1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Club Sandberg (part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Dumoulin

Dumoulin

Apr 13, 2014
    Belgium
    I'm joining the club with this new Masterpiece TM4 :

Capturfe.JPG

It is not my first Sandberg but this one is definitely a keeper. Really amazing.

I may be wrong, but if I recall correctly, Sandberg basses used to be shipped with 045-105 strings in the past, and they are now shipped with a lighter 040-100 gauge. So it depends on how old your bass is. Personally, I never liked Sandberg factory strings, especially when old and worn. For my recently acquired TM4, I did some string tests and I'm now set on GHS Boomers 045-105. DR Sunbeams were nice but a bit too polite for my taste.

2. thawkeyes

thawkeyes

Mar 20, 2009

THAT, my friend, is a true gem. What strings did you end up going with?

3. Obrad Lacarac

Obrad Lacarac

Feb 22, 2011
    EU wanna be
    Dumoulin said:
    It is not my first Sandberg but this one is definitely a keeper. Really amazing.

Niiiiiiiceeeee

DJ '65 likes this.
  4. AJBass-85

AJBass-85

Jan 7, 2017
    Italy
    PaulS, BrentSimons, DJ '65 and 2 others like this.
  5. AJBass-85

AJBass-85

Jan 7, 2017
    Italy
    My baby is here! I love it! Is there such a thing as a Club Sandberg number? If so, I'd like to get one :)

6. AJBass-85

AJBass-85

Jan 7, 2017
    Italy
    Yes :) I used the configurator and then ordered it through Bass Direct. It was really worth the wait

7. Shlabotnik

Shlabotnik Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2019
    NH
    Congratulations! Enjoy it!!
    How long did you have to wait after placing the order?

8. AJBass-85

AJBass-85

Jan 7, 2017
    Italy
    I ordered it at the beginning of October, 2019. I was actually going for a TM, and it was due in March, but then I saw the TT and went for it. Fun fact: the day I received the bass, Bass Direct received my custom order xD so it was basically a 4-month wait. Totally worth it anyway! I had sold my Sire V7, so I'm ok with the jazz configuration. :)

9. Shlabotnik

Shlabotnik Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2019
    NH
    That's not bad for a custom order! So maybe i'll get mine sometime in early April. Yeah, I don't think you could have gone wrong with either model. Have a blast!

AJBass-85 likes this.
  10. Hi all,
    I just put down a deposit the other day for a Sandberg Lionel short scale from Chicago Music Exchange. The configurator doesn't have the Lionel on it yet but I used the California VS4 configurator so they could place the order. I was told it would take around 4 months.

Specs:
    Natural matte finish - Ash
    Ebony fretboard with Abalone inlays
    Black hardware

qjWUAya.png

11. We expect you to file a full report in about 4 months!

TK4261 likes this.
  12. For sure! Lots of pics and I'll make a video :cool:

Jughead6 likes this.
  13. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    Hello all you Sandberg owners!

Something I wrote in another thread last week made me wonder about something...

It was about my custom order California VS. Passive only, Kloppmann PB63 ('63 P-bass) pickup.

The thing is, I absolutely love the excellent craftsmanship on Sandberg basses. I really like the neck profile too. But I personally don't like the bright sound they're going for with their stock electronics/pickups (or with the common Delano varieties they often seem to use).

What I wanted was the Sandberg "feel" and quality but with a vintage P-bass sound. I figured this would be pretty obvious when I specified Kloppmann '63 pickups. Apparantly not, because Sandberg equipped the bass with 500k pots. It sounded so bad out of the box that I hardly played it before I had it on my bench to find out what was wrong. I suspected they had used a very low value tone cap because I honestly couldn't even consider the idea that anyone would stick 500k pots into a bass that was essentially a vintage style Precision (at least electronically).

I know a lot of people like bright sounding basses but a P-bass with 500k pots isn't THAT kind of bright. It's just harsh, brittle, nasty IMO. It's such a poor choice for a vintage style P-bass pickup that I gotta ask the Sandberg community:

Has anyone experience the same? 500k pots in a passive P-style Sandberg with vintage voiced pickup? Is this actually a deliberate choice from Sandberg? Or is it possible that they simply made a mistake on my bass?

It was a quick&easy fix to replace the pots with 250k (I also changed the tone cap from 047 to 068 for a slightly fatter vintage'ish sound) but I must admit that I'm a bit disappointed to find something like this in a custom order bass in this price range.

Or do some people actually prefer the sound of vintage P-bass pickups with 500k pots???o_O

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 5:25 AM
  14. Boomer1965

Boomer1965

Oct 12, 2018
    Ely, UK
    I am new the Sandberg club with my California TT4 passive. It plays like honey. I have also just bought a Fender Rumble Stage 800 and the output is really low from the Sandberg compared to my 9v Stingray. I know the Ray is hot, but the volume difference is huge and makes the Stage 800 sound nothing like 400 watts. I can fortunately model in a pre amp/eq but it still seems a massive difference.

Attached Files:

15. a-37

a-37

Apr 23, 2015
    Helsinki
    I hope you got it already but just in case... This post might help: Sandberg bridge setup manual?

16. Have you tried adjusting the pickup height? IME Sandberg factory set-up includes setting up their basses with the pickups pretty low (i.e. far from the strings).

17. BTW....Nice TT...!

18. Everyone has different tastes (I prefer the clarity of Delano's) and it is impossible for Sandberg to imagine what style of music each custom order will be used for.

I would suggest that Sandberg typically caters to a market looking for more modern sounding instruments. So, I don't think you can really fault Sandberg unless you had explicitly specified a 250kOhm tone potentiometer and 0.068uF capacitor (i.e. a very bassy, darker sound, almost the opposite of modern) in your original custom order.

19. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    @Dumoulin Welcome to the Sandberg Club! Your number is #159 :)