Coast guard reserver?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassmutant, Jul 19, 2005.

1. I'm starting college in the fall, and have been considering joining the coast guard reserve to earn some extra jink. I'm a former marine, and wondering if anyone else around here has experience with the coast guard, reserves or not. I'm just wondering how it is compared to the other militaries. I'm familiar with their standards, height weight, blah blah, I'm more interested what the insider's perspective is. Thanks in advance. I live in NW washington, and will be going to college in a town with a coast guard station, so I doubt i'd have to travel far for my reserve obligations unless my unit were deployed, if possible.
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    My father was in the Coast Guard when he was young, stationed in and around New York harbor. There's less chance of you having to worry about being sent to fight in a war than any other military branch, so that's a plus :D From what I've gathered, a lot of crew members end up learning quite a bit about technical positions (electrician, welding, control computers, etc.) and often get tech jobs when they get out.
  3. Sorry, I have very little to offer in regards to information, but I think it would be a great step!

I did a stint as a Navy Reserve in my country and I got heaps of good training and a very clear head about how to lead my life. At the time, I was doing things I shouldn't have done, and just a couple of months in the NR straightened me out and led me onto the life I now lead!

I say, go for it!
  4. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

My older brother is in the USCG Reserve. He loves it. After the Iraq War started he was activated because they needed extra port security but he has since been deactivated. It gives him a nice escape from his regular job since he doesn't get to go on drug busts or intercepts of illegal immigrants coming on rafts from Cuba and Haiti during his work week. The busts and intercepts are more of a Florida deal though.

If you have any specific questions, just ask and I'll relay them to my brother.