1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Club Trickfish!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jun 10, 2018.

1. BostonJazz72

BostonJazz72 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Chicago
    Very happy with what Saint Nick brought me this year! Looking forward to that 2x8!
    95280231-1592-4255-BDCB-58B4EC390011.

5StringPocket and Scarysharkface like this.
  2. adambarringer

adambarringer

Jan 14, 2014
    I play in stereo using two matching bass amps and have always had to spend quite a bit of time playing around with the controls to dial in a tone I was completely happy with for any particular room I’ve been performing in. This past October, the bass/drums duo I’m in had a gig in Amsterdam - I had an issue crop up with one of my heads so I needed to borrow a second amp and got to play through a Trickfish Bullhead .5K for the first time.

Through the Trickfish and with everything set flat at 12 o’clock my bass sounded great right off the bat - during soundcheck I spent maybe 20 minutes or so fiddling about with the low mid, hi mid, treble, bass and various frequency controls and settled with the mids set between 1 and 2 o’clock leaving the bass and treble flat. The vast dynamic volume range of our music means I ended up having the gain set at around 10 o’clock and master at about 2 o’clock.

I got a huge amount of presence during the performance and the amp never sounded like it was being pushed. It handled everything I threw at it with ease... and at one point during our set I play a cluster of open low B/5th/octave notes hit with a hell of a lot of attack through a delay pedal and a Darkglass Alpha Omega - the headroom was just massive.

I had been considering upgrading my amps for a while so when I got home, I visited a few music stores and tried out a variety of high end brands to be sure.

We all know there are plenty of amazing amp builders out there nowadays but for me, the Trickfish equipment I’d played had set the bar. In the end I sold my rig and replaced it with two Trickfish Bullhead 1Ks and two TF112 cabs.

This equipment is incredible. Simply incredible. Having spent a fair bit of time with it now, I’ve found that I don't need to change the controls all that much to get a pretty extreme change in tone so I’ve been able to dial in many different sounds covering many different genres. I really have been completely blown away by the ultra clean voicing of these heads - they enable me to hear the natural sound of my bass and even with a completely flat EQ, there is warmth and clear articulate definition.

The low B on my 6 string is handled very well - the bottom end is humungous and the head delivers tremendous power without any hitches or unwanted/unexpected distortion in my signal while the high C is tight, concise and reactive. While my use of the DI out has been somewhat limited so far, it is, unsurprisingly, very uncoloured.

The controls are beautifully laid out as well - easy to read and intuitive to use. And while this might not be all that important to a lot of people, the Trickfish heads/cabs look really great too - those bright blue lights look very cool on stage while also making it super easy to make quick alterations on the fly.

Other things that have been bonus plus points for me is not having a fan built into the head and having a 1/4-inch output available for monitoring. I also use a laptop/interface that goes into the PA when playing live so having the 1/8-inch input enabling use of my iPhone instead is a really nice option too.

Trickfish have taken up the baton and run off into the distance with it - I feel like Trickfish are now the gold standard. And what better endorsement can you get than Fodera running a Trickfish head and cab in their testing room? For me, this further illustrates just how high a regard these amps are held within the bass community.

Finally an enormous shout out to the awesome folks who make up the Trickfish team - they’re conscientious, professional, inventive, passionate, friendly, meticulous, sincere and they have consistently demonstrated their incredibly deep level of knowledge and expertise. Second to none. An absolutely amazing company run by amazing people who are building amazing equipment.

3. rodsnhawgs

rodsnhawgs Custom builder. G-ratio basses Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    U.S., WV
    I'm in with a B1K head. Had it several months now and love it. Prior "main" head was a GK1000RB (which I love except the weight). The B1K is every bit the head the GK is PLUS it's not as "edgy" if that makes any sense...

Typically paired with an Aggie GS112 and SL112 in combo, I'm wanting to test the waters with a TF cab. Question: Is the TF simply a renamed SM or are these actually two different animals? Thx.

Side note, I build my own basses and use Pope preamps...the TF head, as suspected, makes for a perfect marriage.

adambarringer likes this.
  4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've been wondering that as well. The name change seemed to happen about the time they stopped offering grill cloth as an option in favor of metal grills. As far as I can tell they're identical otherwise. I bought mine as SM cabinets and the invoice arrived stating TF, so...

5. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    I'm wondering the difference between the 500 watt and the 1000 watt version. The thing that's appealing to me about the 1000 what version is that it has the proprietary power module that contributes a lot to the heft of the note, the way I understand it almost acts like a capacitor. Not sure if this is an accurate description, but I have been in the room with one and the sound is truly amazing. Every note is even from top to bottom. The 500 watt is an ice module power section, correct? Is it possible for it to have the same feel as the 1000 watt version?

6. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    1,000 watt is Pascal, 500 watt is ICE. According to Trickfish the B1K stays cleaner when pushed than the B.5K. I've not used the B.5K, but can confirm that my B1K stays squeaky clean regardless of how hard you're pushing it, unless you overdrive the front end (and even then it hasn't given me any nasty distortion on overs). Despite how clean it is, it does not feel cold or sterile due to what I perceive to be a gentle roll-off in the upper frequency range of the amp. It's a REALLY nice sounding amp at all volumes.

adambarringer and sonicyogi like this.
  7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Here are the peak output numbers:

Bullhead .5K:
    506 watts @ 8 ohms
    702 watts @ 4 ohms

Bullhead 1K:
    1000 watts @ 8 ohms (4 ohm spec not on website)

8. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    thanks for the info. doesnt really answer my question though... i read somewhere that there is something different about how the 1000 watt version functions compared to the 500 watt. im not referring to volume or distortion. there's a fundamental difference in how they work, something proprietary about the 1000 version, unless im misremembering an making this all up. i can say from experience that the 1000 watt version is extremely impressive. im just wondering if the 500 watt version has the same quality (not volume, not distortion)

9. Quadzilla

Wish I could tell you as I have only owned the .5K, but having said that, I've owned many high-wattage amps and my 5K with a 4 ohm cab (producing 700 watts) is no slouch. I get PLENTY of clean volume out of it. I use it with a PJB C8 (Piranha, ceramic magnets). The two pair EXTREMELY well together!

10. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Read my post above. That's all there is to it. It's a different power amp module and implementation that results in a tone that stays cleaner at higher levels of output than the lower rated version.

11. Quadzilla

Correct. As I recall, the main difference is the power output. My understanding is the preamp is the same. Oh, there is one less speakon (speaker) output on the back (which wasn't a deal-breaker for me).

12. Sodbuster

Sodbuster Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2015
    The Frozen Tundra
    Here is my current rig. Bullhead .5K and Revsound RS212XT. I am contemplating one or two Trickfish cabs. I believe a TF208 is in the works. The Revsound sounds great but I would like a punchier alternative. Love the B.5K! 20190108_130450.

13. 5string_phunk

5string_phunk Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Greetings All!!

Anyone using a Bullhead .5k with a Barefaced Big Twin II? Thoughts? Experiences?

This combo definitely has me intrigued!

I’ve been using my GK MB500 Fusion > DNA 2x10 for the past 4 yrs. Both have been great, but also seen their better days. The GK is starting to sound a bit too trebly/thin and thin in the upper register to my ears and I’ve been pushing my 2x10 pretty hard with my main band, so I need a cab that offers a bit more.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  14. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've not, but given my experience with Trickfish and BarefacedI have to imagine that combination would absolutely slam. Definitely consider pairing with a Trickfish cab as well. They're not quite as light as the Barefaced stuff, but they definitely hammer! Honestly, you can't really go wrong with either :p

5string_phunk likes this.
  15. 5string_phunk

5string_phunk Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I figured it’d be a killer combo, but not tried either at the moment.

The BH.5k seems like a stellar head all around! I’m a huge fan of Mike Pope, so if his name is on it, I know it’s great.

I’ve looked into the TF cabs, but the crossover on the Barefaced is really something I didn’t know I wanted/needed, until I realized how it worked.

Fortunately, there is a guy in town with a BTII, so I’m gonna make plans to check it out soon!

...just have to pay of my Valenti build before I can get serious about looking for a new rig!

Low84 likes this.
  16. adambarringer

adambarringer

Jan 14, 2014
    I used to have two Aguilar SL112s and have switched up to two Trickfish TF112s. The SL112 weighs in at 25 lbs and the TF112 is 36 lbs. While the TF112s are a bit heavier, I think the increased power handling, cleaner sound and better design more than makes up for the lighter weight. And because of the way they have designed the TF112 (with the handle situated on the top of the cabinet), the 11 lbs increase doesn't make much of a difference anyway - you can still pick it up easily with one hand. I really think Trickfish have absolutely nailed it with the TF112s.

Spaceman Ian likes this.
  17. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Great feature set and the EQ points are spot on. Since the B1K is a clean machine it might work well with a good compressor like the Empress or Omnifx Smoothie to change the feel and add some harmonic richness. Anyone tried this?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    jeff7bass and adambarringer like this.
  18. adambarringer

adambarringer

Jan 14, 2014
    I used an MXR M87 with my Aguilar kit but sold it because I didn't feel it added anything much to my Trickfish rig. The low/hi mid options and frequency selectors on the .5K and 1K are so useable and easy to dial in that you have that harmonic richness in abundance.

5StringPocket likes this.
  19. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I’ve used mine with a Cali76 Compact Bass, and a Diamond BCP-1. While these are great compressors that I enjoy using, the B1K definitely doesn’t need any help to sound fantastic.

5StringPocket likes this.
  20. deka

deka

Jan 9, 2019
    Oakland, CA
    Hi all -- first post to TalkBass here. Was hoping to get some help from the Trickfish cognoscenti. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a standalone TF cab, but I'm not sure which would be the best choice (and sadly, there doesn't seem to be a way for me to play through any of them beforehand).

The bands I play in are mostly in the roots rock/Americana genre -- if I had to compare, I'd say Neil Young is a good starting point, with other songs being more Rolling Stones-ish -- but nothing heavier than that. I also sometimes sit in with a singer/songwriter who has kind of a Muscle Shoals/R&B kind of vibe.

Since the stages are mostly small, I've been leaning toward the TF408 (which just seems like such a cool design!), but The TF210v appeals to me as well, and now I see the TF212v is available with the same footprint as the 2x10. FWIW, my current stage amp is a TC Electronics BH800 -- but I expect I'll be updating that by the end of the year as well.

Thanks for any wisdom you can lay on me! I look forward to becoming a member in good standing of the Trickfish club soon!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Sodbuster and wellso74 like this.