1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

CNC machining class project.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by peetey, Sep 10, 2008.

1. peetey

peetey

Mar 9, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    I just thought I might ask,

I'm a teacher at a vocational school and I teach a large class of cnc/ machining/ programming /3d -modeling type stuff. I also have access to several 3-axis cnc milling machines and the latest version of Mastercam. I have access to several straight A students who have finished all their work and are looking for extra work. So...

I was just wondering if we can come up with a common idea and let me attempt at making it. I'm pretty sure the director at the school wouldn't mind.

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum.

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Are you asking members of the forum for guidance in what would be an appropriate bass guitar design for your students to build?

3. lunker

lunker

May 27, 2008
    Houston
    You could make thousands of crappy Fender lookalike basses and sell them for cheap. :bag:

4. no no no no thats china's job

5. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    LOL

6. peetey

peetey

Mar 9, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm beginning to have second thoughts about this. I have no time.

7. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    what exactly are you after here peetey?

8. peetey

peetey

Mar 9, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Well, I have access to a shop, some manpower and some really good CAD/CAM software. I have some aluminum lying around and I thought I could start with a mock-up mini size bass to start with.

I thought there might be some IGS files floating around here on TB that I could attempt to machine.

My students are not studying to be luthiers, the curriculum is more geared toward the aerospace side.

I have some ideas as far as shapes go but to start from scratch would take up a lot of my time. The simpler the model (pbass) the quicker it would be to draw up. But I was thinking something more outside the box, something unique as far as shape goes, something 3 dimensional with lots of curves and bends or maybe some engraving or scrolls. The possibilities are without limit. It's really up to what a creative mind can come up with. If you can visualize it, I can build a 3D model. But again, I'm not sure how much time I have to put into this.

9. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I'm still a little confused. It seems you want something simple so it's easier to make but more complex so it's interesting. I'm also unclear about whether you intend this to be a working instrument or just a small-scale mockup of one.

But if you're looking for some unusual bass designs, a nice place to start would be http://basslab.de/.

10. peetey

peetey

Mar 9, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Wouldn't it be cool if the front face of your bass (or just a section) had some really nice 3 dimensional engraving done it?

I think I have some really good ideas.