Club RickenFaker / FakenBacker - Show Your Fake Rics!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The bottom horn does look odd, the “hook” a little too sharp. It’s strange, because the Chinese are obviously capable of making a perfect replica.... but choose not to, or don’t care, none of which affects the playability, of course, but the shape is so iconic I can’t help but see the variation. Let’s recall, however, that Ric also messed with the body and headstock proportions quite a bit over the years, so you have to decide which version is “correct” for yourself.

MirandM likes this.
  2. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    Not sure about the phony trc…

3. StudioGC

StudioGC Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    It's about $286.45 right though

4. StudioGC

StudioGC Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    Bridge and tuners are actually OK, I'd go as far to say the bridge is better than the previous version Ric bridge. Easy to adjust and intonate. Going to lose the pick up cover when I replace the pick ups.....that does look wrong.

BassikBrad and MirandM like this.
  5. MirandM

MirandM Married to my bass.

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    Superposed image over the original Ric 4003 body:

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Shape is quite accurate, except for what @Gilmourisgod (right as usual) mentioned, the lower horn has a bit more pronounced point. Another thing I noticed straight away is the taller pickguard around the neck pup. This is easily solved using a oem ric pickguard, if one wants of course.

6. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    On this note, i've been curious how ric doesn't come hard after these? Seems like you list a TRC for sale and they pounce, lol

7. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    Because the Chinese have their own laws and don't give a :poop: about Ric, John Hall or anybody else for that matter.
    The USA can go after Huawei by banning them, but won't be able do a thing inside China. What does Huawei? They move their stuff through alternate/gray channels. There's a remedy for everything.

8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    They still police Ebay pretty effectively, Chickenbackers occasionally pop up, but they are always gone pretty quick, presumably taken down at Ric's behest. I am generally against counterfeiting and IP theft, but given Ric's recent history of IP theft against Tubeampology, I don't have much sympathy for them. I do think if you are going to buy one of these, the least gesture towards IP protection would be to swap out the TRC for something custom that identifies it as a copy. I'm a long-term bugs bunny fan, so this one was fun, and relatively easy, to make:
    SAOSK6v.jpg

9. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    Personally I think your builds are above Ric standards (if any) so they shouldn't even bear their name, unless they pay you of course :thumbsup:

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    I like to put home made TRCs on my real Rickenbackers

4004-0003.jpg

Novarocker, MirandM and Gilmourisgod like this.
  11. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I’ve seen raised-letter Fake Ric Chinese TRC’s on Aliexpress (and EBay-briefly) that look pretty convincing, which is good for real Ric owners with a broken TRC, but also makes a counterfeit harder to spot. I’m conflicted on that one.

MirandM likes this.
  12. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    I've yet to see one counterfeit that has the same thickness as a real Ric, and of course the real Ric bridge which is unmistakable. A fake TRC with raised letters doesn't change that one bit.

13. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The Allparts bridge, which is what I used on my clones, is virtually identical to the original V1 bridge, for 1/3 the cost of Ric OEM. They average around $60 on EBay now, and would be a step up from the Chinese bridge, but are made for 33.25” scale. The saddles are chromed instead of dull zinc, and the string holes are slightly different, big whup. Supposedly a better alloy of zinc in the later V1, but one of my Allparts has been in for 5 years now with no tail lift. As with all Ric bridges, the mute is nearly useless.

MirandM likes this.
  14. That's it in a nutshell.

Trademarks only work in places they are registered. RIC have never registered anything in the PRC, there is no case to answer to or for.

Until they register a trademark in the PRC, factories there can legally produce instruments bearing the offending TRC.

MirandM likes this.
  15. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    Yup, I have one too, but it is clearly distinguishable, like you said.
    There might be some lawsuit bass out there that is 99.99% equal, but since they died long ago not a real threat to any potential buyer.

16. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    From what I've read, Ric let it's trade dress protection lapse in Australia, so for a while companies like Pitbull Guitars were importing Chickenbackers from China in kit form, unassembled or painted, and then re-selling all over the place, including the US, then suddenly stopped. I sense the long hand of Ric, but who knows. Most of the other ChickenKits have also disappeared. I thought about buying one early on, but they were all set neck with about 1/4" of wood under the heel, and, and some had a tendency to crack at the neck joint. With a thin body like that, I think you really need multi-piece/neck through construction.

Edit:
    Just checked their website, no Ric Kits for sale anymore
    Bass Guitar Kits

MirandM likes this.
  17. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    That's not true. They just no longer have any dealers in Australia.

18. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    Hey gang, sorry that I haven't caught up on the whole thread, so this may well have been covered earlier!

I'm thinking of getting one of these Fakers as a "beater" Rick, for some tour dates I have (eventually) once it's deemed safe enough for travel and live shows, and don't really feel like flying with my real one. I'm assuming aliexpress is the place is hunt, wondering if there are any tips for navigating what appears to be a proper minefield? Like, maybe there's a seller some of you have bought from that you can vouch for, or some classic details on the basses which note ones to avoid. It's not an outrageous investment for one of these, but I'd still like to find any extra surety that I can if/when I decide to pull the trigger.

The plan would definitely be to gut the thing, and put in some proper hardware/electronics, but that's a whole later discussion I don't need to sweat just yet.

19. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    @MirandM or @StudioGC can probably point you towards some of the more reliable vendors, Aliexpress is indeed a minefield, with wildly variable levels of quality available. If you are willing to put some work or better parts into it, you can end up with a decent player......or unplayable junk, so do your homework.

sloppy_phil likes this.
  20. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    These copies coming from China look more like Ricks than they sound like them. A Squier Jazz bass is a better looking and sounding instrument. Better quality too.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021