1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Coated Strings: D'Addario vs DR Black Beauties vs Rotosound Nexus

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rickter, Dec 1, 2017.

1. D'Addario EXP Nickel

9.1%
  2. DR Black Beauties

54.5%
  3. Rotosound Nexus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. DR Dragon Skin

9.1%
  5. Other

27.3%
  1. Rickter

Rickter Bassist for EverCross, Precision Bass Geek Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    My quest for longer lasting "new string zing" and my acid hands have made me decide that I should give coated bass strings a try. I primarily play in a rock/metal context on a Precision 5. My usual go to set has been Rotosound 66 Stainless but recently I've fallen in love with Rotosound 66 Nickels and D'Addario XLs, and those two are still fighting for the title as far as I'm concerned. Just so you have an idea as to my non-coated preferences....

The main contenders among the coated string options at this point are:
    • D'Addario EXP Nickels (Advantage: custom gauge sets available)
    • DR Black Beauties (Advantage: custom gauge sets, available tapered B)
    • DR Dragon Skin
    • Rotosound Nexus (Unknown: Type 52 Alloy, Disadvantage: 4 string set + Low B only)
    * Elixers are out for me. Just never liked their bass strings. I may try them again someday, but this is not that day.

So for those of you that have experience on these 4 varieties of coated strings, which do you prefer and why?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I always liked Dragon Skins and Black Beauties, but mainly just because they are a little different...not so much because they are coated. I don't really find that coated strings last any longer than non-coated, because there's nothing to prevent fret divots in the strings.

But by far the zingiest coated strings are the only ones you don't want...Elixir Steels :) They are the only ones that are truly coated, the rest just use a coated wrap wire so you can still get gunk and sweat into the core.

Rickter likes this.
  3. Rickter

Rickter Bassist for EverCross, Precision Bass Geek Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Found this video in an old TB thread showing off the Rotosound Nexus set on a Schecter in drop D.

4. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California aka Paradise
    "Jazz is not dead. It just smells funny."
    I absolutely love Black Beauties. My new string of choice for my Dingwall SJ 5 string. I've been playing the sh*t out of them for a couple of months and they still sound as bright as they did new. If they made an extra long set I'd put them on my long scale Dingwalls.

BrBss and Rickter like this.
  5. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Although not a 5 string set, I have some Black Beauties on my Fender Jazz Bass fretless, and I really like them...

Rickter likes this.
  6. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    B B's are good, just be aware that the coating wears off after awhile.