Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

C'mon folks, don't be too talkative down here!!

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Ty McNeely, Jan 2, 2001.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    LMBO...3 Posts in 2 threads, and the Forum has been up for over a year?? Dang I need to be the moderator here...maybe I can do something right:D

2. Quality takes more time. You can find more posts by setting the search function to a greater number of days.

3. That's kinda funny since, according to your profile, you don't even play the realbass. In case you didn't realize the difference, this is the Rosin forum, not the Resin forum. You don't scrape rosin from a bowl and you can't smoke it. Sorry to disappoint you.

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Not to ruffle feathers, but David, Ed, don't you think those replies are a little harsh. I mean, Hunter did have smilies throughout his emails. I don't think he meant anything offensive or rude. Bassdude had a very polite response. Let's not knock on Hunter just for trying to initiate conversation.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Okay, point taken. But does one have to ask a serious question to get a nice answer. I'm not saying you were really mean, or anything like that, but you said that if you ask a serious question, you'll get a serious answer. Okay, I agree. But does that mean that if you ask a facetious question, you'll get a rude answer?

This might be a good time to mention that I don't know what Rosin is. :confused: :)

6. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Wayull, rosins this kinda sticky stuff see. An yew rub yer bow onit. Yew know yer bow's that skinny stick sorta thing whats got some hare onit? When yew rub the hare part of yer bow back an' forth on the strings, by golly, it makes them strings start vibratin 'n singin 'n screechin. Yew never heard such dad gum noise in all yer born days. Sum times it's even purty. I hear tell that summa those monkey suit wearin' boys what play in those simfony orkestrers use that rosin almost alla tha time. I dew know that yer better fiddle players use it. One 'a them tole me onest that if yew fergit to rosin up yer bow it won't work worth a plugged nickel. Hope 'is halps. ;)

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    What's a string?

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'm not too picky about rosin, I guess (I don't play classical). I can't even remember what brand I bought the first time...Hilderstine?

I now use Pops because it's cheap, works OK for me, and comes in a plastic container so if it gets runny during the summer I don't have rosin all inside my bass bag.

Since Pops appears to make ONLY bass rosin, they must be one heck of a tiny company!

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    LMPRAO (The PR stands for Puerto-Rican).

But really, what exactly does Rosin do? What is it, an oil?

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Ohhhhhh!! Thank you.

11. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    I use Pops too. I don't know much about the company but it has to be small. When I started out on bass I ordered some Pops from Hammond-Ashley in Seattle and cracked up when I got it and noted that it is made in Houston where I live.

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Arto, thanks, I'll check that out.

Knowing what Rosin is now, isn't it odd there's an entire forum devoted to it? Isn't that like devoting a forum in BG to picks or straps?

13. Not surprised that rosin caused a bit of friction--that's its job, right? Har har...

I use Kolstein all weather. Didn't know it was made from tree sap; thanks, Ed.
    I use tree sap on my pancakes, too.

Always thought the reason there wasn't a lot of traffic down here was that the DB'ers were all out gigging.

14. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Hey guys I'm real sorry to upset you. I didn't mean for my post to offend anyone....I was simply saying that there isn't a whole lot of activity down here. I'm extremely sorry that I offended anyone.:(

15. koi

koi

Jan 3, 2001
    May I ask what exactly is a Rosin? Or a Double Bass for that matter.

16. Carlsson or Nyman (same thing in a different package) is the only rosin I'll use. It is very important for me to get a very good grip so I can back off and let the bow and the bass do all the work. If Carlsson ever disappears, I'll be at a real loss as to what else to use since I don't find any other rosin to have anywhere near the same grip.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

No - these are some of the funniest posts I've read for weeks! I missed this thread at the time, but helpfully Hunter pointed us to this in the "unreal" bass section. I am very grateful for the entertainment - Ed always makes me laugh but never more so than in this thread! Thanks again.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Double bass is the REAL bass(cough-cough).
    Electric bass = the "gadget" bass.

...geez-us!

19. A real bass is a fish.

What's a string? - Gotta ask that in the string forum.

Hunter - Don't worry, everybody is a 15 year old at some point.

[Edited by Erick Lam on 01-04-2001 at 06:27 AM]

20. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Hey Jim jw but then what would the Ashbory Bass be considered? Micro bass? 18in fretless scale, sounds more like an upright than about any other fretless bass out there except for the big one or URB. Thats all not tryin to get deleted.