1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Club RickenFaker / FakenBacker - Show Your Fake Rics!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It’s using the trademarked logos primarily, so if it says Rickenbacker on the headstock and it’s not a Ric, it can’t be sold here. The same goes with basses with Fender waterslide decals added.

ac100X, Qlanq, BassikBrad and 4 others like this.
  2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    that sounds fair

3. 69'Vette

69'Vette

Jan 28, 2003
    Provo, UT
    Thank you! That's what I figured it was, but I wanted to be sure; and that makes perfect sense.

4. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    Logos are copyrighted. Body and headstock shapes are trademarked. Both are legally protected, but enforcement is up to the copyright/trademark owner. Our legal system will do nothing till alerted by the IP owner. If said owner does not enforce their IP rights, they will lose them like most other instrument manufacturers did in the 1970's.

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Such a cool faker....
    20210211_212922.jpg 20210211_212848.jpg 20210211_212902.jpg

405BassGuy, Novarocker, Qlanq and 8 others like this.
  6. StudioGC

StudioGC Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    Very nice! That's exactly what I did with my Rickenfaker and it sounded great.

Quadzilla likes this.
  7. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    I want to play this game. Here's mine. It's the old, discontinued, Pitbull Guitars kit. Set neck, basswood body, chunky neck. All I used from the kit was the woodwork and the neck pickup, which will be replaced with a Retrovibe soon. Tuners are Guyker, surprisingly good quality. The bridge is the generic rickenfaker one, I turned the saddles round so it would intonate and shimmed them up to follow the neck radius. Treble pickup is a Seymour Duncan in a custom surround. It's wired exactly to Ric's own schematic - the Pitbull wiring is Les Paul wiring and it just doesn't work. Graphtec nut. Control knobs are genuine Ric as far as I can remember - they've been hanging round a while.

It was my COVID project last summer. I'd had the kit and all the parts for a while but never did anything with it. I made my own template for the headstock shape, not an exact copy, it's a more relaxed shape. I also had to make a routing template for the SD pickup. The Pitbull comes routed for a Jazz Bass pickup. I had the whole thing professionally clearcoated, but I'd always intended to do something a little bit more fun with the finish. You either love it, or hate it. I love it.

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

HaphAsSard, Beej, mikewalker and 9 others like this.
  8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Nice job on the artwork, that’s pretty cool. Another super-light string user I see, I used to have the same Funkmasters on my Steinberger, but they don’t make them in double ball anymore. They bend like butter! :D

9. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    I really enjoy the light gauge and "hot" sound of the Funkmasters on my real and fake Ric, but on my other bass I use Rotosound Nexus in a more conventional gauge. I think it's because I like to strap the Rics on low and play them with a pick, throwing chords around and generally being a hooligan. The Ric slab body screams out for a heavy pick. It's far too uncomfortable to play nice with. I only wish Rotosound would make the funkmasters and the Nexus without the silk windings. They just go scruffy and look awful after a while.

Engle likes this.
  10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    perfect finish for a faker

ChickWithaRic likes this.
  11. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    I thought so. Why recreate the original, when you can have fun instead?

12. Got this for Japanese 4003 copy for $250 last week. The neck PU was dead, but I unwrapped it and resoldered the coil wires to the leads and it’s measuring about 7K.

Someone did a cheesy fretless conversion using filler. I’m going to refret it cause you can’t really get clang without frets. That fingerboard is a thick slab!

That treble surround is not going back on. Any ideas on where to get one that doesn’t cost more than the bass? I could get a piece of 1/8 aluminum and make one.

An old friend passed away a couple of years ago and his brother gave me his parts collection, which included 4003 parts:a pickup cover, bridge saddle, mute, a set Rick branded tuners, and 3 Rick TRCs. So now I have a place for the tuners.:D
    2B09702A-1257-460C-8687-B9E7B8C1ABF9.jpeg 8A580CE1-FA27-469B-AA37-8AB38ABFF3DD.jpeg A7E9B50A-B056-4128-B08F-B5452CBBFFC1.jpeg 74AE6FBD-3636-4BB2-957F-807B5BC414A0.jpeg C7911501-826C-4899-8CDD-B1F4EA30FF4C.jpeg 90F6B7EA-E9CA-4B8F-9C6A-EC666AE891E1.jpeg 2A64AA62-ED74-4C67-BC9F-A6264B696018.jpeg B5D32A9A-D764-4D52-AAB6-D3D529FE55F8.jpeg

BassikBrad and JIO like this.
  13. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    Check out Retrovibe in the UK for their Slim Jim treble PU surround. David, the owner, is a very cool guy, super easy to deal with and very friendly. You might even wanna check out their pickups, Paul Gray of the Damned has been using them for quite a long time now. I have one on order myself.

I'd also be tossing that bridge and going for a Hipshot, but that's half what you paid for the bass so maybe not.

14. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    good project bass

15. MirandM

MirandM Married to my bass. Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    Allparts also has a dropin replacement bridge at around $80, not a hipshot but you'll get rid of the lift.

16. I’m in Canada, so that Hipshot would probably cost more than the bass!

Hmmm have to find out what shipping would be from the UK to Vancouver.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  17. Just remembered I also have these:
    6A692E9C-66C1-442C-BB7C-8423F24143DF.jpeg

Novarocker, Gaolee, woodyng2 and 2 others like this.
  18. Are they? I’ve had them for a long time, but have no idea how I ended up with them:thumbsdown:

19. Look them up on Reverb or eBay.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021