coated strings creating electrical buzz?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fender_mod, Dec 22, 2005.

1. fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    i wanted to put some DR black beauties on my bass but i read a review of them somewhere that the fact they are coated means that any sort of buzzing created by lifting your hands off the strings will remain even when playing. it sounds like it makes sense but im not sure. plus i use very hot pickups and my main practice amp is a piece of crap, only adding to the buzz i get. i normaly dont experience much buzz on my gigging amp; fender bassman through a sun 2x15 cab. anyone know a little something about coated strings doing this?
  2. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    The reason for this would be simple, buzzing indicates a grounding problem with your bass. When you play a poorly grounded bass with uncoated strings, your bass is grounded through you. When you have coated strings, this means that electricity can not conduct through the coating and so the bass can not be grounded through you. I use black beauties and they're great, if your bass has a grounding issue, it means you should sort it out rather than use strings to ground it through.
  3. fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    yah im not sure if the issue is more with my amp than my wiring, like i said my fender bassman is spot on, little to no buzzing at all. i think the deal with my 15 watt practice is simply comming from interference in my dorm than anything else.