1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Coating a bass cab in Line-X

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ironbar, Jan 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    I've seen this done on many amps, and I've decided to take my 4x10 cabinet in and have it done as it's about the same price to do this vs. Durex, and has the added benefit of being dry within minutes of being coated.

My question is, once I have the surface of the amp all sanded down smooth, should I even bother with wood filler to fill in any small dings, dents or screw holes? I would think that the Line-X coating would pretty much render that step superfluous.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    IMHO, good surface prep will give better results—including filling dings and screw holes. I base that opinion on observation only, not actual build experience. I have five fEARful cabinets, all coated with Line-X, and all built by Ron Anchak—a very respected authorized fEARful builder who left the speaker cabinet business to run a different CNC enterprise. Ron was pretty meticulous, and his results are great.

3. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    Thanks for the info Jim! I took your advice and filled all the small dents and dings with wood filler, let it dry, then sanded it all down again. I didn't bother going less than 80 grit for the job as the Line X is more than capable of hiding. Can't wait to get tbe cab back tomorrow and put all the hardware back on. Should look pretty sweet. And then I can finally start playing through it!