Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CNB Racks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bal704, Dec 26, 2005.

1. bal704

bal704 Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2004
    In the Great Southwest
    I'm interested in buying a CNB 6 space rack with wheels. This is the plastic SKB clone. Rondo Music doesn't carry them anymore. Does anybody know of other distributors in the U.S.?

2. lonotes

lonotes A place for everything, & everything out of place

Oct 15, 2003
    Port Richey,FL
    I don't know if they still carry them, but I have bought CNB cases from Sam Ash in the past.

3. bal704

bal704 Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2004
    In the Great Southwest
    Yeah, I noticed Sam Ash carried the 3 space version, but I need at least 6.

4. lonotes

Oct 15, 2003
    Port Richey,FL
    It's been a few years ago, but I bought a six and a four space CNB.
    But that was before anyone offered racks with built in wheels. It might be worth it to call them though. Is there a reason for specifying CNB though? I realize that SKB is a little pricey, but what about Gator?

5. bal704

bal704 Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2004
    In the Great Southwest
    Just being cheap, I guess. I noticed the CNB 6 space was selling for about $90 (at Rondo, when they had them), whereas the SKB and Gator were going for $130+. I'd definitely consider a Gator or SKB for the right price.

6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    ive had gator cases, ive had SKB cases and ive had CNB cases. There isnt a gigantic difference, especially for the price. When you start talking about SKB's nicer stuff yea there is, but when your comparing SKB's roto line to CNB id go with the CNB.

7. lonotes

Oct 15, 2003
    Port Richey,FL
    Ah! I know the "right price" syndrome well. I bought an SKB 8 space from a friend that worked at GC for $80, brand new. I was shocked when, two years later, a 6 space SKB cost me $ 170. One of the things that I did not like about the CNB was that the rails themselves were threaded ( at least at that time). I like the replaceable clips that SKB uses. I'm not sure, but I think Gator uses a similar clip.

8. bal704

bal704 Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2004
    In the Great Southwest
    I believe they still have the threaded rails. It doesn't make much difference to me, as I don't swap gear much. The CNB looks like it will work for me, I'm just having trouble finding the 6 space wheeled version.

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Be careful though: The wheels and handle of the CNB cases go through the bottom rackspace. I posted a question in the general forum asking what pieces of gear people have been able to fit in the bottom space.

Other than that, my CNB is a great rack: lightweight, managable, the doors close tightly, and the rails seem to be very strong (can easily hold up a power amp without rear support).

10. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    The newer Gators use threaded rails rather than the SKB-style clips they used previously. Both work for me. If it matters, I believe the CNB cases are ABS plastic rather than the polyethylene that SKB and Gator use.

Kim

11. bagman

bagman

Sep 28, 2005
    SE Florida
    :crying: I bought one from SA ( $ 75.00) , what a mistake did not make it through one gig. Broke a wheel.

:D When to GC brought a SKS ($130.00), lifetime warrenty, works like a champ.

Both were 6 space rollers. The handel takes one space. One space obove the amp for the fan. The furman, wireless, & tunner take the rest. Highly recomend the SKS over the CNB racks if you need a roller.

12. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I previously owned a CNB hardcase for a bass I bought from Rondo. The thing was amazingly sub-par when it came to quality. Very very cheaply made, and then thing would crack if you gave a stern look or a gentle breeze were to hit it.

If that type of quality carries over to their rack cases I would stay far far away.

13. jamaicas

jamaicas

Apr 14, 2009
    Berlin, DE
    I currently own a CNB 6-space, plastic rack with wheels. I broke the handle of it very shortly within buying in. I am trying to find a way to contact the company to replace the handle. Does anyone know if they will replace it?

14. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    SKB Lifetime warranty.

Guys on here have commented before, busted, called, replaced.
    My SKB 8 space is built from neutronium. While not a wheelie unit, the material is nearly bulletproof. Not so with PVC.

There's some things worth spending money on... Good equipment cases is #1 in this business even before good gear.

Because busted gear is still busted gear whether it is top of the line or cheap crap.

BOB