1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Club Sadowsky!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Dec 23, 2007.

Tags:
  1. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    I have one of each. A Verdine 5, a satin J5 and a Satin Modern 5. Before I got into my Sadowsky addiction all I played were J-basses for over 20 years. Ill be honest, now the J-bass gets the least amount of playing time since I got the Verdine 5 and the Satin Modern 5. Like you said I'm having a hard time finding a sweet spot. It's SC equipped so it's nice and growly but it's also very wide sounding. Boom city. Can easily take over a live mix if you aren't careful. The VW5 and the Modern have such a punch and focus. They drop right into any mix and sound perfect to my ears. Im actually having another Modern built to take the place of the J bass (the band I use it with uses a specific tuning and I need a dedicated bass).

The J sounds killer, don't get me wrong - but the VW 5 and the Modern 5 were THE sounds I have had in my head for years. Now I have them coming out of my cabs.

2. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    The blue one? I own that now, lol..

ElMon and kobass like this.
  3. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK

That's the one. It had such a unique thing going on in the low-notes and it didn't have that 'gank' when slapped that turns me off to Pau Ferro.

So ... like a dummy ... I flipped it.

Go figure.

There's a black ash/maple Metro Will Lee 5 somewhere in that mix.

I have a problem that only multiple Sadowsky can fill.

Spidey2112, JLY and gustobassman like this.
  4. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    We've chatted before about this a bit on the verdine. I've been pretty convinced on the verdine but wanted to be 100%. Now the color choice is the next question, dark lake placid blue, black pearl or silver burst...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    gustobassman likes this.
  5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've been hitting that Metro Express pretty hard recently. Definitely a different vibe from my single coil equipped NYC's, which I still like better, but it's just great to have a "utilitarian" Sadowsky... super light weight, no hum/buzz, don't worry quite as much about loss/damage risk at shows (though I always generally keep my stuff pretty pristine anyway). Plus the color looks great under lights. That said, I don't really feel it's an accurate ice blue... it's really more of a periwinkle color (which doesn't bother me at all... in fact, i kinda' like how it's different than about any other color in its class that i've seen).

craigb43, R&B, GRoberts and 7 others like this.
  6. mmbass21

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    Anyone here see the silver burst as satin in person?

TolerancEJ likes this.
  7. Do you mean the Inca Silver Satin Modern 5? I played it when I visited in November. I spent almost hour in the bass room.

It balanced very well and I didn't find it heavy. It sounded great, even though I requested headphones to test it. I had gone there with the intention of comparing Satin Series Modern 5/24 vs Vintage 5/21 in my hands. I came away leaning a little more toward the Modern, but that's definitely not a knock on the Vintage model at all.
    [​IMG]

8. mmbass21

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    Not the Inca silver. There's a silver burst option for the satins. I'm thinking this would look cool on the verdine's with no pickguard. silver-burst.

9. Ah, ok. No problem then.

mmbass21 and kobass like this.
  10. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    My new build is "similar" but not quite. I had an idea and after some begging, pleading, and a lousy attempt at bribery - Lisa went for it.

Narrator: Bull**** - Lisa was very accommodating and down for it.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

mmbass21 and kobass like this.
  11. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    What if you swapped to single coils in the express? Seems like an easy upgrade. Did you opt for maple FB on your Metro Express?

12. bgmttt

bgmttt

Feb 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Cheers guys, need your help:
    I have these installed on my 2001 NYC Standard:
    65242455_350460968984305_7148984037833441280_n. 65391097_2354764218070465_197234342865403904_n. 65284568_831682713876341_73224914609373184_n.

They don't have any logo on them.
    I'm pretty sure they are Nordstrands, but can anyone confirm that these pickups are original for my bass.

Thanks and best wishes!

13. craigb43

craigb43

Nov 20, 2007
    Oregon
    I am really loving my Metro Express ash maple 4 as well for many of the same reasons , its a Sadowsky all the way , I still have one of my NYC Sadowskys , my trusty Ultra Vintage Alder Brazilian Rosewood P Bass , I love that one too but the Metro Express has been getting out allot these days , fun great sounding quality bass .

soflbass and deepestend like this.
  14. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Not Nordstrand’s. Look more like the Duncans.

15. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    FWIW, they don't look like the Duncan singles in both my NYCs, which are wrapped up like xmas presents with shielding tape (which i'm a big fan of).

16. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    I just went through this with a WL5 about 18 months ago. The Nordy’s had all the copper shielding and the SD’s had this vintage raw look.

BTW, I deleted my question. Pretty obviously single coils, once you actually look at the pics LOL.

17. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    After feedback from many players, we stopped shielding the coils on the true "single coil" J pickups as it was suppressing some of the tone we want from singles. The pole pieces and the pickup cavity are still shielded.

Roger

18. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    That’s interesting, Roger. I just went through a learning experience with Carey’s Zen Blades pickups in another bass; which pickups sound absolutely amazing, but absolutely require full shielding in the pickup cavities. Different deal, since they are sidewinders, but made me appreciate the influence that the shielding can have on the actual sound of the pickups beyond noise issues.

BTW, bet those Zen Blades would sound fab in one of your basses!

19. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    Only talking about true single coils here. All of our other pickups are fully shielded in every way possible.

Roger

Joeykun, soflbass, GregC and 5 others like this.
  20. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Absolutely. I was only reflecting on my own learning experience that the shielding affects not only noise issues, but tone as well. Depends on how the pickups were “designed.”

As you are well aware, the single coils were “designed” with only the brass ground plate, or base ground plane, depending; and so it makes sense that’s how they sound best.