Club RickenFaker / FakenBacker - Show Your Fake Rics!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. I agree with you. I had a Jay Turner...it played and sounded pretty darn good. It filled that Hofner need without spending a lot of money. Gone now due to downsizing. Fun bass!

also I bought a Rouge HS case for it on MF, it fit perfectly l

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  2. Are factory workers well paid anywhere ?

Wages should be viewed in context.

In the industrial powerhouse which is Shenzhen it's almost impossible to hire workers for less than $5 per hour, over in Ho Chi Minh you are looking at $3 per hour but it's rising fast. What do those kind of wages buy ?

Inexpensive meal : Shenzhen $4.57. Ho Chi Minh $2.17. USA $15.00
    20 Marlboro. Shenzhen $3.80. Ho Chi Minh $1.23. USA $8.00
    Monthly bus ticket. Shenzhen $30. Ho Chi Minh $6.71. USA $65.
    Basic utilites (gas/electric/waste). Shenzhen $73.57. Ho Chi Minh $69.01. USA $163.95

Compared to folks in the USA on minimum wage ( $7.50), East Asian workers do quite well.

3. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    Depends on the factory and where it is, but yes, good point. This is why you'll never compete with China on cost, so you have to go for quality. Unfortunately people often think a $90 Amazon special P-Bass lookalike will give you that growl.

Yeah ok, spend time, and money, and it could do that. Billy Sheehan has a YouTube video up where he pretty much did that, and we all know it's possible.

I think one thing with low end China made instruments is that have got a lot cheaper and also a lot shoddier. Misaligned bridges, dollar store electrics, badly cut nuts (snigger), tuners that slip like they are going to prison tomorrow... you know the score. I have a 1998 China Squier Affinity Strat (Serial no. beginning CY98), and I replaced the tuners and nut, had the frets dressed and recrowned, but otherwise it's how it shipped, and it's one of the nicest Strats I've played even on the stock ceramic pickups. By 1999 they had gone to thinner bodies and they just weren't the same.

I regard them as projects. They can be a lot of fun. Sure, some will never be any good because of fundamental flaws, but others are diamonds in the rough. You can't polish a turd, but you can make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

MirandM and BassikBrad like this.
  4. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    You could do the same thing using New York, NY and San Angelo, TX.

5. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017

Sure, but the U.S. factories don't have suicide nets, use child labour, ethnic minority slave labour, or expose their work force to toxic fumes - better healthcare, and vacations too.

BlueTalon likes this.
  6. OK

San Angelo, TX.

Inexpensive meal $11. 20 Marlboro $5.48. Travel pass $38. Basic utilities $175.

New York.

Inexpensive meal $20.00 20 Marlboro $15.00. Travel pass $127.00. Basic utilities $162.00

BlueTalon likes this.
  7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    ^^ Now compare rent/mortgage and state taxes between the two.

8. @Wood and Wire

My response to your post (#1905) would breach TB's no politics rule.

Why, are you thinking of moving to either of them ?

9. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I highly doubt anyone on this thread would willingly trade working conditions and salary/benefits with the average Chinese worker, so buying ANY Chinese consumer items has a certain moral/ethical component to it that everyone has to weigh for themselves. For some things you really have no other choice these days. I own plenty of Chinese stuff, and have probably violated the strict letter of the U.S. law regarding Intellectual Property, knowingly or otherwise, on numerous occasions, as have we all. No high horses will be ridden. I'll leave policing the world for IP violations to Ric, who is also an IP violator (they straight-up ripped off the Tubeampology Treble Bezel, right down to the name). Based on my own sample of (1) Chickenbacker played in person, I'd counsel a heavy Buyer Beware, but I make no other judgement on the moral/legal issues involved. Given their own blatantly predatory behavior regarding IP, intermittently shoddy QC, and crap warranty, I'll shed no tears for Rickenbacker Inc. All the Chickenbackers sold don't seem to have put the tiniest dent in their profit margin.

10. MirandM

MirandM Married to my bass.

