1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Club RickenFaker / FakenBacker - Show Your Fake Rics!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. 69'Vette

69'Vette

Jan 28, 2003
    Provo, UT
    I'm not sure about Reverb, and eBay (in the U.S.) will likely kill it the moment any Ric employee sees it no matter how you list it, but if you sold it here or elsewhere, I'd think the main thing should be being very up front about what it is and what it's not, (a product of the R company). There are plenty of people who like the idea of messing around with a faker that they didn't drop a lot of money to get. Not sure what you paid, but you might get a good deal of that back out of it when it sells.

405BassGuy and BassikBrad like this.
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Counterfeit items are not permitted to be sold in our classifieds.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Thanks for the clarification, that settles it then.

405BassGuy and 69'Vette like this.
  4. 69'Vette

69'Vette

Jan 28, 2003
    Provo, UT
    Please forgive my ignorance in asking for clarification, because I read the pinned post and I think one or two more that differentiated between "lawsuit" copies and counterfeits (of course most of those guitars and basses labeled as "lawsuit" were never subject to court action) and am a little confused.

For example, years ago I sold a Greco 4001S copy in the classifieds here, and I own Ibanez and Greco Thunderbird copies. Would those not be allowed now? Is it the shape and cosmetic likeness that's a no-go, or is it that combined with truss rod covers (or headstock decals) that run afoul of the current rules? Or is it when such copies were made? Again, I just want to know so I don't end up breaking the rules out of ignorance. Thank you.

Wannabass likes this.
  5. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    If you had a bass custom built to look like a Rickenbacker, but didn't label it as a Rickenbacker and never intended to pass it off as one, I think it's a copy, not a counterfeit.

I'm having a Rickenbacker copy custom made, also. But nobody is ever going to confuse my bass with an actual Rickenbacker.

(A work in progress...)
    Ric project 1600.jpg

Qlanq, twocargar, Novarocker and 5 others like this.
  6. MirandM

MirandM Married to my bass. Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    What does the term counterfeit mean?
    To counterfeit means to imitate something authentic, with the intent to steal, destroy, or replace the original, for use in illegal transactions, or otherwise to deceive individuals into believing that the fake is of equal or greater value than the real thing.

Counterfeit - Wikipedia

A bass made to look like a Ric but clearly stated as a copy, not bearing the name and not to be confused with the real one is NOT a counterfeit. Just as play money bears a clear notification of not being real and can be sold as not being counterfeit. To be clear about this: this is not my opinion, it is a fact. I do not post my personal opinion on this matter.

69'Vette, BassikBrad and kodiakblair like this.
  7. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    anyone have any experience with fakenbacker 4005 basses? just wondering since most of the talk about those models are from a few years ago, and we all know the pace these guys “improve” their products

StereoPlayer likes this.
  8. 405BassGuy

405BassGuy

Jul 15, 2019
    U.S.A.
    Thank you to everyone that offered suggestions regarding my question about the bass. Also, I want to apologize for breaking TB rules by posting a photo of the bass. The thread name led me to believe that it was okay to display photos of Ric copies. Regardless, I do apologize to anyone that may have been offended by my post.

StereoPlayer likes this.
  9. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    As I understand it, the current policy is that it's OK to depict and discuss counterfeits, but not to "praise" them, although what constitutes "praise" is left to the Moderator's discretion. I guess common sense applies. I interpret that to mean that any discussion of objectively positive aspects of a counterfeit are forbidden, but it's OK to make neutral statements or to criticize them. I'm honestly not sure, since the policy is not fully spelled out as far as I'm aware. Since most of the Chinabackers I've seen are junk, it's easy not to "praise" them. I don't discuss the "Lawsuit" basses on this forum, although they are commonly mentioned in terms that could be interpreted as "praise" on other forum threads, which is apparently acceptable. This represents my current understanding of the policy, If the Moderators want to clarify or correct this, by all means, please do.

405BassGuy and BassikBrad like this.
  10. 69'Vette

69'Vette

Jan 28, 2003
    Provo, UT
    If you're on Facebook, there's a Rickenfaker group with active discussions going on right now about the 4005 copies, including a few who have bought them or are in the process.

twocargar likes this.
  11. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    pfff well i tried a month ago to get in there. i’m not very well versed with facebook, unfortunately.

StereoPlayer likes this.
  12. I put a chinabacker 4005 in my cart a month ago..but I got scared. I even had the wife’s formal OK.

twocargar and BassikBrad like this.
  13. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    Maybe posts here should be written in inverse to avoid the "praise" matter.
    An example:

I have a lousy 4003 original Ric, it plays bad, the finish is rubbish and the electronics are cheap cr*p.
    I bought a 4003 chinabacker copy, it also plays quite bad and the finish is near rubbish, not to say anything of the electronics, dirt cheap stuff. The two sound equally bad.

Not a word of praise here right? Read this the right way and you'll get my point.

cornfarmer, Qlanq, 405BassGuy and 3 others like this.
  14. You check to see if any friends are members then click "join" group, they will get an alert to approve you.

If the group admin check your profile it helps to have bass related posts in your history.

twocargar likes this.
  15. It's OK to discuss and even praise fakers on the UK's Basschat, what you can't do is reveal or link to where you bought them.

There were complaints about fakes being sold on the forum so the site owners took the sensible step and banned all Ric related sales talk. Yes, that means neither faker nor legit can be advertised for sale :)

Funny thing is the legit Ric fans accepted the move while the cultists were never heard from again :laugh:

16. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    That would imply a fair number of legit Ric owners would also never be heard from again...

kodiakblair likes this.
  17. Strangely not that many, the die hard Ric fans mostly avoided the faker threads, too busy protesting poor QC claims on the legit threads :roflmao:

Qlanq and 69'Vette like this.
  18. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    As an avid Rickbass aficionado, I come here to check out the (Mostly Greco) lawsuit copies.

19. I’m a member and can invite you if you’d like. PM me and I can get your info.

20. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Electronics upgrade complete! Real Ric wiring harness (with push/pull bridge tone pot) and real Ric 4003 pup. What an improvement! Sounds like my vintage (real) 4001, but hotter, more aggressive. Worth the dollars invested!

20210210_170215.jpg 20210210_215615.jpg 20210210_215622.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021