1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Club RickenFaker / FakenBacker - Show Your Fake Rics!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. GCPENG

GCPENG

Mar 7, 2017
    Ontario, Canada
    I suspect that you could easily get one of the sellers of a fake 4004LK to sell you an unloaded bass. I bought a loaded one as a novelty and have been quite happy with it as such.

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    There are probably 100 fake Lemmy basses for every real one

Axstar likes this.
  3. GCPENG

GCPENG

Mar 7, 2017
    Ontario, Canada
    Sounds about right to me.

Axstar likes this.
  4. Cran

Cran

Oct 24, 2018
    Hey guys, I'm considering getting a lawsuit rick copy as my next bass (in a while), but I don't know where and how to look for them. I've seen some come up in local (NZ) classifieds, but none have come up since and I've not seen anyone in any international platforms (for anyone interested, they were a fireglo Aria and a reverse tuxedo Greco. I'm miffed I couldn't get at least the Aria because I didn't have a job at the time). I don't know what to do to get my hands on one. Any tips?

5. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Ric zealously hunts them down and has them pulled on major sites like Ebay, but doesnt seem to police Reverb or CL. Try putting a wanted ad on TB, maybe somebody has one. Getting hard to find, and pricey too.

6. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Checked Reverb, nothing for sale today, but they have sold Ibanez fakers recently, keep haunting it.

7. Cran

Cran

Oct 24, 2018
    Alright, I'll keep an eye out, thanks for the advice though! Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on one. Are there any specific search terms that you use? I know that most posts saying "Rick clone", "4001/3 clone", etc would be easier to get deleted by the Ric overlords.

8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Nah, just search "lawsuit rickenbacker bass", or By brand, Ibanez, Greco, Fernandes, etc. followed by Rickenbacker. Try a few different search combinations, you'll find one eventually, but be ready to shell out $6-800, they go quick when they pop up.

9. Cran

Cran

Oct 24, 2018
    So this one is around on Ebay. The spirit of the Greco that was on local classifieds this year (that I didn't pick up) is haunting me. If only I hadn't bought my latest bass...
    It looks good, though. I just hoped that it would have better pictures.

10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I love the description, "deformed body". The Ric Police must be slacking, these usually get pulled down off EBay within 24 hours or so. Looks pretty good in the photos.

11. Cran

Cran

Oct 24, 2018
    Yeah, I just wish I had the money to afford it. Despite it being several orders of magnitude cheaper than a real rick (at least here in NZ), it's still a big amount, hahah.

12. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Your best bet might be having a faker customized through something like The Top Guitars, neck through, nicer gingerbread etc, and then gradually upgrade to spread the cost. What's a used Ric go for in NZ? I know they are ridiculous in AU.

13. Cran

Cran

Oct 24, 2018
    I’m not too sure. The newer models (2010+) would be understandable to see going for $2.5-3k NZD, but I’ve not seen one from the ‘90s and before, so I wouldn’t know how much they would rake up. Certainly more than an Ibanez or a Greco from that era, haha.

14. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

A few years ago I had a Ric 325 size bass made to my specs from AliExpress for about $300, what a mistake that was. The dealer took a 360, which is about 40" long, cut down the neck from 25" to 22" scale, making it 34" long, added another pickup crowding the 2 originals, a Ric bass bridge/tailpiece, covered over the side markers, added new ones and didn't mark fret 12, I had to. The base of the neck is much too wide and it's heavy as can be, plus the fret board is dark rosewood, not the lighter color I see on FireGlo 325s.

I don't play it often because of the problems, but today when I picked it up to do some practicing, one of the pots broke and just winds around, then about half way through, it completely crapped out. So what did I do? I ordered a Ric 325 guitar kockoff from AliExpress for $275 that I made sure was the right 34" size, plus semi hollow and made of basswood, so I know it will be lighter.

I'm going to make it a bass myself as I've done with other short scale guitars. Will scavenge from the bad one the Ric bass bridge, the tuners, strings, nut and Bassenfaker headstock piece with decal I made. Then I'll have Eric's Guitar wire all three pickups direct to one volume and one tone control.

It's going to be about 23 days for arrival, just before Chinese New Year. You don't want to order anything from China during the month long celebrations where no one does any work, including the shipping companies and post office.

The crappy one
    Ric 325 bad.jpg

The new one
    Ric 325 front.jpg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    kodiakblair likes this.
  15. MirandM

MirandM Married to my bass. Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    Hello all you fakenbakers,

I recently bought a fakenbridge on Aliexpress. This is the famous bridge that comes with many Chinese copy ricks, and since there's not much info on it I thought it would be a good idea to show it to all interested before mounting it on my Rocktile bass.

