1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Club Trickfish!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jun 10, 2018.

1. deka

deka

Jan 9, 2019
    Oakland, CA
    Man, you guys were no help at all. Guess I have to go it alone. ;-)

shipped.

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Since Trickfish has a free return policy you'll be covered regardless.

In response to your original question, I've only ever used their TF112 cabs (usually a pair of them, but have gotten by just fine with a single on small stages), and they're great for everything I do which happens to include the types of tunes you listed. I'm sure their more vintage voiced cabinets would be great as well, but the lower weight of the TF cabs won the comparison for me.

Scarysharkface likes this.
  3. deka

deka

Jan 9, 2019
    Oakland, CA
    That's a good point -- though from everything I'm reading, I'm anticipating that I won't need to exercise it. I haven't personally come across info regarding certain TF cabs being particularly "vintage-voiced." I wound up choosing the TF408, which seems to get rave reviews. And I love the form factor.

4. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Their TF cabs in general aren’t vintage voiced, but in conversations the 8 and 10 inch cabs with ceramic drivers appeared to be aimed at a more vintage tone goal than the neo 12 cabs.

deka likes this.
  5. adambarringer

adambarringer

Jan 14, 2014
    I definitely wouldn't say any of the Trickfish equipment I have has a vintage tone. I think it's ultra, ultra clean myself. It really enables you to hear the sound of your bass and you can do whatever you want using pedals, etc. beforehand.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  6. Instead of a vintage tone, I would describe it much more as accurate. It's like hearing the instrument through a nice stereo. Not boomy or colorful or anything, it sounds like what you're feeding it.

John

adambarringer likes this.
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 Yep. Very accurate, clean, full and balanced, to my ears.

8. adambarringer

adambarringer

Jan 14, 2014
    I can't praise the Trickfish equipment enough frankly. I think the only amplification that is comparable for me is Epifani.

9. maxifunk

maxifunk

Dec 17, 2018
    Anyone using Trickfish with a Boom Bass Cabinet?

10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Not here but I'm using my Trickfish head with a Phil Jones C8 (5x8) piranha cab. The two pair up wonderfully. Balanced, clear, loud. Tight bottom and penetrating (but smooth) highs! Amazing pairing and tone!

11. Quadzilla

Oh and nice, weighty mids too!

12. igrok

igrok Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Philly suburbs
    I liked my TF112 so much I got another. The pair embodies synergism to a level I really wasn’t expecting: the combination is a lot greater than the sum of the individuals. Absolutely brilliant! Smooth and clear and punchy and articulate and everything I want in my rig. I’m in tone heaven.

13. adambarringer

adambarringer

Jan 14, 2014
    What head are you using?

14. igrok

igrok Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Philly suburbs
    I’ve been using a Mesa WD800 and occasionally my trusty old Walkabout. Either of them play beautifully with the TFs.

15. adambarringer

adambarringer

Jan 14, 2014
    Very, very nice too.

I'd really recommend pairing up with either the Bullhead .5K or 1K head. They're beautifully clean and modern sounding. Simply incredible.

16. igrok

igrok Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Philly suburbs
    Well of course I need one of them!

17. 5string_phunk

5string_phunk Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I've wanted to try the TF amps for a long while..so I finally took the plunge and snagged the TF Bullhead .5k off the classifieds!

I'm looking forward to compare/contrast from the TF and the GK MB500 Fusion I've been using the past 4-ish years!

Sodbuster and tombowlus like this.
  18. Quadzilla

Just my humble opinion, the TF is best sounding head out there, if clean, musical and punchy is your thing.

19. 5string_phunk

5string_phunk Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    That’s good to hear, because clean, musical and punchy is exactly my thing!!

20. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    The top end is what separates TF from basically everyone else as far as I’m concerned. Nothing I’ve ever owned or played has had such a musical top end. I like a tone that’s bright, but not harsh. I don’t know how they do it or what’s done differently, but nothing sounds like TF does up top.