Club RickenFaker / FakenBacker - Show Your Fake Rics!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    This I believe! Finding one to re-create the tone of a real Rick isn't exactly the goal; the bands I play in these days don't even make use of the "classic" Rick tone, and especially if I were to go on and upgrade the electronics, I'm sure I could get it sounding just fine for what I'd need from it. And to boot, I've yet to find a Jazz that I can personally bond with (and I've played a bunch!), plus I have a P, so that's also covered.

I guess, if I can manage some feedback from folks who own some of these basses, it would be interesting to hear how much these play/feel like a Rick; the playability and comfort is probably the one thing I love about my 4003 above all the others. So if I can get something approximating that element, then any tonal discrepancies I can live with; this bass would be for those gigs and/or tours where I don't feel like rolling the dice with my nicest instrument.

2. MirandM

MirandM Married to my bass.

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    In this case you shouldn't be looking for a fakenbacker. There are ric shaped basses that have a normal high mass bridge and j-pups. They have the body and neck shape of a Ric but without the awful copy bridge pickup that occupies a rather large cavity.
    The other option is to buy a Rocktile Pro RB400. This is a ric-alike bass but with a normal bridge and Jazz bridge pickup. It has a set-in neck but plays great. It's 34" but with little work you can make a very good instrument of that bass. I have one and did some work to make it decent, but straight out of the box it's playable. You can find it on amazon or straight from the German manufacturer Musikhaus Kirstein. Another thing that's nice is the price at around $200. It's available in black, natural and fireglo.

3. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    I read the same thing as @Gilmourisgod, they didn't renew the patents in Australia. I also heard it from some Aussie member.

4. Lemmeguess: something something about filling in the bridgepickup cavity?

5. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    Since I made three part review that cost me two hours to make it decent and objective and this was blatantly deleted without even notifying me, I will NO longer post anything here. If any of you want to contact me you can do so via PM or in other threads where I'm active.
    I'm sorry but deleting hard elaborated posts without even having the decency of notifying about it is crossing a RED line with me, doing this will definitely be taken into consideration at the time of renewing my support to TB.

6. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Sounds like you fell afoul of the no “praising” counterfeits rule, but a courtesy warning to clean anything resembling praise off the thread might have been nice.Not sure why that would apply, since you clearly pointed out the flaws too. I’ll admit I don’t understand how this policy is applied, or why it only seems to apply to Ric clones. Puzzling.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    BassikBrad likes this.
  7. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    I'm actually surprised this thread is allowed to exist due to the rule listed here about praising fakes:woot:

8. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    I appreciate the feedback, but I'm not quite sure I understand why I shouldn't be on the lookout for one of these? These fakenbackers appear to have the body and neck shape of a proper rick, which is mostly what I'm on the lookout for. The pickups, overall sound, and electronics are of secondary importance, since I can mess around with those easily enough if I want. Is it your experiences that these basses don't play or feel like the genuine article? If not, then fair enough, maybe I should reconsider these thoughts. But my limited takeaway so far has been that these basses rather feel like a Rick, but maybe don't quite sound like one without some messing about.

9. StudioGC

StudioGC Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    I can DM you later today the sellers I used. I purchased a "walnut" faker from DHgate and the latest was from Aliexpress.

I'm with you on not using a real Ric for gigs. I brought a real Ric back from the States this winter (to the UK) and just sold it as it's worth too much to have as a gigging bass. We travel for weddings and also do theatre gigs and outdoor shows and I don't want to worry about bass....a real Ric I would worry about.

Below photo is my Walnut Faker in action for a run of theatre shows we did (Beatles heavy....hence the Ric). All I changed was the neck pick up with a real Ric pickup and a aftermarket Ric harness. The neck was really thick and the bass was heavy, but sounded great....I mean....(it sounded some undetermined degree less than terrible).
    Screenshot 2021-05-06 095527.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-06 100717.png

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    staurosjohn and Gilmourisgod like this.
  10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Careful! How about "it sounded some undetermined degree less than terrible". Is that OK with the Censors?

J_Bass, Engle, BlueTalon and 2 others like this.
  11. StudioGC

StudioGC Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    Fixed!

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  12. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    Cool, yeah I'd appreciate it any leads you have! DM me at your leisure :)

Don't get me wrong, I use a real Rick on a LOT of gigs! The bass is older than me, and it came to me with plenty of battle scars from previous ownership, so it's not babied by any stretch. But I also play (well, used to play; lockdown has no end in sight in Toronto) a lot of sweaty little club gigs, and some "clown car"-type out of town shows where I wouldn't mind having more of a beater bass with me

StudioGC likes this.
  13. christpncher

christpncher

Mar 25, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i own 2 of the 70s MIJ copies and they have the feel of the real thing. i doubt many of the china ones due, different woods, bodies are much thicker, neck shapes different, wrong headstock angle, different bridge, cheap frets etc.

