C'mon... you gotta love Prong

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I never hear anything about Prong on these boards. I'm just curious if I'm the only one who thinks this is a kick ass band. I know everytime I create an "ultimate band" list I always want Tommy Victor on guitar. Amazing syncopated thundering metal riffs. And there is a little something for every kind of metal head in Prong. The earlier stuff, more general metal. Then later on (Cleansing, Rude Awakening) you get an industrial sound, esp. Rude Awakening. And you wanna talk about FANTASTIC metal bassist tone, Paul Raven has it. The rhythm section on Rude Awakening (can you tell that I dig their industrial side more?) has an almost robotic programmed feel to it. Though they mess with samples and whatnot, it's real musicians. The only Prong albums I own are Rude Awakening, Cleansing, and Beg to Differ (different bass and vocalist on some songs).

Am I alone on this or what?
  2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Snap yo' fingers snap yo' neck!

Only song I ever liked from them.
  3. BassesOfDeath

Sep 13, 2003
    Rude Awakening is a KILLER album. It's great, and no one knows about it. :eek:
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

It's funny, this is how I got into Prong...

Old school guitar pro fans will know that you use to be able to get bulk guitar pro files. It was awesome because you got to see the musical talents of bands you didn't really know. So I wandered into the metal section and laughed my ass off when I found a Prong song called, "Snap your fingers snap your neck." Checked it out, and the guitar pro file was cool, so I downloaded the song and it was cool. Then bought the album and since then I've just run into prong albums in used CD stores and whoo... fun times.
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

No, Prong.
  6. 72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I <u>really</u> dig the cover of 'Strange Days' they did with Manzarek. I collect cover tunes and that one is absolutely in the top 3.

Prong's a good band. Amazingly they can sound totally different from anything they've done before, but you can still tell it's Prong.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    They also do a ripping cover of "London Dungeon" by The Misfits.
  8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Prong was the very first band I ever saw live. Cool band. I think their drummer is a total machine. Solid.

Love the bass tone on the solo for Who's Fist is this Anyway. Sick!
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

10. Prong is cool. use to like them..only because they wanted to be Killing Joke...
  11. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    Dang! I fell in love w/ Prong from Headbanger's Ball back in the day. I've got just about all their stuff, seen 'em twice. My favorite is probably the tune "test"(?) off of cleansing. super heavy guitar tune.

didn't tommy victor tour as danzig's guitarist? what's he doing now?
  12. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    I've seen Prong about four times live. At a place called "Baby head" in providence RI. They sold the place years ago. It's now a place called "Club Hell" a dance club :( (Man do I miss that place). I've been a Prong fan for years. "Prove you wrong" is a great album. But I like all of them! I wish they could of just kept one bass player!

Great band to see live. Full of energy, gets the crowd going! :)
  13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I used to LOVE Beg To Differ, and I saw them at least four times.

The industrial influence on BTD predated a lot of "brand names".
  14. Marty, I guess we're old, I never heard of them either!

15. speaking of Paul Raven's bass tone with Prong, I like the sound he got on Killing Joke's Nighttime album-
    Eighties, Kings & queens, Love like blood.

sounds like a stingray with lots of midrange added, or was it a Jazz?

re. Prong, only know Snap your fingers snap your neck, courtesy of Beavis & Butthead's appraisal of the video:D
  16. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    first chance to weigh in on this thread...

Though I'm not really an aficionado of 'heavy' music, Prong has always appealed to me for some reason. I think a lot of it has a swing to it, much more so than other heavy bands. For a while I even tried to emulate the guitar approach in my own work.

Not crazy about the drum tones, but I guess he went with what fit the genre and the times. A little too dry/thin for me, with too much gate on the toms/snare. But I do like the overall effect of the music. Lyrics are of that anthemic 'metal' style I guess, but I don't usually pay much attention to those anyway.

Cool band. Thought I heard some Voivodisms in the early albums...