coated strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bass_kitten, Aug 3, 2002.

1. bass_kitten

bass_kitten Guest

Nov 25, 2001
    i was curious about the elixer coated nanoweb strings.. does it help a lot if they are coated and how long does it last? they arent cheap, but ive heard good things about them. has anyone here ever tried them and are they worth it? :confused:
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I like 'em very much. They last a long time, sound very good and, perhaps most importantly, feel great. Kinda slippery. I use the sixer set of nano's on my fretless Roscoe 6 and I like the Elixir Polywebs on a pre-CBS P Bass I own. I have nothing but good things to say about Elixir, however, I have heard that the poly's can fray if you use a pick.
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I bought a set of elixer nanoweb strings for approx 48 bucks. installed them and removed them with in 5 minutes. Not a bad string, just not my taste. YMMY
  4. Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    good strings, but i wouldnt like to use them all the time, that have a nice sound, very warm.
  5. I've been using Elixir PolyWeb's for 5 years.

Nice feel under the fingers.

Greatly reduces Fretwear.

Cuts down on Fret Rattle noise.

They last a long time.

I love 'em.

Pay $40 for a 4 string set.
  6. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have never played them and am curious if they feel different under your fingers(slippery)?
  7. PolyWebs are Very Slippery.
    NanoWebs a slightly less so.

Other stings seem like "sandpaper" in comparision.
  8. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I really am not into the whole "coated string" thing. I think it makes the strings sound dead right out of the package. I also really like punchy bright strings on an electric so i can sound like Jaco Pastorius. But thats only my opinion.
  9. Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    no disrespect, but no one will be able to sound like jaco...except jaco. people need to develop their own, unique soud.

anyway :

im getting my first fretless in about 3-4 months, and might use these coated strings. i think ive played on them before in a local shop, but not sure if it was them. before i decide on strings, im gonna go back and check. if they were the coated strings, i liked them, not sure if i would like them on fretted (as i believe i stated in an above post). if i get a fretless, ill either go with these coated mosters, or some Ernie Ball nickels...any thoughts?
  10. FiedelP

May 24, 2002
    Hamburg, Germany
    But how long do they last compared to other steel roundwound strings. Would be really nice to hear from someone, who has tried them out!
  11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    D'Addario has a new line of coated strings. I think that they're called EXPs. Is there anyone who has played any of those and the Elixirs that can share any comparative thoughts?
  12. kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    I play fretless and fretted 5's on a daily bassis. I tried Alembic, Elixer, D'Addario and Ernie Ball super slinkies on both basses. I love the sound of them all, and the Elixers last a long time, but the D'Addario has a much more even sound and damn if I ever have to turn my tuning keys. They stay in tune SOOOO long. I can't wait to try the coated D'Addarios for my fretless. All others seemed to die too quickly or never stayed in tune.
    I would pluck an open A or E with a certain brand and my tuner would go from sharp to flat/back and forth until settling on the proper A or E. With the D'Addario, it would never fluctuate....just my observation.
  13. Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    well, shoot, youve convinced me, boyd. as soon as i purchase a fretless, im trying these D'Addario EXP Coated Strings. they sound cool, and theyre not terribly expensive. i may even try some on my p bass to see if i like them.
  14. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    i didnt meen to compare myself to jaco. i was just saying that all the coated stirings that i have played on are not bright enough to get that "jaco playing donna lee" type tone. The strings that i played on are to mellow not enough high end is produced.

sorry if i offened somone if it sounded like i thought i was jaco.