Aceonbass likes this.
  14. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Commonly referred to as the "Lawsuit" basses, because Ric successfully sued all the Japanese companies making them, including Ibanez, Greco, Fernandes, etc. Some of them were literally 1:1 copies, and of "some undetermined degree of less than terrible quality that arguably exceeded the less then terrible quality of the OEM Ric Basses". They go for prices in the $800+ range these days, if you can find one. Ric routinely polices them off websites like Ebay, but they still pop up randomly on Reverb. What make are yours? Neck through or bolt-on?

MirandM likes this.
  15. But did they ?

The only "Lawsuit" I've ever heard of was Gibson vs Ibanez, that was in 1977 and over the open book headstock.
    By the time the case was heard Ibanez had already moved to a different headstock design, whole affair was settled out of court.

The Ric "lawsuits" I'm aware of were C&D letters sent to small US luthiers, without the cash to fight and win the case.

Steve Dallman likes this.
  16. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I don’t know how many ever actually went to court, in some cases the threat may have been enough. I don’t blame them for protecting their IP, the Japanese were pretty blatant about it, and clearly eating into Ric’s market with very faithful copies for far less money, but now Ric did exactly the same thing to Tubeampology in reverse, ripping off the IP of a small company that doesn’t have the resources to take Ric to court. Per usual, you get exactly the level of legal protection you can afford. I know that’s just Business, but the hypocrisy grates on my nerves.

17. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    This bothers me quite a bit, especially without even changing the name.

To be fully honest, I really don't understand why they haven't done something similar to what EBMM did with SBMM (I don't know the full details). Found a manufacturer overseas of integrity and quality, then allow them to make licensed versions. Maybe 1/3-1/2 the retail price of a 4003? Most all the hardware has already been copied to some extent (allparts bridge).

The gold mine, IMO, this would be is immense. Mostly due to the inflated cost Ric's are in the rest of the world, I could see many people justifying the cost of a licensed product who would otherwise never purchase a Ric type product that would lead to money in Ric's pocket...sure not as much since it's just a licensed product, but I could see this translating to a considerable amount and heavily cutting into the counterfeit market.

I mean if you can't afford an EBMM, why would you buy a counterfit/copy, when you could buy an SBMM of known quality (likely better) that costs not so much more. Especially when the quality of the build, (outside of possible electronics/pup swaps) is enough to last a lifetime or playing career?

I digress, and thus is why I chose to build my own Ric inspired bass. All the sound captured in something I can justify the cost of, which happened to be in the same ballpark as SBMM and tributes.

18. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    They have never licensed the designs because they didnt have too, they have run a carefully managed backlog for years, which keeps prices high. Hall apparently wanted to keep it a small, profitable company, I cant fault him for that, he succeeded. Now that his son is running it, they are taking some baby steps on incremental improvements like the V2 bridge and DA rods, but I doubt he'll change the basic business model. Given the boom and bust cycles Fender and Gibson have gone through, getting bigger isnt always a great idea. Relative to their price point, their QC and warranty suck, but as long as people keep lining up to buy them, there is no real incentive to change anything.

Novarocker likes this.
  19. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    Totally understandable and personally from a business perspective, that's what I would do. Though I don't think I would avoid licensing in a similar manner as Hipshot or EBMM, at least if demand appeared to be there. Would bring in some more revenue and if literature and management of the license were of good reasonable limits, etc. I could see it as something sustainable and not as susceptible to the rise and falls that Fender and Gibson see. But who knows.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  20. ChickWithaRic

ChickWithaRic

Feb 19, 2021
    Oregon
    (at the risk of this being deleted...)

Bear in mind I hadn't read MirandM's original posts before they got deleted so if this is repeating her observations, my apologies.

I agree the Rocktile is good value and the body shape is spot on with nicely enough done binding. As far as I can tell, and I'm told this is actually the case, it's made from all the exact same parts as the Pitbull kit I bought, and so that's what I'm basing my comments upon.

The truss rod on these is dual action, so be aware of that. The neck profile is vintage P Bass (a baseball bat) with the same nut width. If you're feeling super confident, I'm sure there's enough wood in there to bring it down to a modern C shape. If you're handy with a router, you'll find you can just about squeeze in a R type headstock shape, and you'll want to be handy with a router anyway unless you're happy with a J pickup in the treble spot. Let's face it, a J was good enough for Stu Cook, there's a historical precedent here.

The neck position mini humbucker is good enough until funds allow replacement, at which point you can drop it into the neck spot on your Squier Telecaster for a win/win bonus move. As usual, you're going to want to rewire it. They come wired like a Les Paul. I found the fretwork was pretty awful, with obvious file marks on the binding and the fretboard, I did level, recrown and polish the frets and managed to dress out the worst of the file marks. The nut was garbage, I used a white Graphtec I had in my Big Box Of Things. The control knobs were also garbage. Again, The Big Box Of Things had suitable replacements.

I have a Seymour Duncan in the treble spot on mine, and a Retrovibe in the neck. Both very good pickups. It doesn't sound like the R bass, and it never will, but it's a cool pose item and a lot of fun. And if playing wasn't fun, we wouldn't be doing it.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021