1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Club RickenFaker / FakenBacker - Show Your Fake Rics!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. MirandM

MirandM Married to my bass. Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    Which is why I suggested to contact the seller to see if he's able to sell you the kit through their Aliexpress store. Much safer and easier. Prices on Alibaba do NOT include any S&H.

BassikBrad and bon viesta like this.
  2. Cran

Cran

Oct 24, 2018
    Alright guys, I'm gonna pitch a plan for a possible future rickenfaker project i'm cooking up (the Rickenbackn't, I'm thinking of calling it).

My uncle has had a body-sized chunk of wood that belongs to me for a couple of years now. I think it's Lenga Beech, and I asked him to get it for me when I was a bit younger so I could build myself a second jazz bass (My tastes have now broadened and I'm perfectly happy with just the one). Lo and behold, after years of that project being on hiatus he calls me and lets me know that not only is the wood really nice and dry now, but that he has an industrial CNC machine.

Here's where a plan began to hatch in my head.

I'm thinking about getting my grubby little mitts on a 4001s body shape autocad file and adapting it to fit a bolt on neck (*how*, i'm still gonna have to figure out considering i don't know how autocad works). Originally I wanted to fit a fender neck on it, but considering shipping I figure it may cost the same to get a local luthier to make me a nicer neck built to my specifications. Mainly so I avoid the aesthetic grossness of a fender neck on a ric body, but also so that I can ask for some weird things that I can't otherwise. As of today I've had the idea of blending the rick headstock shape with the ampeg scroll tuner positioning (with the holes in the middle, you know?). The exact shape/method is still being figured out.

Once I have the body/neck, i'll probably have it routed for either a set of retrovibe 4001 pickups or two multicoil humbuckers if I'm feeling spicy. Still unsure. And then have it finished in black nitro. And then play it to hell and back.

Some details elude me, such as where I can get the autocad file from, wether I should route the pickup cavities using the CNC or having the luthier do it for me, and the same for the neck pocket (so that they build a neck that fits perfectly to the pocket they cut, you know?).

A sketch will probably come soon if I can sit down and do it. What do you guys think? It will be a while before I begin working on it, and even longer before it's complete, but I find this prospective project very exciting.

3. MirandM

MirandM Married to my bass. Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    You should ask in the luthier's section of TB for this, I'm sure someone has them, maybe @Gilmourisgod who built some of his own variations.

BassikBrad likes this.
  4. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    BassikBrad, Qlanq and MirandM like this.
  5. Wannabass

Wannabass Supporting Member

RB924 looks like some Ric influence happening in 1983. IMG_20210116_133403899.jpg

mikewalker, shojii, Qlanq and 6 others like this.
  6. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I see that!

Wannabass likes this.
  7. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    Woah dig that neck pickup too.

Wannabass likes this.
  8. Charlie28711

Charlie28711

Jan 17, 2017
    I hope it plays as nice as it looks.!

Wannabass likes this.
  9. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    some say this looks rickenbackerish, and sounds nothing like a rickenbacker.
    all i know is it’s called a schecter 004.
    upload_2021-1-29_4-26-9.jpeg

blacktocomm, Novarocker and Qlanq like this.
  10. Wannabass

Wannabass Supporting Member

It is a sweet player. I have been using my short scale JS mostly as my old welder hands were giving me trouble but with more time to play feeling better. Realized this is the only bass I own with 24 frets! Not that I go there much but with more time and 0 degrees outside this weekend..

11. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Nice looking bass! Is it an Ibanez?

12. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    yes
    upload_2021-1-29_11-40-50.jpeg

Wannabass, steveinohio and woodyng2 like this.
  13. StudioGC

StudioGC Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    Have I posted this before? Anyhoo....Chickenbacker (DHgate) "walnut" with real Ric neck pup and upgraded harness:
    Edit: Everything else original

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  14. I don't see any Ric influence there. Bound slab bodies were all the rage in early 80's Japan. Along with Ibanez , ESP had the Horizon.
    ESP Horizon.jpg

Washburn the BBR and Stage Series.

Washburn-Force-8-ChicagoBBR-Bass-Guitar-Made-In.jpg Washburn-B20-bass-guitar-made-in.jpg

blacktocomm, Novarocker and Qlanq like this.
  15. Charlie28711

Charlie28711

Jan 17, 2017
    It also went by the name Stargazer. I had one in Crimson Ghost with a rosewood board. I do regret selling it but at the time I really didn't dig the sound of it. If I knew then what I know now I'd have changed out the EMG Soap bars for something else

16. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    i consider stargazer a different model. it had different pickups and a pickguard among other differences...

17. 405BassGuy

405BassGuy

Jul 15, 2019
    U.S.A.
    Hey All,

Several years ago I purchased a Ric 4001. Unfortunately, I didn’t bond with it and eventually sold it. Fast forward several years and I started thinking that I’d like to give it another try. However, because my first experience with the bass didn’t go so well, I didn’t want to drop a lot of $ just in case it didn’t work out again. So, I had a Ric copy built. Sadly, it was a repeat of my previous experience and I finally accepted the fact that I’m just not a Ric guy. Feeling defeated, I placed the bass on a wall-hanger in my music room and used it as wall-art for the past few years. Now, I’m downsizing to two groups; basses I play and basses I just want to own/collect. Because this bass doesn’t meet either criterion, I’ve decided to sell it. However, I’m not sure how to go about selling a bass that I can’t advertise on Reverb, or most other sites, and I will not use CL. Do any of you have any ideas where I can advertise the bass without getting into legal trouble? Any suggestions regarding this issue will be greatly appreciated. TIA for your help.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2021
  18. You go on Facebook and join the Rickenfaker group.

BTW. Should be no legal trouble should you list it as "fully functioning bass guitar wall art" :)

TBH seems like the days of ad take downs is passed. JH has retired and with no Godhead to appease the cultists have found other things to do.

405BassGuy likes this.
  19. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I suppose you could sell it on TB classifieds, as long as you dont "praise" it, which violates TB policy. Does the act Of selling a counterfeit constitute "praise"? Ask the Moderators. CL may be your only recourse, Ric is very vigilant about having fakers removed off Ebay and Reverb, or at least they used to be.

405BassGuy likes this.
  20. blacktocomm

blacktocomm Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    The mountains
    My ‘77 Ibanez at the top.
    C752C731-EEE9-4737-BB4A-0AF081D5C982.jpeg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021