Coated Strings...Elixir or...?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LA, Sep 17, 2005.

1. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I see that D'Addario has a set of coated strings in their lineup. Are there other brands besides Elixir with the coating?
  2. DR in 3 colors my favorite. :)
    IMHO of course.
  3. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    another vote for DR :D
  4. And a third. I got the purty red ones.
  5. DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    DR Black Beauties (the Red Devils and Peacock Blues are the same string, just different coloring) are grrrrrreat. And they're about 10 bucks cheaper at my local store than Elixirs. Excellent tone and great feel, imo
  6. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Yet another shot for DR. Can't go wrong there.
  7. bass4him1

Sep 28, 2004
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Put my first set of red devil coated DR's on three weeks ago. I liked them but just broke a string, so I am not sure. i will give them another shot.
  8. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ive tried the d'adarios, and they suck. elixir polywebs have been my main stay for about 4 years now.

however i would like to try the dr's. i used to love dr strings(but they would die to damn fast) so maybe i will give these a whirl.

also, stay away from black diamond strings. ugh
  9. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    i've been using elixir polyweb for several years now, unfortunately only the nanoweb (thinner coating) is available in 5-string sets so i'm thinking of trying the dr coated strings as well.

the nanowebs are nice, but the polywebs are much better.
  10. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey

you can order the 4 string set, then order the B string in their single string category.

yeah, they are 11 bucks for the one string, butits 5 string elixirs polywebs/
  11. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    oh cool, thanks! i didn't even think they made a low-b with polyweb.
  12. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i think they have them in 110 and 130, but i may be mistaken.
  13. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I'm using DR Bootzillas. They're clear coated unlike the other DR's, but they sing.
  14. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    Another vote for DR Black Beauties.
  15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have been using Elixirs on my basses for quite some time now, but I am going to try out a set of the DR's in the near future (when the Elixirs need to be replaced).

I have had good luck with Elixirs, but have heard many good things about the DR's, so I am gonna give em a shot. I used to use DR's exclusively, so I am anxious to see how the coated ones stack up to the Elixirs.