1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Club RickenFaker / FakenBacker - Show Your Fake Rics!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. @Gilmourisgod

We use SAE/Imperial as a form of shorthand. At work i'll ask the lads to get x number of 4 x 2 or 2 x 2, the timbers they hand me are metric so 45 x 45.

Same with instruments, in one place it will say 34" scales, specs will be metric.

Gilmourisgod and ChickWithaRic like this.
  2. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    You can buy small sheets of inlay material and cut your own. I'd be sure and use a radius sanding block if you're going to sand those gouges out, or consider using Gluboost to fill them in if you intend to laquer it.

3. Slidlow

Slidlow Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    Metric scales are common on Classical guitars. I've started using a non standard metric string length for my personal basses extrapolated from classical scales. Common for classical guiter is 650mm and 660mm.

4. Thanks - yes I have a radius block I made in the 80s o_O
    I started on it last night. Bubinga (assuming that’s what it is) is quite smelly when you sand it!
    The inlays are Mother of a Toilet Seat. I could cut my own MOP and replace them, but that’s a fair bit of time.

StudioGC and ChickWithaRic like this.
  5. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    The inlays you have are probably thicker than you think, and you **probably** won't have to sand off as much material as it may look like. I think you'll get away with this.

It's either bubinga or bocote I think. Maybe a little too blonde for bocote. Either way, please wear a mask for the sanding. Wood dust is a sensitizer. And now I sound like your mother. Did you eat your vegetables today?

StudioGC, Novarocker and BassikBrad like this.
  6. Okayyyy I’ll be careful....:rolleyes:
    Seriously that’s a good reminder. I have learned the hard way that I have sensitivity to some wood dust. Rosewood and Walnut can cause me grief, and I absolutely can’t cut plywood without a mask (although it’s more likely the glue that can trigger some nasty headaches).

ChickWithaRic likes this.
  7. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Kind of off topic, but you reminded me of an interview with the special effects guy that created the apocalyptic future flashbacks, for the original 'The Terminator'.

He created all the explosions by crushing up walnut shells into dust, and igniting it, whilst filming with high speed cameras.

Anyway, try not to blow yourself up - it's explosive stuff.

Novarocker likes this.
  8. I think I’ll be ok! But it is a hazard in large quantities for sure.
    Love the old Arnold movies!

Wood and Wire likes this.
  9. MirandM

MirandM Married to my bass. Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    No need to make a BOOM bass... :roflmao:

10. kevmac

kevmac

Mar 17, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Good luck with that.Ive bought off Aliexpress before but as like with trying the suggested search most times it is a lesson in futility.I put in a concise description for say a bass guitar volume pot and a tackle box shows up.Maybe it is the language barrier,but they've lost more than one sale to me due to giving up after trying different descriptions with no results.

11. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Yeah, it’s a crapshoot for sure, some people have great experiences with Aliexpress, plenty of horror stories too, mostly along the lines of them sending what they have instead of what you asked for, knowing you might keep it for a discount. That risk seems about the only option for kit builders at the moment, Ric has been very effective at killing commercial clone kits. Even a well made kit is not for the faint of heart, it requires a lot of time and patience, a lot more than most realize.

BassikBrad likes this.
  12. No maybe about it.

You're trying to place an order using your version of English with your own brand of terminology.

Nobody uses SAE except folks in the USA so give your sizes in metric. Think hard about what you are describing. You say "neck", the French refer to it as "handle". Find out the proper Chinese term.

Be specific about requirements, provide pictures, clarify details. Get all of those sorted before placing the order.

Even better, have someone fluent in Chinese place the order. I know a Welshman with a great stealth black fretless Faker, he was sensible enough to marry a Chinese lass so she arranged the deal. Added bonus, Chinese customers get better prices.

Ali-Ex payments are kept in escrow. If the goods received are not what was ordered you don't authorise the payment ,its that simple. Follow procedure and stick to your guns. Tell Ali-Ex and inform your credit card company, with international deals its best to use a credit card linked to Paypal.

Pretty difficult for a seller to get any money when Ali-Ex, Paypal and Visa/Mastercard etc are disputing the deal.

Engle, twocargar, MirandM and 2 others like this.
  13. tubedude

tubedude Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Ga
    Now that's some long term planning. If I married a Chinese gal I wouldn't have had to make a Ric inspired build.

Engle and kodiakblair like this.
  14. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    GLWTS, great looking bass. I'm not crazy about chunky necks either.

Engle likes this.
  15. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    Very rightly spoken. Especially the last part, of which I can only confirm that in more than 10 year on AliExpres I never lost a cent, which cannot be said of DHGate or Ebay.
    And yes, much depends on how you treat your seller. Using only a few simple Chinese terms will get you better started and maintaining an educated conversation even if things go wrong is important.
    In my 10+ years on Aliexpress I've had worse treatment from European sellers (yes Spanish ones included) than any of the Chinese I dealt with.
    And let it be said, on every market their are some sellers that want to rip you off, European, American, Chinese etc. no exceptions. It is easy to criticize the Chinese, but let's be honest, most of our home products are made by them, lots of great makes have factories there and we generally don't even know.

kodiakblair, StudioGC and BassikBrad like this.
  16. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    Super tempted to pull the trigger on this from Aliexpress. It's expensive for a bare bones but given that I'd be throwing most of the hardware away from a complete bass, I suppose it really makes no difference, and I'd able to avoid some of the bad finishing seen on the 4004LK copies. 4004LK.jpg

twocargar, Novarocker, Qlanq and 4 others like this.
  17. StudioGC

StudioGC Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    Yes, that is a great looking bass husk.

MirandM and ChickWithaRic like this.
  18. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo Supporting Member

May 14, 2002
    Busted again :cigar:

19. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    39" size so most probably 33.25" scale. Most likely this comes from the same factory as my LK copy even though it's not the same seller.

ChickWithaRic likes this.
  20. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    There's no routing, drilling, anything at all on it other than the tuner holes in the headstock. It doesn't even look to be cut for a nut, looks like there's a fret slot there instead to cut up to. Suits me fine as I'm a big fan of the zero fret and I'd probably go that way.

Of course there's no routing for the pickups to be done on a 4004 so that's a bonus, just the control cavity would need to be cut from the rear. I can do that. Bridge would be a Schaller 3D (because I already have a gold one), tuners from Guyker, which I know I've mentioned before but they really are good. I'm thinking Retrovibe for pickups.

Drilling for the pickup leads could be a challenge but nothing that can't be done. What I like most is that it's unfinished. I've seen so many of these with badly done staining of the body wings creeping into the neck. I can get around that. I figure I'd be into it for $700 complete. I don't think that's unreasonable given the level of hardware I have in mind.

Y'all need to talk me out of this now.

twocargar and Qlanq like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021