1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Club RickenFaker / FakenBacker - Show Your Fake Rics!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. StudioGC

StudioGC Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    I thought of an unfinished one as well, but by the time you add the hassle and expense of getting all the parts...correct tuner size....getting the bridge lined up etc. It gets to be expensive and a lot of work. For s bit more you get perfectly functional tuners a bridge that works and just add Good pups and harness and Bob's your uncle.

2. StudioGC

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    I thought of the 4005 as well, but I've heard they aren't hollow. Only routed out by the "sound hole". That's a lot of wood....super heavy.

3. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    They could, but instead, priced them according to what the market would bear. As it is, they will sell out soon enough at the 5k price point. Frankly, it's a good marketing strategy for making a boat load of money.

4. ac100X

ac100X

Apr 6, 2003
    California
    Mr. Hall, just dust off the 4005 tools you have had in the storage room since 1983.

Novarocker likes this.
  5. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    All the patterns and tooling for the original 4005 went in the trash back in the 80's. They weren't selling well at all. I remember one that hung on the wall at a music store here for over 2 years. I had one once, and when it came time to move it, no one wanted it, and no store would give me anything on trade. I think the new one looks better, but it's a short scale and the price (which is closer to 4k for those who look) isn't justifiable for anything I'm doing now.

Bushmaster and StudioGC like this.
  6. ac100X

ac100X

Apr 6, 2003
    California
    I understand all the tooling and drawings for the Saturn V moon booster went into the trash once NASA settled on the space shuttle as the next delivery vehicle (they didn't want a competing launch system other than the shuttle). Later they decided that there was a need for a big booster. They tried to resurrect it but they would have had to take the one remaining booster in the national aerospace museum and reverse engineer it, it was too expensive to do this (our tax dollars at work, Ok I'm going off topic a bit).
    If you recall, the Flying V, Firebird and Thunderbirds all sat for in years in music stores with out a buyer (one V hung from a music store ceiling for many years). Do they really throw tools away? If they do that is very short sighted. How do the Chinese get the tools to produce the fakes? Maybe the original tools ended up on E bay.
    Or maybe Mr. Hall could hire a Chinese Tooling firm to make fresh new 4005 tooling for Rickenbacker.

Engle likes this.
  7. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    RIC actually did throw all that stuff away. I know this for a fact, and it wasn't exactly tools they threw away. It was patterns and jigs. They don't even make instruments the way they did back then. They have three CNC machines that cut the bodies and necks. Any new instrument has to be prototyped then scanned. Other than the tuners, pickups, and wiring, everything about the original 4005 was unique to that instrument....and it didn't sell. The new 4005 looks to be a 4003 neck blank and tuners with a new fretboard, a double bound 330 body, wiring, knobs and pickups, and a bridge and trapeze tailpiece that probably came from Winfield Vintage. The new 4005 will probably sell out and have costed RIC a minimum in retooling expenses. As usual, I think RIC knows what they're doing.

Bushmaster, Koshchei, MirandM and 2 others like this.
  8. MirandM

MirandM Married to my bass. Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    Nice, that's the same one I have on order to convert to a fretless. Seller said it won't be shipped until after the spring holidays.
    I have a blue burst from the same seller and I can tell you that's one of the closest copies you can get. Neck tru, 33.25" scale (yes indeed!), slim neck. I also have a real 4003 so I know the difference. I did a few changes, like the bridge pickup, redid the electronics to the correct stereo and did a fretboard lacquering, stringjoy strings, now it not only looks good but also sound pretty real. And the price is even lower than others and I even got a discount on my second order.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 at 1:50 AM
    Bushmaster, StudioGC and BassikBrad like this.
  9. Cran

Cran

Oct 24, 2018
    Grr... So there's this Greco 4001/3 copy locally, tuxedo, but in absolutely mint condition (Only two chips on the headstock, from the photos). There's the problem that I can't afford it, and also I *know* that if I get it I'll stop playing my white P bass. I modded it during lockdown (It's actually been almost a year, wild!) and it's become my "main" bass, but I haven't had too much of a chance to play it out live so it's really a shame if I replace it already.

It's been around for a while (10 weeks already, price has dropped by a decent amount), but I low-key hope that someone else gets it because it's been torturing my dreams. These things only come up once every couple of years and the average price only keeps rising. I know I could get it as an "investment", but it'd only torture me more not to play it out live and wear it in.

