1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Club Trickfish!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jun 10, 2018.

1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    ^ That used to be how I described the high end on the Tecamp Puma, back when I played one. I know you did too Silky, how would you compare the TF to the Puma?

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I had an old Powersoft version of the Puma1000, which to me sounded basically like a Euphonic Audio iAmp Pro or the old old old SWR amps. In other words, extremely limited high and low pass filtering. They sounded fantastic. Tecamp switched them out for an ICE module in place of the Powersoft ones. When my original amp was stolen my insurance company replaced it, but all that was available was an ICE version (contrary to what the retailer told me when I purchased it). The ICE version was much tighter down low, but just as extended up high due to the limited low pass filtering. Back then I thought they were the greatest sounding amps ever, even if I did prefer the older Powersoft version. In comparison I now have learned that the uber wide frequency response is actually a bad thing. When I listen to recordings of myself from that era it’s just too much in both directions. Nothing sounded better for bedroom tone though. My Bullhead 1K has just enough of everything and subtle shaping to remove what’s not needed (gentle slope up top, a bit of a dip in the mids right where the body of an electric guitar resides, high pass filtering right in the meat of a kick drum and no filtering just above it to slot into a mix perfectly).

I struggle to find things I don’t like about the amp.

Scarysharkface and J.Wolf like this.
  3. 5string_phunk

5string_phunk Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    You're making me glad that I pulled the trigger on the TF this morning!! Sounds like it delivers all the aspects of my GK that I love, while at the same time improving/correcting all the things I don't like about my GK!

adambarringer likes this.
  4. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Hey folks,

Is anyone here rocking a Trilobite? I'm super curious about it, but there's not much in the way of demos out there right now. What I've heard was pretty stellar, but I'd like to hear some impressions from my TB comrades. I'm a rock player, but my sound is based on a clean bass tone. Most of the TF stuff I've heard has been super clean, which I really like. I'm sure it plays with dirt pedals pretty well, but I'd love some TB feedback...:thumbsup:

5. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    TF sounds very non-GK. There’s a certain attitude to the upper midrange on GK amps that isn’t there with the TF stuff. Both have their place, but as often as I dig the GK aggression I also find it fatiguing.

6. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Clean, but not clinical. Very warm and balanced. The preamps, which are the same as the Trilobite, play very well with dirt. I’ve used my B1K with a Pike Vulcan, a Creation Audio Labs Grizzly Bass, a Darkglass Microtubes X, and a Strymon Sunset. All work great with the TF. The Sunset is what’s currently on my board.

pbass6811 likes this.
  7. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    That's pretty sweet! I appreciate the feedback. I just had a really nice chat with Ryan! I sent them an email asking a couple of questions, then I went back to doing what I was doing, wasting time on the interwebz, looking at gear, when I should be practicing. I get an email notification, like, 15 minutes later, and when I checked it, it was Ryan! We emailed back and forth a few times over a 45 minute span and he graciously answered my questions. That's a class act in my book!

Long story short, after reading thru this thread and talking to Ryan, I don't feel like I NEED a tube pedal preamp, I just need a good, high quality pedal preamp...maybe one with two channels...and two fx loops, with a clean blend on one of them...that's made in Texas! ;):thumbsup::bassist:

adambarringer likes this.
  8. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I agree about the powersoft puma’s. Probably the best sounding bedroom amp I’ve heard and that usually does not equal a great gigging sound, which was my experience. But I’d love to have one again for home use, and the occasional gig where that tone works.

But, back OT, the trickfish rig I heard that Roscoe brought to the Asheville bass hang sounded incredible. I really liked how warm and musical it sounded. Super present without a trace of harshness, just a great tone profile.

ryanowens likes this.
  9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a Puma 900 and a Bullhead .5k. I have not directly compared them, but my initial thoughts are that the Puma is equally clear, but the Trickfish is less colored and has a bit more air up top. I will try and compare them at practice. :thumbsup:

10. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Well, I'm in the club! Got a Trilobite heading my way! I'll have it for the weekend, so I'll pop back in and give some feedback after this weekend's festivities. Unfortunately, this weekend, we're only playing Saturday night, so it'll just be a seat-of-the-pants opinion, but I'll do my best. I'll try to get some video, too...:thumbsup:

ryanowens and Sodbuster like this.
  11. 5string_phunk

5string_phunk Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I agree that the GK hi-mid aggression can get fatiguing. I typically eq it out as best I can, but it’s pretty ‘baked’ into the natural GK tone.

