Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Clueless on effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fleabass89, Feb 27, 2001.

1. I'm a newbie to effects, and have only tried distortion and overdrive. Can someone give me discriptions of the different effects and pedals out there? For example, I have NO IDEA what an envelope filter is.

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Welcome to a whole new planet! Effects, as such, are often argued back and forth, as everybody has a different sound that they're after, and effects seem to work differently for different people.

That said, there are two things that you can do to learn more about effects. The first is to try as many as you can, to see how they sound and react to your playing. If you go into a retail store that has a large setup of effects (such as Guitar Center), you can plug away for hours getting an idea of what effects do what.;)

The other thing I'd recommend, and I'd do this first, is to read this article from Bass Player Magazine. Here's the link... http://www.bassplayer.com/gear/effects.shtml

Hopefully this'll give you some basic idea. But, remember, there's no substitute for actually hearing them yourself. Enjoy!

One more thing...effects are a funny thing. Be careful not to overuse them or it'll rob your bass playing of its integrity!:eek:

3. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
  4. my personal choice is wha or any of the vast electro harmonix pedals. for instance the bassballs twin dynamic filter (which is my favorite effect of all time) makes the bass sound very melodic, is great for slapping/popping, and combined with distortion is one of the coolest sounds imaginable. i have also found that a flanger filtered thruogh a chorus with a touch of distortion topped off with a wah here and there is the coolest thing ever when improvising solos. if you want cool effects go to www.ehx.com. you can find what you want and listen to samples of the effects.