Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

C'mon please Fender (P Bass) experts, your opinions need here.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fender32, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    So, hopefully someone out there can help me figure out whether or not my "1975 Fender Precision Bass" body is geniune, or not. :confused:

As you can see from the attached pics, it has a name stamp in the neck joint and a (rather unusual looking) round cut-out underneath the bridge. :meh:

:help: Is this normal for a mid 70's P Bass, does anyone know?

I bought it on eBay and have subsequently found out that the "original" pickup was made 13 years after the neck was! :mad:

Just wondering how much else is non-original?

Any, as usual, all opinions are welcome!

:)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think the cutout is just there for when they are paitning it or its on a rack or something? i forget.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    It doesn't look right to me...do you have more/better pictures of the rest?

4. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Yes, I do. But they're misleading, as the neck is certainly original, as are the tuners and bridge. The scratchplate was replaced by me and the pickup is from a 1988 US '57 reissue. I'm not too sure about the pots, but I'm not too worried about them.

I've included another pic of the control cavity, anyway.

I suppose the real question is, do any other owners of mid 70's P Basses have this kind of circular cut out underneath the bridge of their instrruments? :confused:

5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'm not sure about originality there, but I just thought I'd mention that the pickups in those '57 reissues were always really nice, so I bet the bass sounds really good!

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The cutout under the bridge is on my 76 P.

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool: Body may be refinished?
    Do you have better pics.?
    To me fender would not be tha sloppy with paint.
    Could be overspray?
    But body routing, not original fender.

8. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    It does actually. That's the funny thing. I was knocked out with it when I got it, as I wasn't expecting too much, it's only recently that I've begun to have my doubts about the authenticity and (therefore) value of the thing. That won't stop me playing it constantly and enjoying it - I just want to be really sure about what I claim, if I ever come to sell it (unlike the bozo who sold it to me as "100% original and authrentic". :scowl:

9. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Really? :) Is it the same shape and depth?

That's encouraging, if it is.

10. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    I don't have any other pics, apart from the "finished article" (attached).

As for the control cavity routing, it does join up with the pickup cavity, but isn't this normal on a 70's P Bass? My '62 (reissue) has a separate cavity for each, but I think that was normal from the beginning up until the CBS era (please correct me if I'm wrong).

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yes, the exact same shape and depth. The ground wire comes up through the hole, though I expect it was drilled in there more to give them a place to hang the body when they paint it, though they could have used the neck pocket like they traditionally did.

12. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    :hyper: Thanks a lot Jimmy. :)

Just one more question:

Does the control cavity join up with the pickup cavity (like on mine)?

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Indeed it does.

14. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    :hyper: Whoo hoo! I'm off to sell it on eBay! :D

Only kidding. That's great news, thanks. Now all I have to figure out, is whether or not it's been repainted?

I suspect it has, as there is are two very thick layers of white paint under the black, one matt white (primer?) and one thicker off-white (original top coat?). Also, the black paint is on the inside of the cut out under the bridge, which I guess it wouldn't be if that hole was for hanging the body on during painting (?) :confused:

:help: Any opinions on that one?

15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Looks a bit different from my 73, and I don't remember the bit under the bridge, but it could just be my memory.

I could buy that it's maybe a late 70's model though.

I wouldn't sweat it too much anyway, it's the neck that holds the magic pixie dust anyway!

16. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    That phrase must always be taken with a grain of salt. Usually its not because anyone is trying to rip anyone off, its more like "the telephone game". The guy you bought it from heard from the guy that he bought it from ... etc.

A good playing and sounding '70s P is a thing of beauty.