1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CNC Machinery

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mahrous, May 1, 2006.

1. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    we are finally recieving our CNC machine next July. my father owns a furniture + wooden products production facility and has ordered this piece of machinery for such purposes.

anyhow, its horrifying:
    Balestriniphoto1.

7 meters long and over 2 meters wide with 3.5m long stroke and 1.5meter wide stroke (ideal measurements for door leaf work). it is also got an installed incorporated interpolated 6th axis as a lathe machine. you can see the spiral column mounted on it.

we are getting the required training for it sometime during June + we have already learnt some basics of CAM.

i think i read people talking about CNC around here before. i was wondering which software you guys are using and if you have any literature, tutorial, forums or web links that would help me get started learning how to use it before it arrives.

i have most softwares that are available on the internet including: AlphaCAM, DelCAM, Mastercam, EdgeCAM etc.
    any help with any of these softwares will be helpful, the postprocessor is only available for AlphaCAM so whatever i do, i need to export it to AlphaCAM. i am aware that AlphaCAM is probably the most difficult to operate but we are forced to use it to control the machine.

thanks in advance

2. AlphaCAM is actually pretty easy. I'm a graphic designer that got thrown into display design. There are some downloadable booklets online that I used to learn the program. Someone actually giving me tips and showing me what I was doing wrong definitely helped though. The drawing part was easy. Applying cutting paths and depths was more difficult. I have a new job, so I don't use it anymore.

3. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    AlphaCAM does everything. it accepts dxf, dwg, iges, G-Codes, corel files and everything

i have already designed most of my guitars and basses on AutoCAD and Inventor (IGES format).

i am basically using it for tool paths and the jobs. drawing in it is very difficult compared to AutoCAD (which i finally became proficient at)

Wolak, can you give me links of the downloadable booklets? as for tips, we have a week of training with the company that made the machine to teach us AlphaCAM but i want a headstart first. i need to know how to do the cutting paths and so on.

thanks for the help :)

4. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    my uncle has 2 of these monsters for his business, and I must say, they're pretty sweet. The only bad thing is that they're 100,000 bucks each, but I'm sure they pay for themselves after a while.

Greg

5. I don't actually have the links. It was over a year ago, but I believe you can go onto the AlphaCAM website (or whoever makes AlphaCAM) and download informational booklets. Do a google search. Good luck!

6. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    www.licom.com = maker of AlphaCAM. i found them tutorials

any more links are appreciated

7. WHOAAAA!! That's BIG!!! It would take up my whole shop :eek: I have a Bridgeport size CNC mill that I use for making my knife parts.