1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Club Sandberg (part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Benko

Benko

Dec 16, 2014
    Tokyo, Japan
    Indeed, I would not qualify my VM as vintage, though...passive mode, full on the reverse split-coil, it can get you there, but yep my set up if more hi-fi a tad dark sounding

kasbrey likes this.
  2. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    I don't have an Ash Sandberg but have owned other brands and find that they vary too much to generalise.

APGP likes this.
  3. Benko

Benko

Dec 16, 2014
    Tokyo, Japan
    It resonates

Yes it’s probably your impression.

APGP likes this.
  4. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    I like a reverse-P neck pickup and wanted to try a MM style in the bridge to provide more meat to the tone than a J pickup so the Sandberg California II VM5 caught my attention. They come plekked with a zero fret, deep neck pocket with a 6-bolt pattern, solid hardware, Sandberg pickups with those large 9mm poles, and a 2-band pre with active/passive switch. I was considering a custom order but found a nice VM5 for a reasonable price on the Thomann website.
    https://www.thomannmusic.com/search_dir.html?sw=sandberg+california+II+vm5&smcs=ad3d12_1792
    I listened to every demo video I could find and decided on an ash body. They had one with a rosewood board which meant CITES import rules. I placed my order on May 7 with Paypal which did the transaction in euros. Thomann handled the export certificate and CITES license and the order shipped via UPS June 7, sooner than expected. After a couple clearance checks it arrived in the United States June 10 and was held at customs and I received notice to pay the import duties of $85.91. I paid the duties and it was released and delivered June 12.
    Sandberg%20VM5%20Delivery_zpsh5coxctd.
    The bass came with a gig bag and was double boxed:
    Sandberg%20Packing%20Box_zpshfiel2n7.
    Sandberg%20Inner%20Box_zpsv35xub8b.
    Sandberg%20Gig%20Bag_zps0k1iffcl.
    Here are some pictures of the bass provided by Thomann:
    Sandberg%20VM5%20BodyFront_zps1hnv0ac2.
    Sandberg%20VM5%20BodyBack_zpsqeydiazx.
    Sandberg%20VM5%20Front_zpsbcofbxea.
    This VM5 has 18 mm string spacing, 1.75" nut, and with a fairly compact body weighs 9.6 lbs. European ash is a bit more dense than swamp ash. The upper horn comes to the 12th fret and provides excellent balance. Set up and intonation were spot on. All I had to do was tune up and play. This bass is just what I hoped it would be. The low end is solid and focused with good pitch definition. To have a 34" scale and a B-string like this is incredible! Both pickups sound great but the sweet spot is biased about 1/8 turn off center in either direction. There are no dead spots and the string to balance is very good. Active and passive modes with pickup balance provide a wide range of useful tones but this is the best 2-band preamp I've heard. It really seems to bring this bass to life. The bass pot taper is gradual to provide good control and increasing the bass makes it more solid and bigger without becoming bloated or too round. That hard ash body seems to help the notes pop while the rosewood board softens the treble and there is very little fret noise. I took a chance on the ash/rosewood pairing but it works well for this instrument. It is smooth but with enough mids for a nice balance. The passive tone is very good but I usually run active with bass and treble slightly boosted. This is a well-playing instrument which sits great in the mix. Very pleased with this purchase!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Wisebass, kasroc, TB24 and 7 others like this.
  5. FacStudio

FacStudio Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2016
    Worcester, UK
    @5StringPocket that’s a lovely looking bass. Congrats on taking the plunge!

Cuzzie likes this.
  6. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Yep - Sandberg knock it out the park again

7. FacStudio

Sep 16, 2016
    Worcester, UK
    Love that grain on the VM5. That’s a nice looking piece of wood.

Cuzzie likes this.
  8. DJ '65

DJ '65

Oct 16, 2015
    Sweet new bass, you just gotta love that lump of wood!

FacStudio and Cuzzie like this.
  9. Voci

Voci

Oct 19, 2014
    This arrived. VS4 Masterpiece. First play today. It’s marvellous.

DB7BC31E-8603-4F28-A09C-3D750C4B01D5.

Cuzzie, kasbrey, kasroc and 1 other person like this.
  10. DJ '65

DJ '65

Oct 16, 2015
    Congrats, I’ve yet to see a badly aged Sandberg... enjoy the bass.

Voci likes this.
  11. FacStudio

Sep 16, 2016
    Worcester, UK
    Congrats @Voci . That’s the Masterpiece from Bass Direct. I played it when I purchased the TT4 Masterpiece a few weeks ago. Nice bass and not too heavy. They waited well over a year for the 2 Masterpieces and it looks like we’re the lucky ones!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  12. Voci

Voci

Oct 19, 2014
    Thanks. Yes, it’s light, nearly as light as my Dingwall Super P/J 4. Your TT4 looks great too. I may have to order one!

13. FacStudio

Sep 16, 2016
    Worcester, UK
    @Voci The TT4 is excellent. At first I wasn’t sure but then it just sang to me and I cannot put it down. It’s so easy to play, the neck feels great and I have a low action making it effortless to play. I’m particularly impressed with the Sandberg Black Label J/J pups. A splendid passive jazz! My outgoing TSBS was great, but this is in a league of its own.

Voci and kasbrey like this.
  14. Mammoth_Bass

Mammoth_Bass Check out my band Mammothor!! Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Sandown, NH
    Hi everyone I have always had an eye for Sandberg’s and finally have the opportunity to get one. There is one listed in my local craigslist that I am working out a deal on as we speak. It is a VM for in natural with a maple board. I really like the look I would much prefer a black pick guard over the white pearl. Anyone know where I could get a black pick guard? I will be going through the club page is when I get home from work tonight to do some more research before making i hi everyone I have always had an eye for Sandberg’s and finally have the opportunity to get one. There is one listed in my local craigslist that I am working out a deal on as we speak. It is a VM for in natural with a maple board. I really like the look I would much prefer a black pick guard over the white pearl. Anyone know where I could get a black pick guard? I will be going through the club page is when I get home from work tonight to do some more research before making a final decision!

Wisebass likes this.
  15. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    Sandberg California VT und VM Pickguard black - sandberg shop

Make sure you pick the 4 string (V4).

Wisebass and Cuzzie like this.
  16. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space

Hi Mammoth_Bass :)

I ordered mine with a …. black pickguard…(option)

Still have it! That thing never touched my bass! :D

Bad luck! :( My Sandberg is a "Basic" and not a California!

Just contact Sandberg via mail! I am sure they can help you!

(Holger Stonjek is a "long haired beast" who likes to shake the earth! ;))

greeetings

Wise(b)ass

oups!!

I was tooooooo late!!!!! one day! :wacky:

Sandberg California VT und VM Pickguard black - sandberg shop

FacStudio likes this.
  17. Mammoth_Bass

May 2, 2016
    Sandown, NH
    Looks like it will run me $100... not sure I can justify it

18. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    Wow really? Does shipping and taxes take it from $45 to $100 ? :eek:

19. Mammoth_Bass

May 2, 2016
    Sandown, NH
    Yep... hoping someone here might want to sel me theirs or trade?? Hopefully getting the bass this weekend

20. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    $55 for shipping? :speechless: :(!!!

Maybe try a DIY solution? I know you can!!!! :thumbsup:

hooray.

happy weekend!

Wise

Mammoth_Bass likes this.