Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Coal Chamber on Last Call

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by electricdemon3, May 22, 2002.

1. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I was watching Last Call with Carson Daily last night and Coal Chamber was on. I never really was a fan, but then I saw their bass player! Wow, a girl playing bass in a metal band! And she isn't using a pick! I also liked the song they were playing, doesn't sound like your average MTV fake metal. I'm still not sure if I like them, I think it is because of the singer but I give major props to the bass player!

Oh by the way for anyone else who may have watched, did you see David Blain the street magic guy pull his heart out of his chest? That was awsome!

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Rayna Ross was interviewed here once, and is also registered as a member. She posted a few times.

3. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    Wow I didn't know that was the same bassist. I read the interview when it was new and thought she was cool but I don't remember any mention of Coal Chamber. That is just even cooler that she is a member of TalkBass!

4. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    Wait a second, I just went to Coal Chamber's site and their bass player's name is Rayna Foss-Rose. Now is that the same person as Rayna Ross or is that just a really odd coincidence? Anyway the site also mentioned that Rayna Foss quit the band to spend time with her child and was replaced by a bass player named Nadja and I think that is the one I saw on TV last night.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think that's rana ross.

6. Rayna Foss was the bassist on 'Coal Chamber' and 'Chamber Music'. She married the drummer from Sevendust around the end of the 'Chamber Music' recording, and her name became Rayne Foss-Rose. Recently, after the recording of 'Dark Days', she left the band to spend more time with her daughter. When she took maternity leave from the band, Nadja Peulen filled in. Nadja is now the full-time bassist for CC.

IMO, Dark Days is the strongest recording, followed by 'Coal Chamber', then followed by 'Chamber Music'. Their music is a lot more gothic-tinged metal than most other MTV stuff, and their second album is more Type O Negative than Korn. Give them a listen, you'll either love them or hate them.

7. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    Hmm. I think I'll have to check them out. I've always been a little bit of a closet goth, listening to bands like Bauhaus and Type O Negative...

8. embellisher

Silly me, confusing Rayna Foss and Rana Ross.:rolleyes: Rana actually plays for Sinboy, not Coal Chamber!

I'm getting old!

9. Damn these youngin's with their downtuning and tabs...back in my day we learned bebop tunes by ear, over a distorted radio. And we practiced on four shoelaces tied to a model plane...

:D

The fact is Em-Bel, you probably groove better now than I ever will!

10. embellisher

The older you get, the deeper the grooves get. Mine are starting to look like wrinkles!