Thought I'd let you guys know about my predicament. And no, I'm not gonna tell you where it is ;)
    (completely unrelated: Anyone keen to financially sponsor an 18 year old bassist from New Zealand?)

Engle, Bushmaster and MirandM like this.
  10. StudioGC

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    Great to hear that it's a trusted seller. Slim neck is a surprise as I was assuming the neck would be a baseball bat like my last Ric copy. Also, 33.25" scale is a pleasant surprise as well. The web page says 39" scale!

I'll use this harness:
    Screenshot 2021-02-22 072320.png

But just need to decide on pick ups. On my first Ric copy I kept the original bridge pick up and used an original Ric pick up in the neck position. I used the above harness and the bass sounded really good.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 at 6:33 AM
    Bushmaster, BassikBrad and MirandM like this.
  11. StudioGC

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    And....I'll bore you all again with the sounds of a Chinabacker with a genuine Ric neck pick up and Rickysounds harness. The rest is stock:

12. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    Not exactly, the 39" stands for size, not scale, and thus indicates this bass is about 39" long which in fact was my indicator for having the correct scale. When it says 39 or 40" it's likely to be so, otherwise for 34" it will be 41-43".
    The china bridge has a string spacing of 19 mm while the original ric is 17 mm, so be aware of the fact that when you use original ric pups your poles will not be exactly below the string if you do not change the china bridge to a ric compatible bridge. I used the typical fakenbacker pups but of a better quality, much like the high gain ones.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 at 9:31 AM
    Bushmaster and BassikBrad like this.
  13. StudioGC

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    Good to know, just looking at my DHgate "walnut" Ric and it seems my strings are pretty well lined up with the pole pieces on my genuine Ric neck pick up. I never measured the string spacing, but I can only assume it was on the larger size since the neck was massive. I would be very happy if the bass I get is shorter than 34" as well.

Which fakenbacker pick ups did you use?

MirandM likes this.
  14. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    A friendly word about that weird roller (but not really roller) bridge often found on Rickenfakers. It won't intonate as supplied. It's designed for a Ric scale.

It's simply not made for a 34" scale which is the norm for a faker. But you CAN fix it.

Mount it as far back as you can. Turn the saddles round 180 degrees, and shim up the back ends where they overhang the "carrier" (If you have this bridge you'll know what I mean by that) to bring them back level and to follow the fretboard radius. A useful tip is to use a drop of CA glue on each roller so they don't become food for the carpet monster every time you restring. You can also take some metal off the "carrier" with a belt sander to get a super low action. 1mm at most. Any more and it will probably break.

15. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    You should read my review on that china bridge here: Club RickenFaker / FakenBacker - Show Your Fake Rics!
    Correct intonation does not depend on the how the bridge is constructed, it depends on where the saddles are located from the 12th fret on and the used scale.
    I can use the same bridge for 33.25" or 34" it doesn't matter. If you rotate the saddles they are closer to the string mounting holes, thus you need to move the bridge closer to the bridge pup. If you want to use the china bridge to replace a ric bridge, this is the way to go as the saddles on the china bridge are positioned exactly where the mute bar on a ric bridge is. You can also see that clearly in my review.
    The radius is as I stated in my review, it has radius but NOT like the 10º of a ric. Nearly all fakenbackers have a standard radius around 12º.

Bushmaster, BassikBrad and StudioGC like this.
  16. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    IDK if anyone has seen the BBC TV show The Watch loosely or somewhat based on Terry Prachett's Discworld series of books. "The Watch" sometimes needs to fake being a band in the musician's guild. I thought this rick like thing looked pretty cool.

the watch.JPG

Engle likes this.
  17. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    For our USA TB'er users, our own @Aceonbass makes better-than-factory grade drop-in harnesses (you do have to solder in the pup wires) for around the same price, minus the overseas shipping hit. He uses better components and matched pot sets.
    Rickenbacker 4001/3S Bass Wiring Harness - Mono/Stereo w/Vintage Tone Control | eBay

Attached Files:

18. That not a real Ric? Looks real to me. No TRC.

19. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    That does look real, just BTS to match the Punk aesthetic.

Koshchei likes this.
  20. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    Unless they made bolt on ones, no. I thought it was real as well, until she pulled raise your bass in the air rock move and lo and behold a neck plate. Maybe it was installed for effect, but I kinda doubt that. This was the only pickture I could find online.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021