1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Club Stambaugh - Show your Stammies!! [Part 6]

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Agreed. With this slight difference. My Stambaugh ODB 5 was not the only bass that I gigged with, but it did get the bulk of the workload. When the pressure was on and I couldn't afford to be distracted with worrying about my instrument, the ODB 5 got the call. If and when I start playing out again, this bass will still get the most gig time. Also, he is certainly one of the best builders out there, but sometimes your excellence (and reasonable prices) can lead to you becoming overloaded with work. I wish it wasn't so, but in this case I think it is.

M. M.

kringle77 likes this.
  2. rockosocko

rockosocko

Sep 14, 2008
    I actually complicated with him last week, his site was hacked, and he's in the process of creating a new one.

FretFree and Symphony2040 like this.
  3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
  4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I haven't talked to Chris in a while, but he's never been super involved with his website, he rarely even finds time to update it.

So while he knows he needs a website, for now I think he has plenty of custom builds and Wing Basses to keep him busy. I don't really need any other basses (I have four now, all Stambaughs) but seeing the ones most recently posted here makes me want another anyway.

FretFree likes this.
  5. Nightman

Nightman If it ain't low, it's got to go! Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I wasn’t aware that Chris builds Wing basses.
    I agree that those last two 6’ers make me want more Stambaugh basses just to look at them in my music room......and play them sometimes. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    FretFree likes this.
  6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Honestly, I don't think he really needs anything more than what he has on his current "under construction" page beyond making it look prettier. A domain name that resolves to a real page and contact info is probably plenty, maybe a one-paragraph mission statement and a link to your unofficial gallery if he wanted to be fancy.

A site with a million nooks and crannies gets dated looking real fast.

Nightman and emjazz like this.
  7. I'm finding that I'm sad that my bass has dropped to page two on the gallery... maybe I should rectify that by ordering another! :)

8. rockosocko

rockosocko

Sep 14, 2008
    Overall, I'm happy with the bass, but there were a couple of issues:
    • He had installed the wrong preamp, which I caught when I saw the switch was missing in a photo he sent me. He took care of it, but I now had to wait another two weeks for the bass.
    • The inlays were supposed to be abalone, they are not.
    • He didn't install strap locks on the bass. Every bass I ever ordered from him had strap locks and I do recall them being a standard feature. Yes, this is a small detail, but after a three year wait, it shouldn't have been overlooked.

Nightman and FretFree like this.
  9. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    More than often, these one-man shops could benefit from another in-shop pair of eyes to check for those details.

10. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Do it!! :thumbsup:

FretFree likes this.
  11. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    That is stunning. Maybe worth the hassle? Wow.

12. rockosocko

rockosocko

Sep 14, 2008
    Not entirely. In the end, I didn't get what I wanted, which were the abalone inlays. Because I went through such a hassle getting it, I chose to live with it rather than risk waiting even longer to have it corrected.

13. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    That is a beautiful instrument! I had some similar experiences. In the end I got what I wanted but, I had to keep an eye on the details. I still consider Chris to be the best.

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    I think every one of my basses had a detail that wasn't what I expected. Something big like abalone inlays or not is a gigantic bummer, though, even though they're GORGEOUS.

I don't know...I know some of us are always excusing these kinds of things with Chris, but at the end of the day it still sucks and shouldn't happen. For me, I'm just bummed when someone gets an instrument from him and has a bad taste in their mouth, because I've been completely over the moon with all of mine (unexpected details and all) and wish everyone could have that same feeling. He's so talented and does such good work, the basses are so good, but all the other stuff is what's keeps him in the "one-man shop with devoted fans" tier and not the "world renowned master luthier" tier. I have enough of a relationship with him, his process, and the end result that I'll keep going to him, but I totally get why someone else wouldn't.

I thought I heard he had someone like that for a while, but I can't imagine he has enough margin in his builds as-is to keep such a person on payroll long-term. At this point I don't know whether the cost/benefit of raising prices to employ a shop manager would be worth it to him in the end.

Nightman likes this.
  15. rockosocko

rockosocko

Sep 14, 2008
    I have to disagree. The missing strap locks aren't a gigantic bummer, I can install those myself for $20.00. However, the abalone inlays are most certainly a big deal. As you can see in the picture of my bass, we are not talking about dots, but a big part of the overall design of the bass. It was something I wanted for a long time and was the reason why I specifically chose Chris to build the bass. Furthermore, that is what I paid for, and when you are spending hundreds of dollars on something like that, you should get what you paid for. Once again, the decision to live with that is on me. Faced with the possibility of having to wait months more for the bass, I was left with very little choice.

Symphony2040 likes this.
  16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    I said it *was* a gigantic bummer. That's a big deal and it's really crappy you didn't get what you wanted, especially considering how delayed it was. (Even though what you got is still really pretty.)

17. rockosocko

rockosocko

Sep 14, 2008
    Sorry Jason, I misread it. I've got to stop buying basses and invest the money in a better set of glasses.

FretFree and Hotblack like this.
  18. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    To me there is simply no excuse for mistakes like that for any builder. I don't understand how anyone couldn't do better and keep up with a process that would check off all options a customer wants.

19. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    Did you ask him to refund the cash you paid for the blocks? That would be the fair thing for him to do considering the situation.

FretFree likes this.
  20. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

Just got my first 5 string, and it happens to be a Stambaugh. The neck is gorgeous, and plays like it was made for me. Easiest 5'er I've ever laid my hands on.

Nightman likes this.