1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Club RickenFaker / FakenBacker - Show Your Fake Rics!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Yep, looks like it’s worth it to sell them. I should probably sell some other parts I’m not likely to use.

StereoPlayer likes this.
  2. Or use them!

3. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    These original 70's Grover tuners are worth over $200 to someone with an early 70's or 80's 4001 that's missing then. There are better, less expensive tuners that will fit the MIJ copy.

Engle, Gilmourisgod and StereoPlayer like this.
  4. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The old wavy grovers look cool, but they had an unfortunate habit of falling apart, dont know why they are considered desirable. Sell 'em and get a set of the Ric label Schaller's, far better tuners for around $90. They have a shorter tuning ear shaft than stock Fender style elephant ears, which look way too big on a Ric. The tuner shafts are 3/8", so you might need conversion bushings, dependi g on how your headstock was drilled. +1 on the Retrovibe parts, the only reasonably accurate and sanely priced parts I've seen for a Ric.
    Parts | Retrovibe

5. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    I've been really impressed with Guyker tuners. Yes, they are Chinese, but so is a lot of stuff now. They look very nice, and they work very well. I have two basses fitted with them. I would definitely recommend them. You need to measure the bore of your mounting hole. These need a 5/8 bore. You could, I suppose, shim it out, or dowel and redrill.

guyker.jpg

6. Sounds like the Rick branded tuners I have already are the Schallers you describe. They will fit with no reaming needed and cover 2 of the screw holes. (The original tuners on the bass are the biggest japanese tuners I have seen)
    36B80EB7-E833-47D4-BD22-84BB5CCF5E96.jpeg

MirandM likes this.
  7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Thats them! Very good tuners, i havent seen anything better except maybe the Hipshot HB-5's. They arent any lighter, and more expensive, but look very solid. You see full sized Fender style elephant ears on a lot of fakers, and they just look too big.

HB5 Bass Tuning Machine

MirandM likes this.
  8. MirandM

MirandM Married to my bass. Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    Effectively, Schaller manufactured the Ric labeled tuners you have, that's why in Ric environments they are called Schalller's.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Gilmourisgod likes this.
  9. They are quite nice. I got them a couple of years ago with a bunch of other parts and thought if I ever get a 4003 copy...

The bridge pickup base plate was screwed down to the bottom of the cavity with wadded up paper underneath it. But I’m assuming it should really be suspended from the treble surround with machine screws and springs?

MirandM likes this.
  10. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    That is correct.

Engle likes this.
  11. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    s-l1600 (7).jpg

Gilmourisgod, Engle and Guzzi Toad like this.
  12. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    Schaller and RIC have quite the relationship. You can buy a 4004 bridge from RIC for 200 bucks, or buy the same one direct from Schaller for $80.

13. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    Ric also has patents on absurd price strategies...

kodiakblair likes this.
  14. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    They called it "gouging" and John Hall trademarked it.

MirandM likes this.
  15. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    I think the only reason RIC went with the Schaller 3D bridge on the 4004 was to deal with the narrow string spacing and not have to tool up for a custom 17mm spaced bridge. That's fine and I have a lot of respect for the company and how it treats its workers, but I sure don't appreciate being price gouged on an easily off the shelf available piece of hardware. Just my two cents.

Novarocker, woodyng2 and MirandM like this.
  16. Thanks, I’ve worked on lots of basses before, but never a Ric (or copy). I took apart the neck PU and was surprised at the number of parts. It’s charming in its inefficiency.

17. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    20190718_202704.jpg While the Schaller 3D bridge is an adequate part, it's generic and boring looking. This was my solution.

Novarocker, ChickWithaRic and MG Wolf like this.
  18. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    I want one!

19. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    I am going to have that engraved on my 4003 headstock.

BassikBrad likes this.
  20. Things that make you go hmmm...

If you’re that concerned with people copying your designs, why make your instruments with the logo on a plastic truss rod cover?
    A nice high quality inlay on the headstock would be much harder to reproduce.

edit: I’m sure I’m not the first person to ask this question, and the JH response would be “We shouldn’t have to change our iconic design”

MirandM likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021