Here's how it arrived:

2020-02-25 12.30.03_s.jpg

For only $30 quite a bridge. Very well packaged, comes with the two necessary Allen keys and two mounting screws that seem a little useless to me. Chrome work is very nicely made, no apparent flaws and lovely shine.

First of all I will do a comparison with the original bridge of my real Rickenbacker 4003FG (2019 model).

Here's the copy on top of it.

2020-02-25 13.17.18_s.jpg

The difference, string spacing; the rick has a spacing of 18 mm while the copy has 19 mm, which is logical as most copybackers are 34" with standard measurements.

Side and back view:

2020-02-25 13.17.33_s.jpg

The copy is a little narrower, not much but just a little. The back of the rick bridge is rounded while the copy is straight. Length is about the same.

Side by side view:

2020-02-25 13.17.55_s.jpg

Clearly visible is the more square aspect of the copy and the saddles are at the position of the mute bar of the rick bridge. Note also that the mounting holes are in different positions, no drop-in possible (width between the screws is also different).

Now we'll focus on the copy bridge.

Here's the back of it:

2020-02-25 12.30.31_s.jpg

Note there are four mounting holes, and the back is totally flat, no routing in the body needed. This bridge is more ridged as the original rick and it would surprise me if it ever showed any tail lift (the well known rick bridge problem) at all.

2020-02-25 12.31.13_s.jpg

The string holes are round, not elliptical.

2020-02-25 12.31.36_s.jpg

The saddle bar can be dismounted totally. Underneath are the other two mounting holes visible.
    The knurled knobs have no height adjustment function. Their function is to fix the saddle bar to the base.

2020-02-25 12.32.19_s.jpg

Height adjustment of this bar is provided by five Allen screws, two on each side and on in the middle. This make it even possible to incline the saddle bar a little, according to one's wishes.

2020-02-25 12.30.57_s.jpg

The saddles consist of two pieces, the saddle block and the roll, over which the string goes.
    The rolls are not fixed since they are snug fit into the block and they're held down by the string tension. You can interchange them as they have different V cuts for the strings, so you can reverse string without any problem.

2020-02-25 12.34.29_s.jpg

2020-02-25 12.35.32_s.jpg

The saddle block can be moved within its space on the saddle bar. Each saddle has an inclined Allen screw that fixes the saddle block in its position. This works very well and permits moving the saddle block without removing the strings. Fixing it avoids any movement while playing, something the original rick saddles don't have. Most people think these are individual height adjustment screws but they're not.

2020-02-25 12.38.36_s.jpg

Checking with a ruler revealed that the saddle bar is indeed curved slightly, as it should. This is something that many fakenbacker are missing thus needing to put small shims beneath the middle saddles to get the right curve. This bridge is clearly a better version.

Conclusion:
    Even though I've not been able to play with it as for the moment it's not mounted yet, I think this bridge is a well designed copy, although it's not a copy as it misses the mute bar and as such isn't a counterfeit either.
    The looks are very alike and the overall construction is solid and seems reliable. For this price it's actually unbeatable as a look-a-like.

16. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    Since the saddles are where the mute is on a RIC part, your intonation will be off by about 1/2". This part is a big fail on an actual Rick or any of the more accurate copies.

DavesnothereCA and StereoPlayer like this.
  17. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    That depends on the actual scale, body length and neck length (20, 21, 22 or 24 frets). Anybody that messes around with bridges should at least have a decent knowledge about that. And as I stated, this bridge is not a drop-in replacement for a real rick if only for the clearly mentioned difference in string spacing.
    The only real replacements (that do not require more body work) for original rick's are hipshot and rick 2020 new generation bridge. And my personal opinion on this is that at would be rather weird mounting a $30 bridge on a real rick which has cost $1600+, I wouldn't dream of doing that and that's why I've got a hipshot bridge which is way better in every single aspect. But that's something for the Rickbacker Club.

On a side note; it is possible to mount the saddles the other way around on the saddle bar (as on the original rick) which brings the saddles about 0.7" closer to the bridge. The total distance available for moving the saddles is about 0.4", so mounting them the other way around would lead from to 0.3 to 0.7" closer to the bridge.

18. I think this is the bridge I have on a 24 fret ric lookalike, 34" scale. As you can see from the crappy picture its a couple of inch from the base of the body.
    It intonates just fine. IMG_20191024_125346838.jpg

19. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    You see, that is right. Your neck is 4 frets longer thus to get the 34" the bridge has to be moved the same amount further from the edge (more or less, it depends on the body length which isn't always equal to an original rick).

20. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    @MirandM that is great hands-on info and data. Thank you for purchasing this bridge and freely sharing your findings in such a clear, well-written manner!

MirandM likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021