Club RickenFaker / FakenBacker - Show Your Fake Rics!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    IIRC correctly, he “modded” that strap lock a bunch of times. I saw an article (can’t remember where) about some restoration work on one of his basses, showing several broken off screws embedded in the wood. He was not…. gentle… with his gear, and neither was his guitar tech. I bet that bass had a unique aroma as well. If anybody remembers that article, please post a link!

Edit:
    It was TC Ellis guitars, but all the links seem to be dead.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    sloppy_phil and Novarocker like this.
  2. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    I remember learning a lesson early on for gigging. If you're gonna be rough on the bass (the guy I picked it up from would spin his around him all the time) use duct tape. Tape that sucker like crazy to the body, don't depend on strap locks or screws...lol I've learned I'm not that rough, but at least I know what works through tours, style and cosmetic/paint job be damned.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I posted this on Club Rickenbacker, which always gets sort of a lukewarm response from the Ric Faithful (unsurprisingly). Looking for opinions on these options, particularly two vs. three pups. At $75+ a pop for Ric Hi-Gains, it's a decision with budget implications. I suspect Lemmy either used all three at once or left it on one pup and never changed it, though who's to say with that much dirt on it.

I'm showing full width triangle fret markers here, not sure If I want to do the stars. If I do the full-width inlays, I'll probably take another crack at "sparkle" crushed MOP. It's my build, I don't feel any obligation to a slavish reproduction, but I love the carved body wings. I drew out the oak and acorn infill for my Brother to carve the wings, but told him it's entirely up to him how he wants to carve it. All the 4004LK are unique anyway, so there is no "correct" version.

I have what is, as far as I know, the last pieces of Checker Binding available now that Winfield Vintage has stopped selling it. Ric still makes the occasional CB bass, but whoever they are using for supply isn't selling it retail, and it's sure as hell going on this bass!
    ChsNJTW.jpg
    VnN0akj.jpg
    fZ3rDtV.jpg
    4qBgce5.jpg

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  4. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    If you're going to this kind of effort to build this bass, why not improve upon it? Give it 24 frets, and change the angle of the curve that arcs from the upper to lower cutaway to accommodate access to the additional frets. Contour the upper rear top portion of the top like a 4004, but bind it like an Aerodyne Jazz bass. There are so many ways to improve the ergonomics, playability, and aesthetics of this 60+ year old design.

5. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I thought this got a pretty good response on the Ric page, actually. My vote is for drawing #3 -- just a personal preference, since I think a Hipshot Ric bridge would add to the allusion. And I'm definitely a big fan of three pickups. Just make sure that your final product allows you to use all three pickups together. I'll be looking forward to seeing it and hearing it.

One thing I want to mention specifically -- I really like the way you laid out the three pickups in your drawings. A lot of people, when they do three of the same kind of pickups, will do it with asymmetric gaps, and there really isn't an advantage to be had by doing that. The symmetric gaps give you the same tonal variety, and it looks cooler.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  6. If you check out Mapleglows build thread…and I’m sure you have, she may have taken a shortcut with the carving by using applied oak leaves and acorns. IIRC.

mapleglo likes this.
  7. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    I spaced my three HB1s in the normal 4004 positions combined with the 4005 positions. The HB1s are great pickups, and they’re “only” $100 apiece.

Novarocker likes this.
  8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    yeah.....$300 on pups a little rich for my thin blood!

I saw that, but since my Brother has offered to carve them (he's learning to carve, but picks up any craft like rolling off a log), I might as well go whole hog. The oak leaf applique available are all relatively small, and more or less the same size. My Mother In Law is a superb carver, I'd originally hoped she'd do it for me, but the arthritis in her hands makes it too painful now. The downside is... it may take a while. In the meantime I can start gradually acquiring the parts to spread cost over time. I have two sons in college, so funds or my expensive hobby are limited...

