1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Coating option.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greenman, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

That is an insulation product, not a coating that's designed to survive exposure. As an insulation, it's supposed to be used in areas that will be covered up.

Check out Duratex, which at $52.50/gallon from speakerhardware.com, is 25% cheaper.

Duratex is easy to apply and it cures to a rock-hard finish.

2. nsh50a

nsh50a

May 11, 2004
    Columbia, MO
    10 yrs ago I got a used ampeg 810. The tolex had a few gouges in it (not bad but I could tell that it would only get worse). I stripped the whole thing, removed the hardware and electronics, and had it Line-X'd for about 60 bucks (spray on truck bed liner). The stuff still looks like the day I had it done. As a bonus, the material has a dampening quality that seems to make the cab more inert (like adding more bracing) and lets the speakers color the sound more (at least to my ears)

3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    i was thinking 'rhino lining' just the other day. i always have trouble with vinyl. my seams come up, i get bubbles (yes even after i roll on it), and it always seems that just a little heat (like being in a car for a little while) makes the tolex want to go walkabout. suggestions on adheasives????

4. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    You guys think a quart of Herculiner is enough to coat an 8x10 cab?

5. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    Most likely. With roll on Duratex, it would.

6. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Awesome and thanks. The carpet on my Trace Elliot 1084 cab is tattered to hell and I think Herculiner would be a great way to freshen up its look.

7. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    I'm cobbling together some cabs this week with what I have lying around, and I was going to shoot them with the $7/can Home Depot truck bed liner. for a small cab, it's cheap enough that it's probably no big deal if it doesn't turn out.