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    Keeping production numbers as low as possible to maintain high prices (and profit) while not having to depend on massive production facilities (oh yeah, who are good at that? yep, the Chinese...) and thus being able to promote an all American made product, will keep clients on a waiting list so you can charge them just about anything you like... Not to say anything about their replacement components...
    Yes, one can say Ric has some very interesting strategies...
    And yes, chickenbackers do exactly the same as the gazilion fender shaped copies did for Fender, and that while Leo didn't spend money on a Fender-police squad, instead he could expand his business to other countries like Mexico, Japan and guess what... China, to make his quality instruments at lower prices.
    I'm not going to judge here, anyone can make up his own mind, but one should ask this: who of the two really had the customer's interests at heart and which one only had his own business interests at heart?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Gilmourisgod and BassikBrad like this.
  11. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    They both totally had their own business interests at heart. I've read quite a bit about Leo and pretty much everything he did was to increase his profit.

12. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    That’s business, it’s fundamentally self serving and mercenary, which doesn’t always mean it’s a negative influence. Ric really pissed me off hosing Tubeampology after all those years of touting it’s Made in America and IP protection schtick, which all dissolved into BS when it was convenient for them to steal somebody else’s IP. The fact that that kind of corporate behavior is common as dirt doesn’t mean I have to like it. They make a nice bass with some glaring flaws, they aren’t alone in that club.

TrustRod and mapleglo like this.
  13. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    Leo Fender sold his company to CBS in 1964, long before the company started production in other countries. When Leo had his two subsequent instrument companies, he didn't produce instruments in other countries either. While I can afford an American made Gibson or Fender, I'll probably never buy one because Squiers and Epiphones can be just as good. The only basses I've ever spent big (or at least bigger) money on are Rickenbackers and a couple of Music Man basses (that I don't have anymore because I just couldn't bond with them). Calling a company predatory for protecting their IP is like calling me mean for locking my front door and being armed behind it.

14. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The predatory comment in my post was quite clearly related to Ric’s theft of Tubeampology’s idea. If ripping off a mom n’ pop business because you have deeper legal pockets than they can afford to contend with isn’t predatory, I don’t know what is. I applaud their zealous protection of their own IP, which requires me to condemn them for engaging in the same practice they so zealously defended themselves against. If you are serious in your support of Rics campaign to defend its own IP, I don’t see how you can sanction what they did, They don’t get a pass because I love their basses. IP theft is either always wrong, or it never is. Pick one.

TrustRod and ICM like this.
  15. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Only a Sith lord deals in absolutes :p

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  16. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The Force is Surely with you Lady Mapleglo, I bow to your greater wisdom, and will now shut up. :D

mapleglo likes this.
  17. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    Not only did Tubeampolgy not patent/trademark its product, but it wasn't the first one like it. The originators of the yellow "smiley face" and AT&T "walking fingers" icons didn't trademark their work either, and they've been in the public domain for some time. Also remember that these trebel bezels only fit Rickenbackers trademarked parts. That aside, what someone else does or doesn't do doesn't change the way I do things or give me an excuse to change my standards.

18. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    Um, anybody gots good pictures of ersatz Rickenbackers they want to post, cuz that’d be kinda cool to look at?

Qlanq and HaphAsSard like this.
  19. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Give me a couple of days. You'll love them.

D M C and HaphAsSard like this.
  20. BassikBrad

BassikBrad Bass Face Brad Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2018
    Las Vegas. New Mexico
    DSC_2578.JPG DSC_2580.JPG DSC_2581.JPG I wanted, so bad a traditional looking 5 string Ric, so had to have one made for me.

34" , unfortunately but 20 frets
    3 piece, maple & mahogany neck thru' & Rosewood fret board
    Bass wood body with spalted maple top & back
    Hipshot bridge, 19mm string spacing
    Fullsize pots, Ric wiring
    Currently sporting Sentell pickups
    About 7lbs

Sounds damn good, but the Sentell pickups are not as Ric sounding as I would like.
    Hopefully, I will finally be getting Classic Amplification pickups next week & will
    post an update of how they sound.

Thanks go out to @Gilmourisgod , @MirandM & @Ric5

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    twocargar, D M C, deff and 9 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021