I’ll always have a GK in the amp arsenal. Just looking for something a little more mellow that still delivers a clean, punchy tone. I’m hoping the TF will deliver!

ryanowens likes this.
  12. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    After talking to Ryan for a bit today, now I'm contemplating a TF408...

I need to stop.

ryanowens, tombowlus and Sodbuster like this.
  13. Sodbuster

Sodbuster Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2015
    The Frozen Tundra
    PM me...

14. Sodbuster

Oct 19, 2015
    The Frozen Tundra
    Pbass, please disregard my last post about pm.

15. maxifunk

maxifunk

Dec 17, 2018
    why this cab over the others?

16. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Well, I'm approaching this from a couple of angles-

1. Smaller cab, smaller footprint=more room on stage.
    2. I'm really trying to lower the stage volume, overall. I'm thinking, that with the dual outputs on the Trilobite, I can run a line directly into my IEMs. That should give me a much better bass sound than what I'm getting now, which should allow me to turn down my rig and force my guitar player to turn down, LOL! If I don't need to play as loud, I can run a smaller, but just as capable cab instead of the monster cabs I'm used to.
    3. This kinda ties into the other ones-If you show up with four 8's, or even eight 8's, no one is gonna flip out, LOL! If you show up with eight 10's, everyone is gonna give you this look----->:eyebrow: and this look---->:rollno:

After talking to Ryan from Trickfish and a couple of reviews here, it seems that a well tuned box with 8's can really project and standout in a crowded mix. It won't have the low end projection of a cab with bigger drivers, but what you lose in low end, you make up in articulation and clarity, plus the PA should be handling the bottom end. I'm very intrigued. I wish there were a few more demos...

17. Sodbuster

Oct 19, 2015
    The Frozen Tundra
    The TF408 sounds fantastic with my Bullhead .5K. It is slightly hefty but is an easy carry. Will definitely cut through a busy mix. IMHO

ryanowens, maxifunk and sonicyogi like this.
  18. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    So, this is what I got, so far...

20190214_230456. 20190214_230423.

I've got no idea what it sounds like at gig volume, but it sounds AB FAB at keep-it-down-because-everyone-else-is-in-bed volume! I'll, most likely, take it to rehearsal tomorrow night, just to get a feel for it at gig volume, so I'll let you guys know what happens. I love the routing options! It's a straightforward setup, but it's still interesting...

19. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Very cool @pbass6811! I’ve got a gig starting soon that will be all in-ears and may pick one of these up.

ryanowens and pbass6811 like this.
  20. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    We aren't all IEM, yet, but I wear IEMs. With the routing options, I'm super excited to see what this sounds like directly in my ears.

So, I've got it setup like this:

The output of the Relay G70 goes straight into the A input of the Trilobite(set to mono so I can setup my normal sound on Channel A and a slap tone on Channel B).

The effects send on the Trilobite goes to the input on the ES-5. The ES-5 is set like this:
    Loop 1-Cog T-65
    Loop 2-DG X7
    Loop 3-SA Aftershock(for now)
    Loop 4-SA Mercury(for now)
    Loop 5-empty(for now)
    Out of the ES-5 back into the effects return on the Trilobite

The insert loop of the Trilobite is always on and has the DG HL comp(for now)

The 1/4" amp out is post, and goes to the power amp. I'll run the D.I. pre to FOH, and the Aux D.I.(post)to my IEMs. Everything on the board is powered by a Strymon Zuma and the Trilobite is running at 12v

The good: So far, it sounds amazing. I had a feeling that my effects would sound better, and the modulation does, but the drives and the octaves don't. I'll probably need to just route them thru the front of the Trilobite. I really don't want to do that, because the fx volume blend is REALLY effective, and I really like knowing that there isn't anything between my bass and my preamp, besides the wireless. I'll mess around with the drives and the octaver and try to get a better sound out of 'em in the loop.

The bad: So, each channel has a signal indicator light. Channel A-when it receives a signal, in this case, from an EBMM SRS 4HH & 5HH-both with the onboard pre set flat, it lights up green, just like you'd expect. But, when I switch to Channel B, same basses and same settings, the signal indicator lights up red. Even when I turned the basses down and cut the EQ all the way, it still lights up red. Channel B still sounds great, but after watching @ryanowens demo vid, I know it's not supposed to do that. I emailed Ryan, so we'll see. Like I said, it still sounds fantastic on both channels.

That was really long, and not really a review. I just wanted to give yous guys an idea of how I have it setup and how I plan to run it. I should be able to post up a bit more in-depth review after rehearsal tomorrow night and, definitely, after Saturday's gig...