1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Club RickenFaker / FakenBacker - Show Your Fake Rics!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. The “zero-mod” on the thumbrest really kills the aesthetic and detracts from the bass IMO. From a brand stand point I get it, but visually, it sticks out like a sore thumb (rest!).

mr zee and Axstar like this.
  2. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    But given that they've just copied the design and name for the Tubeampology product for their own version, it wouldn't surprise me if they did the same with the "No Modification for a Ric bass Thumb Rest".

Oh the irony... :D

kodiakblair and ICM like this.
  3. I'm thinking of upgrading the pickups on my Chinafaker. Since I have a few Jazz pickups laying around, I might see how the pole pieces line up for the bridge position--I've got a Gotoh high mass bridge on the bass now. I also was thinking a push/pull pot for series/parallel might be cool. I use it for our 1/2 step down set at gigs and it's been good for the 6 or so months I've been playing it, just time for an upgrade.

The way it's wired now, I have to turn down the bridge pickup a bit to get a decent tone out of it. If both pickups are at max volume, it sounds really thin. Any suggestions on pickups that won't break the bank (sub $100)?

4. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
  5. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017

I think the distinction is that these are copies (like many high-end boutique basses are copies of Fender's designs), but are not counterfeits (trying to pass themselves off as originals).

twocargar likes this.
  6. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    This is normal for two pickup instrument to experience a volume drop when both pickups are on full. This is caused by a phase cancellation in the mids that goes away when you turn one pickup or the other down a bit. This is why I don't like master volume controls. Wiring a .01uF tone cap in series with either pickup hot lead will eliminate this effect. Most ChinaBackers are wired like Gibson's, which has other drawbacks in the form of interaction between pickup controls. This is why I prefer the way Rickenbackers are wired.

twocargar likes this.
  7. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    That might be true for some, but I know I've seen them with Rickenbacker badges.

8. twocargar likes this.
  9. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    I'm not singling anyone out personally - I was simply addressing the relatively recent (implemented after this thread was well under way) tb rule concerning this topic. I'm sure I could find a few praises if I scanned 64 pages...

10. Ugh, really?

Edit: This has been discussed already in post 1263.

smperry likes this.
  11. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Yes, exactly. It’s just one page back. Repeating myself, I’m not going to wade through all of the old posts in this thread. Also repeating myself: the rule is not specifically about Rics.

Axstar and twocargar like this.
  12. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017

There's a big difference between someone buying one of these Chinese copies (and subsequently adding a Rickenbacker name plate), and a manufacturer selling copies with a Rickenbacker name plate on the headstock straight out of the factory.

The latter is counterfeit.

If however, the individual who puts a Rickenbacker name plate on their copy bass, subsequently decides to sell the instrument without fully disclosing the cosmetic disguise, origins, and value of they instrument, they would be selling counterfeit goods.

I don't think there would be a problem if someone started a thread asking for advice, having seen an Rickenbacker for sale at a slightly below market price - they would quickly be advised to avoid the instrument as a counterfeit.

If someone tried to sell such an instrument in the classifieds here, it would be shut down, and removed (probably regardless of whether they were trying to pass it off as original, or were being open and honest - so long as it wore a Rickenbacker badge).

There are a lot of really convincing fakes out there - and plenty that would only fool the really inexperienced. The important difference is that they are specifically intended to hoodwink someone into paying a premium price for a cheap instrument.

Any posts / threads in praise of such instruments, bearing counterfeit branding, are against the rules.

These mass produced copies are cheap, and aren't attempting to masquerade as a well known brand (which is a separate issue from ripping off the overall design of the product).

13. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Other than the 70's Japanese "lawsuit" basses, I' haven't seen any convincing Chinese fakes. They all have giant "tells" you could drive a truck through, beveled body faces, wrong bridge, wrong hardware, wrong scale, wrong fingerboard wood, wrong inlays, wrong binding, wrong tuners, etc. etc. I have played one at a Pawnshop, and they only look real from a distance, and the shoddiness becomes blatant at about 2 feet distance. They had to have known it was fake, if nothing else, by the $400 asking price. I pointed this out to the counter flunky and got an indifferent shrug for my trouble. Buyer beware, indeed. The differences are hugely more noticeable than the average Fender clone, for instance, I'd be a lot more nervous buying any high-dollar Fender with the almost unlimited number of unlicensed parts, fake decals, etc., available all over the internet. Some of the Chinese Gibson copies are extremely convincing, even at close range. Since they are fully capable of producing a very accurate copy, I have to think there is something intentional about the seemingly random changes in form and detailing they introduced on Chinabackers, like a wink and a nudge to the potential buyer. I think the vast majority of people who buy a Chinabacker know exactly what they are getting, plenty of Youtube videos demonstrating them. While we are talking about companies ripping off IP, let's not forget Rickenbacker Inc's. latest outrageous hypocrisy, just straight up ripping off Tubeampology's Treble Bezel, right down to the name. Apparently all the years high horse talk from John Hall about protecting his IP only applies to others, not to him. What a load of horse****!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2019
  14. Axstar

Axstar SUSPENDED

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Most Rickenbacker copies I've ever seen has had something or other that gives away its status as a copy. The closest I think are those Fernandes copies floating around from the '80s.

[​IMG]

Beyond single-digit production from small luthiers I don't think anything has been made in the last twenty years that can pass as the real thing. For one thing, nobody is lacquering fretboards or copying the bridge correctly.

15. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Getting to be an old video, but since the latest Chinabackers look identical, seems like it still applies. A good comparison of a real Ric vs. Chinabacker. The build quality on these is all over the map, some reasonably playable, or, like the one I played, in need of at least a full fret level and polish just to make it playable. A lot of Chinese factories have the same CNC files, but what you get depends on what level of shoddy the manufacturer is willing to peddle. Some people have gotten lucky with playable instruments right out of the styrofoam box, some... not so much.

twocargar likes this.
  16. Axstar

Axstar SUSPENDED

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    I'm in the not-so-much category...

NBD - Chinese "Dan Armstrong Ampeg" counterfeit.

I simply don't trust the opinion of people who claim these Chinese counterfeit instruments are any good.

17. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I’ve looked at a lot of Clone review videos, and played a few, a theme develops:
    1. Decent basic woodworking. Not too hard with modern CNC Machinery.
    2. Finish looks good up to about 2 feet away, then you start seeing minor blems, areas that didn’t get buffed out, etc. Again, well within the skill sets of any country that builds cars or other painted products.
    3. Crappy frets and fretwork. Cheap alloy that tarnishes easily, minimal or no leveling, fret sprout, loose frets that buzz, etc. Nut cut badly or not at all.
    4. Crap electronics. Mini-pots, thin gauge wire, microphonic pups, cheap jack, no shielding.
    5. Cheap tuners, serviceable, good enough if you aren’t too picky.
    6. Strange hardware. The Chickenbackers a case in point, like somebody built a Ric bridge and pup cover using a blurry photo for reference.

Think of them as 90% complete kit basses, scrap the electronics, do a fret job, and you’ve got a mediocre bass.

twocargar likes this.
  18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    here's my rickenfaker parts bass 5 string

rickfaker.

DSCF0979.JPG

DSCF0988.JPG
    DSCF0904.JPG

19. Axstar

Axstar SUSPENDED

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.

Those frets are likely very soft. My Chinese Dan Armstrong has frets so soft that they deformed when I tried pulling them. They picked up playing wear as you played on them, with roundwound chew setting in very quickly.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  20. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I don't know what crap they are using, high brass content maybe? They always seem to have a yellowish caste of tarnish, like EVO gold, but.... cheesier. Something has to give to hold those bottom barrel price points. As long as people have their eyes open going into it, and realize some time and investment will be required to get to a decent playing instrument. If I could find a decently built Lemmy Faker "husk", no finish, hardware, or electronics, I'd probably buy it just to get the oak-leaf carving.

Axstar likes this.