CNN knows nothing about music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI

I chuckled pretty hard reading this article about who is going to "replace Phish".

Have we been over this a billion times yet?
    String Cheese does their bluegrass pop and that's great for them - a couple more people might get into them - yippy skippy. Who's bringing the hoola-hoops ;)
    Moe. has been the same for years - albeit a better band than SCI but nowhere near the level of Phish - that's cool that they'll get a few more fans.
    Panic has taken this whole year off - IMO great touring bands just don't do that. They've been through some tough stuff - maybe they'll be done soon? Not gonna happen.
    The Dead are well..... the living Dead. I just can't get into that anymore. They keep bringing new guys/girls in and out and it's not even close the real thing anymore. They will get probably the biggest jump of all these groups, but the prices for their shows are just not cool. I still love Phil.
    Ween? I don't even consider them a jam band. They're a really fun band and extremely odd - but it's just not going to happen for them. I don't think they want it to happen to them anyway.

Sorry for the rant - this is just nonsense on CNN's part.
  2. I don't think many people will be missing Phish.
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    There are other things they know nothing about as well. This is just one of the few that we're allowed to discuss at TB. :D

brad cook
  4. I'll miss phish, but I really think that alot of Jam bands copied the Phish sound.

Phish took alot from the GD, but in turn made it their own. Now you just have a bunch of carbon copies...

Edit: just because ween plays a three hour show doesn't mean they're a jam band... I guess having a large song cataloge is unheard of now.
  5. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    The Next Phish isn't around yet. That doesn't mean the jam band scene is slipping, it just means there's no gorilla in the room. There's plenty of talented, hard working bands out there touring relentlessly (and not wearing costumes, the sign of a true jam band) and sharing the music. Just waiting for a change.

BTW, if they don't share on the Live Music Archive, they ain't a jam band. And Ween doesn't.
  6. I don't know, there music ain't my cup of tea for the most part, but they definately have a large dedicated following.

Tickets for Dead shows have been way overpriced. What happened to pay 3 dollars or burn one (dollar, in case of confusion)?

I agree w/ that carbon copy thing. I can't count the number of "jam bands" that do mixo jams w/ auto-q and jerry style phrasing, and then they go right into something that sounds just like phish.

The successful "hippie/jam/mildly folkish alterna-fusion" bands of the future wil be the ones that fit a particular niche exceptionally well. This can already be seen in said music scene.
  7. Beg your pardon for sounding stupid, but what do you mean by a jam band?

I've never heard the term before. :confused:
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As long as bongs, Birkenstocks, balding guys with gray-haired ponytails, and fat-ass women in hemp granny dresses playing dulcimers are around, there will be SUCKsessors. :D
  9. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Try this:

Think ever changing set lists, long improvisational songs, and bands that allow shows to be taped and shared. Typically low studio-recorded record sales.

String Cheese Incident, Widespread Panic, Moe. are currently the most commonly associated bands with the genre.
  10. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    They cover themselves in jam, sometimes marmalade before shows.
  11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Still painting with that same 2-mile-wide brush, I see. Must be nice to be so omniscient.
  12. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Actually, I don't listen to any of the bands mentioned in this thread, nor do I wear sandals, have any hanging plants, a ponytail, or any tie-dyed clothing. I just like reminding people that just because they choose see the world in black and white doesn't mean that it isn't really more complicated than that, even if they refuse to see the different shades of color. :)
  13. Funny that ween would be mentioned at all. They have that one really good song though.....bananas and blow.......harhar....

I think panic will likely pick up the least of phish's fans, because they're more or less at the opposite end of the hippie band spectrum, not to metion they're never going to be as good as they were a few years ago. SCI, however, has that lighthearted.....sillyness or....whatever it is......and kang, who is like a trey clone as far as phrazing.
  14. Marmalade, I like marmalade.... :D

Thanks for the link jkritchey.

Rickbass, Chris - :confused: I thought you guys were adults; there's no need for that. I could be in trouble from the board moderators for saying this but hey, come on, posts like that aren't needed, are they?

Just my 2c. :meh:
  15. Chris is an adult. Rickbass just got back after an enforced vacation from Talkbass.

edit(jt): ....
  16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    alright, back on topic, please.

rick, that didn't take long :( :scowl:
  17. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Please pardon my ignorance, but is there some sort of agreed-upon definition of what "Jam Band" really means? Does it have to be a GD-influenced band with vocals that stretches out on solos or can it be an instrumental group that plays pop-influenced stuff?

I'm curious for reasons that hit close to home, as one group I play in and write for sometimes gets referred to as a "Jam Band" (Java Men - short soundclip one of our tunes people sometimes call "Jam Bandish" can be found Here ), even though I never thought of what we do as that.

In short, do "Jam Bands" have to have vocals?
  18. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Nope. Bela Fleck and The Flecktones are often included in jam band influenced festivals. As Are Medeski, Martin, and Wood. I would say vocals tend to be the weak point of many jam bands. Strong instrument skills tend to define the genre.

Keeping in mind that labeling always causes problems. ;)