1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

CNC Wound vs Scatter Wound Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Can anyone tell me what the tonal differences are between CNC wound and Scatter Wound pickups would be?? What can I expect going with one vs the other??

I'm new to pickups and really don't know much about what goes into making them. I just know what sounds good and what doesnt..

2. scatter wound, is apparently a method of immitating a more random "hand wound" wind on the bobbin...which is touted to sound different than a more regular or "machine wound" wind

elegedly, the scatter wound has a flatter frequency response (less of the natural LC resonant peak) due to less capacitance in the wind

...whether this is true or not, I cannot attest...

3. Any other opinions floating around?

4. Alaska Bass

Alaska Bass

Dec 31, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Hand wound is no better or worse than CNC in and of itself.

The real issue lies with the process of winding. Adjusting the program to create a more random winding will often times create a more smooth and pleasing tone, I say often times because a bad programmer is just like a bad hand winder.

Speaking of which, a hand wound coil does not guarantee quality. The person picking the wire, guiding the tension, and lapping the windings really has the final say in the tone characteristics.