1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Club Sandberg (part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Obrad Lacarac

Obrad Lacarac

Feb 22, 2011
    EU wanna be
    Did You waited until Your post is round at number 2000 and last on page 100 ?:):):)

Wisebass, elpanadero and Cuzzie like this.
  2. Hahaha no, I only wish I paid sufficient attention to details like that. But now that you mention it, I'm sure it's a sign of something. Maybe even something good. :)

Obrad Lacarac, BassmanM and Jughead6 like this.
  3. Quick - go and buy a lottery ticket!:hyper:

Wisebass and Obrad Lacarac like this.
  4. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA

elpanadero and Obrad Lacarac like this.
  5. Shlabotnik

Shlabotnik Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2019
    NH
    Curious... has anyone compared the VM4 to the VM2 (did it used to be called the TM2?) side-by-side? I don't see a lot about the VM2 (TM2?) but I'm intrigued as to the difference in tone between having that second humbucker in the VM2 and the P-style split coil in the VM4. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  6. Thanks!

Tonight was the first time I played it with the band — mostly bluesrock, with drums, guitar and keys — and I still love it. I mostly used the P pickup in passive to start with, and that already gave a ton of very nice sounds.

I do have to say it took me a while to adjust my amp and preamp (VTBD), but I suppose that was mostly due to the switch from Musicman to what is in essence a Precision on steroids (or at least that’s how I intend to use it mostly). Because most of my eq was set to dial back the MM “bite” a bit, my new Sandberg started out a bit too muddy, but with some adjustments I’m getting there. If any of you have any tips in this regard, I’d be very interested to hear them.

Thanks!

7. My Sandberg TM4 is my No. 1, but I also routinely gig with a Stingray Special 5H. Both are setup with flatwounds.

I usually have flat EQ on my amp (Fender Rumble 500) with may be a little adjustment here and there to suit the room. On my Berg, I alternate between 100% front pickup and 30% front + 70% bridge depending on whether the song demands old school thump or funky bite. I usually run in passive mode, with volume at 100%. I have the treble and bass set to give a bit of scoop so that I can switch to active mode and get a different tone for funk songs.

My SR5 is a different beast. It's not as versatile, but is much more punchy and I prefer to use it for certain songs, including funk and hard rock. I tend to run in series (non-filter) mode with a fair bit of mid scoop.

Not sure if that helps :).

elpanadero and Obrad Lacarac like this.
  8. Well, it seems like we have similar preferences... :) Also flats on both, and (so far) have used passive mostly. And yes, it helps, some good suggestions that I’ll definitely try out, thanks!

Jughead6 likes this.
  9. bassanomaly

bassanomaly Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Maryland, USA
    Hello Sandberg club. I am comparing a TM5 with a MarloweDK 5 string. I typically like passive basses but the TM5 gives me the option of active as well, if ever needed. I'd probably mostly play it passive Anyone have any thoughts about the differences between the two?

10. Not quite answering your question. I own TM4 fretted and fretless basses, and have played the MarloweDK 4 string. Hardly a scientific analysis, but I find the TM4 is much more versatile. They are both fine basses, though. Try both if you can.

11. delucajohn2000

delucajohn2000 Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Mercerville, NJ USA
    If I am not mistaken, the MarloweDK has the pickups in a slightly different spacing so the tone would be a bit different. The TMS5 has the humbucker at the bridge that you can run in single coil mode but I am not quite sure which coil it is. The MarloweDK is harcore aged as well.

12. bassanomaly

Mar 6, 2019
    Maryland, USA
    I ended up going with a non-relic'd TM5. I like the versatility, and I just don't think I can do a hardcore aged bass (can't stand them). So I guess I get to be in the Sandberg club now (after the CITES certificate comes through).

Wisebass and Jughead6 like this.
  13. Yep... CITES can be a downer. But I'm sure your new TM5 will be amazing when it arrives. Until then, can you share some photos for us to drool over?

14. bassanomaly

Mar 6, 2019
    Maryland, USA
    Here she is. Being shipped to me in a few weeks by my main man, the Bass Buddha himself, Morten Ehlers (Aarhus, Denmark).
    Sandberg-TM5-Black-High-Gloss-2.

MuttThud, Wisebass, DJ '65 and 7 others like this.
  15. Shlabotnik

Shlabotnik Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2019
    NH
    Damn, she perty!

16. zmanowsky

zmanowsky

Saturday
    Hi all,
    Talkbass newb here seeking help.
    About to make a jump to a quality instrument, so seeking guidance in choosing between new fender am performer jazz and secondhand sandberg tm4 supreme for est. 200eur less...
    Your thoughts are much appreciated...
    Thx

17. Obrad Lacarac

Obrad Lacarac

Feb 22, 2011
    EU wanna be
    I'm sure you'd get different answers in Fender's Club than here :)

18. zmanowsky

zmanowsky

Saturday
    I know
    That's why I'm asking here... People who actually play Sandbergs... not just GAS like me...
    Tried multiple Fenders, but no Sandberg yet, so no point of reference apart from various videos online which left me longing for that tone...

19. Obrad Lacarac

Obrad Lacarac

Feb 22, 2011
    EU wanna be
    You should try a Sandberg first. It's a totally different animal - geometry, weight, feel, neck, sound, everything. I'm sure everybody here would agree that craftsmanship is on much higher level than Fender (and I played different Fenders for years, currently own both). They can be compared only to Fender masterbuilt by my opinion.
    My experience is that Sandberg is more versatile and usable because of the many more combinations that are offered (regarding again to my setlist which is very different from song to song)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019 at 11:58 AM
    Wisebass and Jughead6 like this.
  20. I have bought and sold a lot of Fender basses. Precision, Jazz, Mustang. MIM, MIA, MIJ. Personally, I think Mexican-made Fenders are better value than the Amercian-made ones. But if I was ever going to own another Fender it would be a Japanese-made one. Since finding Sandberg basses, I now own zero Fender bass guitars.

I have to agree with Obrad... the quality that Sandberg produces, especially given the features that you get, are only comparable to Fender Custom Shop.

You should try before you buy. The Sandberg fretboard radius is quite flat, and may not be your thing.

Obrad Lacarac and Wisebass like this.