

Edit:Wrong: all parts
    Correct: Allparts

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    Gilmourisgod and ctmullins like this.
  11. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    Hmmm, yeah, the Babicz is quite disappointing really. I was expecting a full replacement.

12. rickreck

rickreck

Jul 14, 2019
    Japan
    I agree with you:thumbsup:

ChickWithaRic likes this.
  13. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    NBD soon.

4004H_0761.jpg

mapleglo, Novarocker, deff and 8 others like this.
  14. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    That's not a walnut board is jt?

15. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    It’s actually walnut underneath (the part you can’t see), with zebrawood on top.

Novarocker and Gilmourisgod like this.
  16. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Walnut board too?

17. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    That was great!

18. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Speaking of Lemmy…… My Brother, who is one of those people who can pick up virtually any craft easily, has decided to start carving wood, and has agreed it would indeed be fun to carve a set of Lemmy 4004 LK body wings for me. I’m drawing them out now, and realizing every one was unique. A ways off, but I already have the CB, and the actual build will be old hat except for the carving. I’ll post it here when I start the build.

Qlanq, Novarocker, BassikBrad and 4 others like this.
  19. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Fretboard is Pau Ferro. A particularly nicely striped example. Should look cool with the stripes in the Zebrano. Neck shaft is cherry/maple/cherry, just a blank I had lying around.

Awesome!! :hyper:

Novarocker likes this.
  20. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Dang, that is similar to one I have in the works!* Zebra wood on mahogany, neck shaft is cherry/bubinga/cherry, with a bubinga fretboard.

*It has been in the works for a very long time. The guy building it is in his 70's and has health issues, so I don't push him at all. I should probably push him a little.
    Ric project 1600.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    Qlanq, Novarocker, Wannabass and 3 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021