Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davidoc, Feb 10, 2003.

1. What do coaxial drivers do? Are they special?
  2. A coaxial driver has a "built-in" tweeter actually in the same speaker. Look at the Eden CXM line. Those speakers are all drivers that have a central tweeter in the center of the cone.

Most car stereo speakers are built like this
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm sure some of the real techies will jump on this before too long, but until then, I'll share what little I know. Coaxial speakers are simply speakers with smaller speakers built in, like often seen in car stereo speakers. Most often, a coaxial speaker will be built around a "woofer" of some sort, and then have a built-in tweeter and/or midrange speaker mounted at or near the center of the woofer. I used to think that all coaxial speakers were low end crap, but then I got my EA CXL112 (CXL stands guessed it), and learned that I was wrong. The CXL112 has a 12" "woofer" with a horn built right into the middle of it, and is a damn fine speaker.

Ok, at this point, somebody who REALLY knows what they're talking about can chime in....
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Good descriptions so far. They're usually used for PA applications though - I don't think I've ever seen one on a bass rig. They're great where small cabinets are the requirement coz they take up less space than a traditional speaker+horn setup. However we all know what happens to bottom end when we use small cabinets........ They're great for making foldback wedges or PA mid-highs where bottom end isn't crucial.
  5. A lot of PA companies are using Coaxial speakers these days. Like Petebass said, mostly for mid/high type boxes and wedges. You get better phase response from coaxial drivers because the low and high drivers are physically aligned with each other. They also give a better approximation of a point source. The HF wavefront is conical in shape. L'Acoustics make a couple different coaxial cabs. They make a little fill box with a coaxial 8" speaker in it that blows away most 12'+2" horn boxes. We couldn't believe the output from such a small box. They also make a coaxial 15" monitor that is perhaps the finest wedge I've ever used.