That's pretty much the plan, the heel shown is just a leftover from the previous Hossenfeffer builds, I probably will cut that back. I assume they did that originally because the 1/2" pup spacing hogged out so much wood at the neck/body joint they needed to beef it up. I love the Aerodyne bound elbow contour, but that requires either a very expensive purpose built jig available through LMI and others, or a fairly complicated home-built version, since the router has to ride on a vertically traveling support as it follows the body contour. The actual amount of elbow relief is limited by the geometry of the jig. Fender uses a CNC of course, it might be possible to access one at a local Maker space. I'm building a 24 fret bass right now, and own another, but don't spend a ton of time in the "Dusty End". I'll try that on the drawing to see how it looks. if I go with a standard 34" scale, I could keep the neck end more or less where it is and just push the headstock out further. One big change over stock already is that I'm using a 1-1/2" Jazz bass nut width, which is kinder to my increasingly arthritic hands. If you look at the neck in all 4 versions, you might notice it's thinner than normal.

I have long coveted one of these gadgets....

This one shows the process really well, you can see the amount of elbow relief is somewhat limited, but a big improvement over a 90 degree edge.

BassikBrad and StereoPlayer like this.
  9. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    That's exactly what I did.

leaf copy 2.jpg

Yes, they are a little bit smaller then the factory version, but they were much easier to carve, or really, glue into place. I have no idea how the original carver got the bottoms of the wings so flat. That's some top notch carvings, if you ask me.

And I'm sticking with option 4.

Rezdog, Qlanq, twocargar and 8 others like this.
  10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Id forgotten you did 24 frets, that actually looks pretty good. 34" scale?

11. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Yes, 34" scale.

twocargar and Gilmourisgod like this.
  12. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Me and the 4004CTM in action last week. Civic function, hence the conservative dress. I should have removed my coat before we got cranking! :D

D7308967-2DCB-436C-9FC8-60A625635EA5.jpeg

Engle, deff, tubedude and 7 others like this.
  13. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    CT! At last we meet! (virtually) All That Bass, and good looking too? Just pinch yourself for me. Really hard. Damn, I love that bass, that was the inspiration for my Hossenfeffer II build, you went light wood, so I had to go dark! I need big, gaudy position markers or I get lost, particularly up in the dusty end myself. Hey what brand is that bridge? I gotta find something for my Impending Lemmy Build, looking at ABM, Hipshot Kickass, and Hipshot A style. I'm kind of thrashing around ineffectually, and getting sticker shock. Everything in that style seems to be around $100+, and I am a cheap b*stard. I might have to go used to keep it in budget.

Engle likes this.
  14. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Ha! Yep, I have avoided plastering my mug all over the Interwebz for years and years, but I thought that was actually a pretty good pic. :cool:

I have built others after that one, and continue to build new ones every year, but that one just has that magic, ya know? :bassist: By the way, I did eventually add a truss rod cover, you may have noticed! :roflmao:

That's a Hipshot KickAss bridge - they're quite nice, and available pretty cheap too. Some people don't like the fact that they're cast out of a zinc alloy (as are/were the Omega, original BadAss, and similar), but I trust the folks at Hipshot implicitly. The KickAss is actually the most versatile of this style of bridge, with adjustable string spacing, and they actually ship with three different heights of saddle inserts. I have a couple more of them in my parts stash, I could make you a deal... :cool:

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  15. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    If what comes got for ya doesn't tickle your fancy, check out the bridges that Reverend uses. If the spacing fits your needs, they're great bridges. Sometimes a set screw or two may need a replacement, but those bridges can be found for like $20! Or at least that's what I paid a few years back for a handful. Lock down saddles, option to string through or top load and they're smooth. Sung-Il made IIRC.

16. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    This one?

4str17.jpg

Yep. They're good. I installed the one in the picture to "make do" until I could afford something better. It's still installed. It certainly wouldn't look out of place on a 4004. It is made by Sung-Il, I think the model number is BB-04.

Novarocker likes this.
  17. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    Yep that's the one. Honestly, by far and away my favorite bridge I've ever used. I like the mustang and stingray bridges that had mutes, but for standard bridges, those Sung-Il are top notch in every category for me. Model number sounds right too.

18. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    They are good and solid. It's uncannily similar in design to the British Grainger Lock & Rock. It's worth noting that the gold plating on mine is still pristine after ten year's use. I think I paid $30. It's also not the only Sung-Il I have ever installed on a home build...

fless4_01.jpg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    My Dog Sam Eats Purple Flowers
    man o man

I just gotta build one of these for myself

8455_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=AEfyzI6gM9gAX8KWfLO&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.jpg

20. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I like the one in your avatar!

Engle likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021