1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Club RickenFaker / FakenBacker - Show Your Fake Rics!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. MirandM

MirandM Married to my bass. Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    I had a hunch this wasn't, just didn't seem right somehow.

deff likes this.
  2. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    Richard Dormer (the leader of the watch) had a beat up tele and actually seemed like he made a reasonable effort to learn the songs they played and act like swarthy drunken pirate police captain all at the same time.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    a few clues are ... the fretboard looks like normal rosewood, the tuners are too big, and the skunk stripe is on the neck only ...

Wannabass and StereoPlayer like this.
  4. Didn’t notice the skunk stripe, thanks.

5. They should have upgraded to the ABM 3704. In the 90s, before the advent of the Hipshot A (which was inspired by it, though), this was one of the best one could get. (I had them installed on some of my basses following my late luthier's recommendation.)

Also otherwise RIC's product policy is... :banghead:

Your Cheyenne I (and later on the II) was the most inovative design they have come up since long, but a few years ago they trashed the whole of the 4004 Series only to recycle some of the basic ideas in the 4003(S)W. But it's Rick "enthusiasts" fault, too. They're obviously crazed about pickguards and crappy "vintage looking" bridges :sour:

Frankly, I bought my C64 just because it was the only Rick they had in store. Originally I had been looking for something totally different but was dissatisfied. After a few hours I detected this instrument and thought, 30 years earlier I might have liked it, so I gave it a shot :oops: I also drove a few hundred miles to some other store to check out a CS64, but it wasn't as convincing. So, the next day I again drove a few hundred miles to the first store :rolleyes:

Had they had a vast choice including 4004s I probably... Of course, this is but merely speculative :cautious:

I could go on ranting, but I realize this is not the Rickenbacker Fanatics Club. Probably they would want to kill me anyway for my heresies.

They're working on it. It's gonna be more vintage looking with dampeners and such :meh:

woodyng2 likes this.
  6. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    Yep, it was the rosewood that put me of... also the high gain neck pup, that just didn't seem to stroke with the headstock.

Bushmaster likes this.
  7. ac100X

ac100X

Apr 6, 2003
    California
    Mr. Hall you seem to have a wall of aversion towards ever bringing back the Rickenbacker 4005, I say:
    Mr. Hall, Tear down this wall!
    As I looked out a moment ago from the local Guitar Center, that embodiment of Musical unity, I noticed words crudely spray-painted upon the wall, perhaps by a young Bass player, "This wall will fall".

Quadzilla and Bushmaster like this.
  8. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    Unlike RIC (and myself) this company doesn't use proper shielded output jack wire. Otherwise it's laid out correctly. Wonder why they chose to cheap out on the output jack wire. Perhaps fluorescent lights in the UK don't induce hum.

Bushmaster likes this.
  9. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    Big wonky tuners, single truss rod, and fretboard inlays that are too pointy are the tells of a fake that jump out to me.

10. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017

I'd say Matsumoku - probably Ibanez, judging by those machine heads, and the single truss rod.

Sadly, it looks like the props department went medieval on it, to make it look more "PUNKROCK!" ( the wear by the bridge, and on the edge of the scratchplate looks like someone took an angle grinder to it).

Man, I hope it wasn't in great condition before they did that - Even if it saved the production money, by not using a real Rickenbacker.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 at 11:43 PM
    Bushmaster likes this.
  11. So is this a specific type of rosewood? Seems more orange than Brazilian rosewoods like on a Gibson.
    Whatever it is, it’s not hard enough to take pounding from stainless round-wounds played enthusiastically.
    Good thing the fingerboard is really thick!
    I wonder how thick the inlays are?
    919BD29D-0C53-416E-A2D8-4763F3BB655F.jpeg D4C05D29-692E-4C12-BFC3-9DB1A0C14DDC.jpeg

Bushmaster and MirandM like this.
  12. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    I'd give that fretboard a sanding over before fretting it, it has some pretty visible string impressions.

Bushmaster likes this.
  13. For sure. I am concerned about the inlays getting too thin.

14. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    Yep, that might be a problem seeing that some of them are also affected by those strings and having rounded corners that would be a real pita to replicate...
    Maybe it would be a good idea to change them all to pointed ones, you could cut the fb corners to points and just make new ones. Just an idea.

15. Any ideas where to buy triangle inlays?

16. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    That's true enough for a 24 fret neck like most Chinese fakes seem to have now, but I have a 21, effectively moving the nut closer to the bridge saddles. To look more Ric like, the 24 fret necks are mounted further out. I measured back carefully from the nut to the theoretical intonation line (33.85" in my case) and mounted the bridge so the ideal centers of the saddle rollers were coincident with that line.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  17. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    So you have a neck with frets placed according to that 33.85" ?

18. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    860mm according to the Australian manufacturer of the kit. So yes, 33.85", or a little more than 1/8" shy of 34". And yes, the fret positions work out.

Far Eastern manuufacturers have used 860mm since at least the early 80s, so it's far from an unusual scale length.

MirandM likes this.
  19. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Boy thats weird, are metric scales common? I naively thought it was all Imperial based on the early American designs. I guess it doesnt matter as.long as the frets are placed accurately.

Novarocker and MirandM like this.
  20. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    I imagine that when Japanese manufacturers tooled up for their own designs, they chose 860mm as the nearest convenient metric length to the US 34 inches. That's just a guess but it makes sense as they use the metric system there.

Gilmourisgod and MirandM like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021